Travelling on the 12th April no deal

No1cherry

Hi, I am due to embark on Ventura on the 12th April, off to Amsterdam and Brugge, I am wondering after today's Brexit news/inaction if we have a no deal and leave on the 12th will this impact us. Not sure if it's been covered and not looking to start a huge Brexit debate just wondering if P&O have a contingency for this. Anyone else on the cruise?

2 hours ago, No1cherry said:

Hi, I am due to embark on Ventura on the 12th April, off to Amsterdam and Brugge, I am wondering after today's Brexit news/inaction if we have a no deal and leave on the 12th will this impact us. Not sure if it's been covered and not looking to start a huge Brexit debate just wondering if P&O have a contingency for this. Anyone else on the cruise?

From what I have seen on all P&O brochures and their site they are promising no issues re Brexit.

To be honest, how things are at the moment, I wouldn't worry re the 12th April ……………………….

My opinion is that if the UK has left the EU by the time ones cruise takes place the difference will simply be that you are arriving in a foreign country or series of foreign countries.  This country/countries might treat you differently, if you want to drive a hire car for example and also do a greater number of immigration checks.

The other issue seems to be the minimum of six months validity remaining on your passport.  All countries in the world seem to require this six months validity remaining at the date of your anticipated exit date.  A query which has been raised regarding UK passports related to "early renewal" situations where you have renewed up to nine months prior to your previous passports expiry.  Under this process "ten year" passports can last up to ten years and nine months and in relation to this it has been suggested by some people that the EU will not recognise validity of the "extra bit" only the basic ten years.  This might be a problem for many unaware of the issue.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

P and O have always required 6 months' validity anyway; I'm going to have to renew a bit earlier in 2020 because of a booked cruise, so as long as you comply with that there shouldn't be any issues. I am on Britannia from 6th-20th April and don't expect there to be any problems in Madeira or the Canaries. Anyway, if excursions are cancelled they have to refund, and if there are problems getting off I'll just stay onboard!

45 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

It certainly might provide a lot of added interest to your cruise, and if there are issues around passport checks and the like, it might end up as a magical mystery cruise.:classic_rolleyes:

I think the obvious but sadly unhelpful answer is that nobody can say with any certainty what April 12th will bring. I would certainly be cautious of believing anything, especially the current crop of adverts offering answers to questions when nothing is agreed. I just hope your cruise is not affected adversely but that hope has to apply to everything else on that day. It could be horrendous but I guess it will probably pass like any other ‘normal’ day. Let’s hope it does.

Having sailed on Celebrity a few times the Americans and Canadians never seem to have much of a problem at different ports. I am guessing (and it is a guess) that it would just be the same for us if we left the EU. As I said though, am not holding my breath so will cross that bridge if we come to it ………………………..

In the end it's about money: places that would like us to go ashore and spend money, on tours, snacks, lunches, museums etc are not going to put obstacles in our way. I remember when "Grexit" was a distinct possibility that all the Greeks were worried about on the islands was making sure that British and other tourists would still come.

I'm sure you won't notice any appreciable difference to how your cruise operates but just remember that in the event we are no longer in the EU and are without a deal by then, the Customs Allowances will be those applicable to non-EU countries - so if you feel like splashing out on perfumes & presents, don't exceed £390.00 per person!

6 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

It certainly might provide a lot of added interest to your cruise, and if there are issues around passport checks and the like, it might end up as a magical mystery cruise.:classic_rolleyes:

I like the idea of the magical mystery cruise. Or worst case scenario 7 nights bobbing about the English Chanel. 🙄

11 hours ago, No1cherry said:

Think P&O require a minimum of six months for the CP to release your boarding pass. Roll on the 12th April need a cruise 👍

Whatever happens, I am sure you will overindulge, get fantastic service and have a brilliant time away from all the Brexit nonsense. 

Very jealous... 

Andy