Why Transfer your booking?

Momma Mojito

I never realized there was a difference  so please don't but me down for asking this question.   I have usually booked with a travel agent but this time because the price on Princess site was less than on the travel agents site so I booked with Princess.  This cruise was booked less than 2 months before the sailing date so when I saw the price Princess offered I jumped on it and I did not realize that I could then transfer the booking to my Travel Agent.  

If you do transfer, your agent will retain that price and if they choose, can discount more.

With Princess - if the TA enters your Captain Circle information, they should get the same price as the Princess website. There have been times when Princess's computers are screwed up but in these cases people have just held the cruise with Princess and then transfer to their agent.

Why transfer the booking? My agent often has group space and also gives me a better price on top of Princess (regardless of what Princess lists). Plus - I deal with one person if I have a question as opposed to many inexperienced agents Princess has. I also value travel agents and if anything goes wrong, she has my back. Means the world to me.

My agent also has better insurance than Princess (but will book Princess if I want). Her policy is unique to her agency and I can't get these things elsewhere on my own (Pre-existing conditions covered if bought at final payment, not upfront and better coverage).

Not all agents discount cruises. 

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

Am I correct on the following scenario?

When booking less than 2 months out, full payment is due with the booking.

Transfer to TA must be within 60 days of booking.

Transfer cannot be done once final payment has been made.

The OP's current booking would not be eligible for transfer to TA ... ??? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

Am I correct on the following scenario?

When booking less than 2 months out, full payment is due with the booking.

Transfer to TA must be within 60 days of booking.

Transfer cannot be done once final payment has been made.

The OP's current booking would not be eligible for transfer to TA ... ??? 

I missed that. Once final payment is paid, you can't transfer. You are correct.

If the OP had held the cruise, they probably could have transferred it but I am not sure how that would work with the new process which may take days.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

We use to transfer and then buy insurance from our agent... now I buy insurance directly with  Travel Guard... no need to transfer at all for us.   My TA was charging more for Travel Guard insurance than what I could get directly from Travel Guard.... easy decision. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pris993 said:

We use to transfer and then buy insurance from our agent... now I buy insurance directly with  Travel Guard... no need to transfer at all for us.   My TA was charging more for Travel Guard insurance than what I could get directly from Travel Guard.... easy decision. 

Since a good TA’s additional discount is around 8%, that is some very expensive insurance.

5 hours ago, pris993 said:

Curious, maybe I am missing something....... what does insurance have to do with the OP's question?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Momma Mojito said:

I never realized there was a difference  so please don't but me down for asking this question.   I have usually booked with a travel agent but this time because the price on Princess site was less than on the travel agents site so I booked with Princess.  This cruise was booked less than 2 months before the sailing date so when I saw the price Princess offered I jumped on it and I did not realize that I could then transfer the booking to my Travel Agent.  

With very rare exceptions, the Travel Agent should not be charging more than the price you can get by booking with Princess.

When you say "travel agent's site, that tells me you did not actually ask the TA for a quote. TAs can match or beat any Princess price, but that price may not show on the TA's web site. You need to contact the TA., not rely on web site pricing.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Curious, maybe I am missing something....... what does insurance have to do with the OP's question?

Assuming you get insurance, then it is part of the cost of the cruise. If you get a good price for it, that saves you money. A high price costs. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, paul929207 said:

Assuming you get insurance, then it is part of the cost of the cruise. If you get a good price for it, that saves you money. A high price costs. 

I wrote that down.  Thanks.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1