Reporting from Azura - very poor, and much in need of that refit!

Harry Peterson

21 minutes ago, Babyeddiedog said:

That's a very good point. We opt for freedom because it gives us....freedom, but maybe we should change to club. I guess early is going to be WAY to early for us, can anyone tell me what time the late sitting usually is?

8:30 PM (sometimes 8.45 PM)

• Thanks 1

We have never had an issue freedom dining on all our cruises (well over 10) with       P & O we mix and match eating on our own or with other people never have we been served the wrong food or been on a table where this has happened, we use the MDR for breakfast and dinner. 

On our recent cruise back from the Caribbean I can say sometimes our fellow diners have not always treated the waiters very nicely a lot of the time the only interaction was to give our what they wanted with very few smiles and thank you's. Smiles and asking how they are gets you beautiful smiles back and starts off the conversation with them they love you to be interested in their life and will happily ask you about yours I cannot fault the staff and the waiters they were as good as they always are.     

16 minutes ago, Nellie100 said:

We have never had an issue freedom dining on all our cruises (well over 10) with       P & O we mix and match eating on our own or with other people never have we been served the wrong food or been on a table where this has happened, we use the MDR for breakfast and dinner. 

On our recent cruise back from the Caribbean I can say sometimes our fellow diners have not always treated the waiters very nicely a lot of the time the only interaction was to give our what they wanted with very few smiles and thank you's. Smiles and asking how they are gets you beautiful smiles back and starts off the conversation with them they love you to be interested in their life and will happily ask you about yours I cannot fault the staff and the waiters they were as good as they always are.     

We've witnessed the same behaviour, and I have to say it sometimes makes you ashamed to be British. We've also witnessed racist comments about people from the Indian subcontinent in full earshot of the staff serving the table - appalling.

If you book the saver fare when do you know what dining thing you’ll be on? 

I assumes we will end up at buffet anyway but if I get the 8.30 there would be no chance of us going to a mdr as it would be far too late for my little ones. 

18 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

I assumes we will end up at buffet anyway but if I get the 8.30 there would be no chance of us going to a mdr as it would be far too late for my little ones. 

Unless things have changed if you book saver you won’t get to know until you board the ship.

The advantage of booking a Select fare is that you can choose your preferred dining arrangements, Club + table size + early or late sitting or Freedom.

The above options should have been explained by your TA or P&O when the booking was made.

Edited by P-L-B

I too have witnessed a man shout loudly at the waiter for taking his wife's plate. His wife said she was finished, but there was no apology from the man to the waiter, he just turned away and carried on his conversation. 

So, not much to be said for the supposedly refined people who know how to dress.

26 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

In the buffet they have children's tea around four or five p.m. I don't know how the kids clubs work, but maybe you could take them for an early tea a couple of nights, then put them in the kids club while you have a  meal.

Someone else might be able to confirm if you can do that.

6 minutes ago, emam said:

I too have witnessed a man shout loudly at the waiter for taking his wife's plate. His wife said she was finished, but there was no apology from the man to the waiter, he just turned away and carried on his conversation. 

So, not much to be said for the supposedly refined people who know how to dress.

You don't have to be well or badly dressed to be rude.

Some people are bullies because they think they can speak horribly to the crew and the crew are not allowed to reply in kind.

15 minutes ago, emam said:

But these are the very people who simply pretend to be 'refined' and think it's somehow clever to show off how rude they can be to the staff - but in reality have no manners at all and just show themselves up as the boors they really are.

15 minutes ago, docco said:

But these are the very people who simply pretend to be 'refined' and think it's somehow clever to show off how rude they can be to the staff - but in reality have no manners at all and just show themselves up as the boors they really are.

Agree with you docco.

Unfortunately there is a minority of passengers that think the waiters are below them and make it know.

They treat them as their personal servants and are spoken to and treated appallingly.

It doesn’t cost anything to be polite and courteous and you usually find you build up a good relationship with the waiters and crew by being so.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

You don't have to be well or badly dressed to be rude.

Some people are bullies because they think they can speak horribly to the crew and the crew are not allowed to reply in kind.

How very true.

1 minute ago, P-L-B said:

Agree with you docco.

Unfortunately there is a minority of passengers that think the waiters are below them and make it know.

They treat them as their personal servants and are spoken to and treated appallingly.

It doesn’t cost anything to be polite and courteous and you usually find you build up a good relationship with the waiters and crew by being so.

Great description.

I think these bullies must have an inferiority complex and speak horribly to crew to hide it.

There is never any reason why people should talk to other people like this especially crew who can't answer back.

2 hours ago, emam said:

In the buffet they have children's tea around four or five p.m. I don't know how the kids clubs work, but maybe you could take them for an early tea a couple of nights, then put them in the kids club while you have a  meal.

Someone else might be able to confirm if you can do that.

Correct this would appear to be the norm the kids club is open until about 02.00. 

13 hours ago, docco said:

I've met this sort too - always amusing to take them down a peg or two, and it's pretty easy because they're not usually very bright!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jim Cox said:

I've met this sort too - always amusing to take them down a peg or two, and it's pretty easy because they're not usually very bright!

I agree, but when you are witness to this sort of behaviour towards waiters and crew it's difficult to intervene for fear of making a bad situation worse if you know what I mean.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, P-L-B said:

I agree, but when you are witness to this sort of behaviour towards waiters and crew it's difficult to intervene for fear of making a bad situation worse if you know what I mean.

Usually these people are bullies and would back down if confronted but they think crew just have to take their rudeness.

If things got heated there are plenty of crew and security to deal with anything physical and in this instance it is not worth risking yourself from harm or being taken off the ship for fighting.

Well, we are home now and feeling very gloomy ! Have had a lovely time.

Will write a full review tomorrow, but just to say, again, that we had a super cruise. Was everything perfect? No. Does Azura need some TLC with her refit? Yes. Having said that what stood out the most for us was the crew. Out of the whole team I think we only met 2 grumpy ones and they stood out like a sore thumb. Apart from on Oceana I don't think we have had the privilege to meet so many genuinely lovely crew members. They were happy, smiling, joking and were happy to spend time chatting. I am not sure what they are feeding them on on Azura, but we could all do with some of it ! Liked the Captain too, so well done Captain Howarth. We came away very impressed and were a little sad that  the ship did not have any future cruises that we could put a deposit on. Anyway, just such a lovely time.

(And we are not PANDO 'Cheer leaders' our next cruise is on Celebrity Edge, so we are happy to go with a range. It was ironic this morning as we sailed in to Southampton as we waved to Britannia (done twice) and Celebrity Silhouette(3 x). We also saw Sapphire Princess and we have an eye on her now ;-) )

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 8:49 PM, happy v said:

Don't worry Presto. A lot of us on here respect your views. Much more than the over exaggerated moans of 'mr. miserable'.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise, I know you will because you are a positive person, as am I, so I will also have a great cruise. Life is what you make it.

Ah, just read this, thanks :-)

We are so positive that we did a Wine Tasting seminar and then promptly booked another cruise for May 2020 on Ventura. Didn't even like Ventura but have booked the same cabin we have had on Azura so will give her another chance.

Book a Wine Seminar and end up paying for a cruise too ;-) !!!!!!

12 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Will write a full review tomorrow, but just to say, again, that we had a super cruise. Was everything perfect? No. Does Azura need some TLC with her refit? Yes. Having said that what stood out the most for us was the crew. Out of the whole team I think we only met 2 grumpy ones and they stood out like a sore thumb. Apart from on Oceana I don't think we have had the privilege to meet so many genuinely lovely crew members. They were happy, smiling, joking and were happy to spend time chatting. I am not sure what they are feeding them on on Azura, but we could all do with some of it ! Liked the Captain too, so well done Captain Howarth. We came away very impressed and were a little sad that  the ship did not have any future cruises that we could put a deposit on. Anyway, just such a lovely time.

(And we are not PANDO 'Cheer leaders' our next cruise is on Celebrity Edge, so we are happy to go with a range. It was ironic this morning as we sailed in to Southampton as we waved to Britannia (done twice) and Celebrity Silhouette(3 x). We also saw Sapphire Princess and we have an eye on her now 😉 )

Thanks for your summary and I am pleased you had a good time.

We are on Oceana in June and my daughter and future husband will be on board Azura for their honeymoon in July.

Looking forward to your review.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Ah, just read this, thanks 🙂

We are so positive that we did a Wine Tasting seminar and then promptly booked another cruise for May 2020 on Ventura. Didn't even like Ventura but have booked the same cabin we have had on Azura so will give her another chance.

Just how much wine did you get at the tasting 😀🍷

Glad you had had a fun cruise.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Ah, just read this, thanks 🙂

I believe that is called "upsell" or "driving invoice value" lol

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

(And we are not PANDO 'Cheer leaders' our next cruise is on Celebrity Edge, so we are happy to go with a range. It was ironic this morning as we sailed in to Southampton as we waved to Britannia (done twice) and Celebrity Silhouette(3 x). We also saw Sapphire Princess and we have an eye on her now 😉 )

Always nice to hear positive feedback and people enjoying themselves.

RC has been our main cruiseline for the last 10 years but we still like to do at least 1 short P&O cruise a year.

I look forward to reading your review.

Regards Graham.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, crompton21 said:

I believe that is called "upsell" or "driving invoice value" lol

Just hope that the lovely Maria (who did the Wine Tasting) gets the commission from that cruise price !!!!!

:classic_biggrin:

Edited by Presto2

Just hope that the lovely Maria (who did the Wine Tasting) gets the commission from that cruise price !!!!!

:classic_biggrin:

I know people occasionally moan about the time it takes to get a drink, but 15 months for a glass of wine to be delivered seems particularly bad service.

Or is that not what you are saying?

2 minutes ago, crompton21 said:

I know people occasionally moan about the time it takes to get a drink, but 15 months for a glass of wine to be delivered seems particularly bad service.

Or is that not what you are saying?

No, she was wonderful - an absolute gem. She led our Wine tasting and then we wandered off and purchased another cruise --- ha ha. Think she deserves the commission for the sale