Amount of snacks allowed to bring on board

Hi! We're leaving on Saturday for a 7 night cruise with our two young sons. My older son has sensory issues and is really, really fussy about snacks. And both boys tend to be bottomless pits. 

RCCL web site says you can bring pre-packed food in limited quantities. What does that mean, "limited quantities"? For example, those 28-bag chip mixes at the grocery store...if I brought 14 small bags of chips and pretzels and a few packages of pre-packaged fruit snacks - would they give me a hard time, do you think?

Thanks in advance!

When travelling to the US, one of my favourite things to do is going to Walmart and buy tons of candy that is not available here. And when I buy candy I feel like I need to order a truck that pulls backwards to the store entrance making that backwards-beeping noice.

When boarding Oasis last November, I had bags (many!) full of snacks with me! One bag was so full that it broke and I had to collect all the good stuff from the floor in the terminal. My mother was somehow embarassed, because I had so much stuff with me...but she was nice enough to give me an empty bag from her carry-on.

At security, no one cared about my snacks. 

But I do not know if there are any official regulations and rules. In my case, no one mentioned anything about the snacks that were easily visible in the bags.

Edited by AllureOfVacation

1 hour ago, perlotk said:

Hi! We're leaving on Saturday for a 7 night cruise with our two young sons. My older son has sensory issues and is really, really fussy about snacks. And both boys tend to be bottomless pits. 

RCCL web site says you can bring pre-packed food in limited quantities. What does that mean, "limited quantities"? For example, those 28-bag chip mixes at the grocery store...if I brought 14 small bags of chips and pretzels and a few packages of pre-packaged fruit snacks - would they give me a hard time, do you think?

Thanks in advance!

No limit, except for beverages.

1 hour ago, AllureOfVacation said:

When travelling to the US, one of my favourite things to do is going to Walmart and buy tons of candy that is not available here. And when I buy candy I feel like I need to order a truck that pulls backwards to the store entrance making that backwards-beeping noice.

When boarding Oasis last November, I had bags (many!) full of snacks with me! One bag was so full that it broke and I had to collect all the good stuff from the floor in the terminal. My mother was somehow embarassed, because I had so much stuff with me...but she was nice enough to give me an empty bag from her carry-on.

But I do not know if there are any official regulations and rules. In my case, no one mentioned anything about the snacks that were easily visible in the bags.

I love this!!  When we have been in Germany, we load up on all the wonderful chocolate and snacks that you have and bring them back. I also love shopping at Aldi because I can get all the wonderful products made in Germany. 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AllureOfVacation said:

Wow, all the wonderful German Chocolate and you go to WalMart!!!!  What am I missing?  I would go to Germany just to buy Chocolate.

19 minutes ago, LBumb said:

I’m always amazed at bringing food on a cruise

there is food at every turn but everyone is different

Excursions don't always have food and can last all day.  Having a Type 1 diabetic in the family, lots of snacks on hand at all times is a priority--especially excursions.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, LBumb said:

I’m always amazed at bringing food on a cruise

there is food at every turn but everyone is different

The OP stated her child has sensory issues, she is trying to insure she has what her child likes.  Nothing amazing about a parent trying to insure her child and the rest of the family has a stress free vacation.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

Wow, all the wonderful German Chocolate and you go to WalMart!!!!  What am I missing?  I would go to Germany just to buy Chocolate.

23 minutes ago, Choozin Croozin said:

I love this!!  When we have been in Germany, we load up on all the wonderful chocolate and snacks that you have and bring them back. I also love shopping at Aldi because I can get all the wonderful products made in Germany. 😄

Reese White, M&M Peanut Butter, Kellogg's Squares and so on, this is what you are missing 😄😄

But you are both right, we have indeed such a high variety of Chocolate. Countless brands and types.

There is an ALDI border in Germany. ALDI south and ALDI north. They have different offers and a slightly different choice of products. I lived exactly on that border some years ago, so I always had lots of choices that were on offer. Good value, but some products which are similar to the original brand product taste weird.

2 minutes ago, AllureOfVacation said:

Reese White, M&M Peanut Butter, Kellogg's Squares and so on, this is what you are missing 😄😄

Do not enjoy any of the choices listed.  Snickers, that's another story.

7 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

Do not enjoy any of the choices listed.  Snickers, that's another story.

There are some types of Snickers we do not have, this is always something I buy 😬

And after my frequent visit in the candy aisle I make my way to the detergents. Some of them smell so good. I imagine that a clean and well maintained US household smells like a mix of Downy, fresh baked sugar cookies and the lobby of Disney's Beach Club Resort. But I think I should limit my imagination 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

The OP stated her child has sensory issues, she is trying to insure she has what her child likes.  Nothing amazing about a parent trying to insure her child and the rest of the family has a stress free vacation.

Absolutely! My son has autism and he's so bothered by different textures, etc. I once bought the no-frills version of Pretzel Crisps and he wouldn't eat them. I imagine though at meal times as long as there is spaghetti he won't starve 😂

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, perlotk said:

Absolutely! My son has autism and he's so bothered by different textures, etc. I once bought the no-frills version of Pretzel Crisps and he wouldn't eat them. I imagine though at meal times as long as there is spaghetti he won't starve 😂

I totally understand, I have a niece and nephew with autism.  I make sure I have exactly what they like when they visit.  You should have no issues finding spaghetti, there is always some sort of pasta available.  If he only eats spaghetti, not any other form of pasta, just talk to your waiter the first night and they will have it available every night for him.

Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, reallyitsmema said:

I totally understand, I have a niece and nephew with autism.  I make sure I have exactly what they like when they visit.  You should have no issues finding spaghetti, there is always some sort of pasta available.  If he only eats spaghetti, not any other form of pasta, just talk to your waiter the first night and they will have it available every night for him.

Have a great cruise!

Fantastic tip, thanks! 

• Like 1

If you are on Anthem next Saturday, as I see you are in Connecticut, you can get snack size bags of potato chips in the Cafe Two70. These are also available on other ships in eateries like the Park Cafe.

Edited by robtulipe

We do not eat fried food.  We have taken 18 count Lays baked assortments (potato chips, pretzels, etc.) on board without an issue, in addition to other snacks. 

We have cruised on the Anthem three times.  Cafe Two70 ran out of snack size bags of potato chips by the next to last day all three times.

Edited by johnnyc256

18 hours ago, robtulipe said:

If you are on Anthem next Saturday, as I see you are in Connecticut, you can get snack size bags of potato chips in the Cafe Two70. These are also available on other ships in eateries like the Park Cafe.

Indeed, we will be on Anthem this coming Saturday. Thank you!!!