Jumped ship!!!!!

RYMOMA

Only have ever sailed NCL

just jumped ship and booked the Summit for May 2020

please help a Celebrity newbie out!!!

I got all my information from these boards from my first NCL in 2010

yes, I have searched the boards for info, but I need the guts from the tru blu Celebrity fans. 

Turn me off of NCL for good!!!!

True Blu Celebrity fan here!  I've never tried another cruise line, but from what I hear of NCL it has some downsides--most notably smoke control problems (yuck) and lots of lines, both of which are far superior on Celebrity.

I love the Summit.  She has such a cozy, comfortable vibe.  Certainly not the fanciest ship on the seas but very lovely.

20 minutes ago, jelayne said:

It would be helpful if you gave us a idea of what you want to know about.

15 minutes ago, LadyZoisite said:

True Blu Celebrity fan here!  I've never tried another cruise line, but from what I hear of NCL it has some downsides--most notably smoke control problems (yuck) and lots of lines, both of which are far superior on Celebrity.

I love the Summit.  She has such a cozy, comfortable vibe.  Certainly not the fanciest ship on the seas but very lovely.

Ok. Like what are the in and outs of the summit? 

Best place to pop a squat and relax with a good book?

Restaurants to not miss?.. we are not huge buffet fans

we love smaller ships, so the Summit is up our sleeves. 

We are not smokers? But my hubby does like a good cigar. So does the smoke control mean you can smoke on your balcony? Like can the hubby have a cigar?

1 hour ago, RYMOMA said:

We are not smokers? But my hubby does like a good cigar. So does the smoke control mean you can smoke on your balcony? Like can the hubby have a cigar?

I personally love the pool or solarium for warm-weather relaxing.  There's Cafe Al Bacio for coffee, pastries, and a comfy place to hang out indoors.  Sadly the library has been removed.  I recommend you check out the deck plans on Celebrity's website.  Best specialty restaurant is probably Tuscan Grille, though I haven't tried the others.  Main dining and buffet are also very good, as is typical for Celebrity.

No, you certainly are not permitted to smoke on your balcony, and violations are punishable by a fine.  There is one smoking area where cigars are permitted--check the forums for a thread on that subject.

1 hour ago, RYMOMA said:

I haven’t been on NCL although we have scheduled for next Spring. Rethinking that decision after reading their board.

Have been on Summit many times  there is no smoking on the balcony. Just a few assigned areas. The Sunset bar is a great place to sit and relax and watch the wake. It will be busy the first day at sail away but tends to be open after that. The solarium pool area is usually relaxing and quiet. Popular on sea days. Cafe Al Bacio ( fancy name for coffee shop) is a nice place to sit and relax. The ship is just getting back after a nice refurbish. One favorite thing for me is hand dipped ice cream in the buffet. No extra charge. Also, on the very top of the ship aft there is now a resting, relaxing area that does show movies at times. 

Maybe you can help me with NCL. Is there a lot of smoking, on balconies, etc. None of my family will go for that. What is the Vibe? Keep hearing people talk about it but they don’t say what it is. Have a great trip! We are on the Summit 8/20. 

Linda

Forgot to add. Don’t know what cabin you’re booked in but if you can swing it the cabins on the very aft have amazing balconies. Huge! And so relaxing to watch the wake and read and just sit. They are Concierge Class. There are 5-6 rooms on deck 11 very aft that are Aqua Class. Very nice balconies, too. All the aft balconies have a good amount of shade but also sun at the end of them if that makes any sense. They sell out very quickly. These large aft balconies are only on the M Class ships. If you have one if these cabins you don’t need any other place on the ship to relax. Lol We cruise Celebrity a lot if you have any more questions. 

Linda

We were also NCL cruisers until fairly recently, when we 'jumped ship' as you say!

While we have some excellent cruises with Norwegian (Alaska on the Pearl 10 years ago remains our best vacation ever, but also scoring a suite on the Dawn for under $1k was amazing), we were ready to move back to Celebrity with a 10 night ABC Islands cruise in 2017. Last year, to celebrate out 20th anniversary, we had planned to go back to Alaska but, with problems getting the time off work when the deals were being offered, we settled for New England/Canada with RCCL. That has led us back to X and we're headed to Alaska in August.

We booked during wave season and got the Premium drinks package, Wifi, $300 OBC and prepaid tips from X, plus we got another $375 OBC and possibly another $50 loyalty bonus from our TA. The main difference is we're not going to be stung for another $20 per day for gratuities on the drinks package!

Every line nickel and dimes their guests, but some are worse than others. NCL has long become one of the worst offenders, so happy to be rid of them.

Oh, forgot to mention...

The man reason we avoided X was that I was a smoker and one of my cruise pleasures was  to spend half the night at the cheapest blackjack table and smoke away. I quit and haven't smoked for almost four years now, so I'm really enjoying the relatively smoke-free environment!

I mostly cruise on NCL, but have been on 2 Celebrity cruises - soon to be 3.  My last one was in 2013, so things may have changed.  Here are a few things of interest:  

1.  Specialty coffees, bottled water and fresh squeezed juices are included with beverage perk.  (Also, the goodies at Café al Bacio are free.  Well, not free, but included.)

2.  There are sommeliers in the dining room to suggest and pour your wine.  

3.  Though you aren't big on buffets, the back of the buffet has a grill in the evening where you can get pretty tasty steaks if you don't want to go to the dining room.  (Had to go here a couple of nights after drinking too much in port.)

There is much more that is the same than different.  I was a little afraid that people would be snobby after reading that it is more "upscale," but I found most everyone very friendly.

Edited by Travelicious

Please don't get confused by the current April Fools Thread that smoking on veranda's is back.  There are only a couple of places on the ship where your husband can have a cigar and the Veranda is not one of them.   Which trip are you taking in May, 2020.  

16 hours ago, RYMOMA said:

yes, I have searched the boards for info, but I need the guts from the tru blu Celebrity fans. 

Food is somewhat better. Clientele as well(though not all)Much less annoying announcements. Just a feeling of being more upscale. If you were in the Haven on NCL, then I really can't say the Celebrity suites are better. If in standard accommodations, then yes, Celebrity is better.

17 hours ago, RYMOMA said:

You may want to check out my youtube videos on the. Even though they are from a few months before she went into dry dock, the videos will give you a pretty good idea what the ship is like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlKNEX_H9BY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMvqBkTmQH4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGEC_o5HNjY

Edited by existentialtraveler

The biggest thing I have noticed is that NCL will nickel and dime you to death. Not that X doesn't charge for stuff but to give you an example, recently NCL had a big sale. It was Four for Free. Free beverage package, free internet, free specialty dining and free shore excursions. All free. Until you called to book. The beverage package came with $175 in gratuities. The specialty dining came with $20 in gratuities, the free shore excursions were $50 off per port, per cabin and the free internet was 150 minutes on a week long cruise. Those just aren't free to me. On X, if I buy a Go Best package, I get FREE premium beverage package, FREE unlimited internet, FREE gratuities and some nice OBC. 

Another big difference is that on some NCL ships (especially the big ones) you need to play their system and make sure that you make reservations in advance for everything. Show have to be reserved, some activities need to be reserved (go carts on Bliss, etc.) and dinner in any of the MANY specialty restaurants has to be reserved. We saw people last summer on Bliss who had just boarded standing in long lines to make reservations for dinner in a specialty restaurant and heard them told (when they finally got to the front of the line) that the only time available was Thursday (this was on Saturday) at 9:30 pm. YIKES! 

You should never have that problem on an X ship. You don't have to worry about getting into any X show, but then again, NCL's shows are better. 

Jim

20 hours ago, Nanny2Trey said:

Forgot to add. Don’t know what cabin you’re booked in but if you can swing it the cabins on the very aft have amazing balconies. Huge! And so relaxing to watch the wake and read and just sit. They are Concierge Class. There are 5-6 rooms on deck 11 very aft that are Aqua Class. Very nice balconies, too. All the aft balconies have a good amount of shade but also sun at the end of them if that makes any sense. They sell out very quickly. These large aft balconies are only on the M Class ships. If you have one if these cabins you don’t need any other place on the ship to relax. Lol We cruise Celebrity a lot if you have any more questions. 

Linda

Always love the aft. On NCL we try and do he suite afts 

my hubby likes the butler bringing French press coffee in the AM..

10 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Please don't get confused by the current April Fools Thread that smoking on veranda's is back.  There are only a couple of places on the ship where your husband can have a cigar and the Veranda is not one of them.   Which trip are you taking in May, 2020.  

Actually had to switch to the June 6th 2020

forgot my daughter has prom when I booked the May 9th. 

7 hours ago, keithm said:

Food is somewhat better. Clientele as well(though not all)Much less annoying announcements. Just a feeling of being more upscale. If you were in the Haven on NCL, then I really can't say the Celebrity suites are better. If in standard accommodations, then yes, Celebrity is better.

We have been in the Haven and not haven suites. 

While they are nice, NCL seems to be pricing me out of cruising with them

10 minutes ago, DrKoob said:

The biggest thing I have noticed is that NCL will nickel and dime you to death. Not that X doesn't charge for stuff but to give you an example, recently NCL had a big sale. It was Four for Free. Free beverage package, free internet, free specialty dining and free shore excursions. All free. Until you called to book. The beverage package came with $175 in gratuities. The specialty dining came with $20 in gratuities, the free shore excursions were $50 off per port, per cabin and the free internet was 150 minutes on a week long cruise. Those just aren't free to me. On X, if I buy a Go Best package, I get FREE premium beverage package, FREE unlimited internet, FREE gratuities and some nice OBC. 

Another big difference is that on some NCL ships (especially the big ones) you need to play their system and make sure that you make reservations in advance for everything. Show have to be reserved, some activities need to be reserved (go carts on Bliss, etc.) and dinner in any of the MANY specialty restaurants has to be reserved. We saw people last summer on Bliss who had just boarded standing in long lines to make reservations for dinner in a specialty restaurant and heard them told (when they finally got to the front of the line) that the only time available was Thursday (this was on Saturday) at 9:30 pm. YIKES! 

You should never have that problem on an X ship. You don't have to worry about getting into any X show, but then again, NCL's shows are better. 

Jim

We love to relax, so coffee, books light music. 

Shows are fun but we love going to Bermuda and three days is best. 

We like the smaller NCL ships, but reservations 6 months in advance. I mean it is vacation and I don’t really want to plan that far out. 

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 6:29 PM, RYMOMA said:

We have been in the Haven and not haven suites. 

While they are nice, NCL seems to be pricing me out of cruising with them

What's the difference? I thought the suites were in the Haven. I'm familiar with the Villas. Are those different?

35 minutes ago, keithm said:

What's the difference? I thought the suites were in the Haven. I'm familiar with the Villas. Are those different?

We have been in the Gem Haven twice 

the time we were on 2013 and 2014, 

there were 12 villas and the diamond suite and garden villa. 

These had exclusive access to the Haven Area. It wa small and more intimate. 

Your key card got you in from the elevator. Super cool. My daughter loves being the one to insert her card and go up. 

We have done the normal suites,  as I call them, (Catergory S). Still the haveing breakfast and lunch in the designated Haven restaurant. but no special pool area and pool attendents 

I think the larger ships have a bigger amount of Haven suites, (catergory H) 

i have priced the 7 day Boston Bermuda in an aft suite (cat S) and for 10 days in the AQUA class I think I am getting a better value, and still get to go to Bermuda for the three days. 

30 minutes ago, MizDemeanor said:

Something is not making sense to me here. 

What do you want me to explain. 

I have never been on Celebrity, and I am just looking for info on the Summit. 

Since the refurb, I guess the normal has changed, and they have new things to the ship. I know nothing and just looking for help with a new cruise line. Searching gives me info on the summit befor the refurb. I have looke at that thread too. The pics are gorgeous!!!

I have cruised NCL seven times in the last nine years. Mostly on the GEM, but twice on the Dawn and once on the Spirit. 

If you want my input on those ships I can give you all my fav places to go and places to eat. You want info on Bermuda I can do that too since I have there five times. Love Bermuda!!! 

Just a new customer of this cruise line and in the past CC has been always helpful. 

On 3/31/2019 at 8:37 PM, RYMOMA said:

My husband is a cigar smoker also.  The port side at the Sunset Bar, at the rear of the ship, is the only location that you are allowed to smoke cigars.  It really is a nice spot.

If you like martinis, the martini bar is the place to be.  It is a lot of fun.  Even if you don't drink martinis, it is a hopping location.  

Qsine is a fun quirky Tapas restaurant.  Small plates that you share, all different international flavored dishes.  It can be a lot of food for 2 people, going with one or two other couples is best.

If you like ice cream, there is a gelato shop next to Al Bacio, the coffee bar, but the gelato cost extra.  You can however get ice cream for free in the buffet.  It isn't soft serve, and they make it daily, many different flavors to choose from.  The coffee at the coffee bar costs extra, but the pastries are free.  if you have the classic or premium beverage package, the coffee is included in the packages.

The silent disco is not to be missed.  Everyone gets headphones, and you can choose from three channels of different music.  The headphones light up depending on what channel you are listening to, and you can change the channel on the headphones whenever you want.  If you just walk by, you hear no music, but everyone is dancing.  It is a great time.  They will have the silent disco one or two times during the cruise, in different locations around the ship. 

Those are my favorite things about Celebrity.  We sail on the Summit in October.  Can't wait.  Have a great time discovering your favorite things about Celebrity.  Bon voyage.  😃

5 minutes ago, RYMOMA said:

We have been in the Gem Haven twice 

the time we were on 2013 and 2014, 

there were 12 villas and the diamond suite and garden villa. 

These had exclusive access to the Haven Area. It wa small and more intimate. 

Your key card got you in from the elevator. Super cool. My daughter loves being the one to insert her card and go up. 

We have done the normal suites,  as I call them, (Catergory S). Still the haveing breakfast and lunch in the designated Haven restaurant. but no special pool area and pool attendents 

I think the larger ships have a bigger amount of Haven suites, (catergory H) 

i have priced the 7 day Boston Bermuda in an aft suite (cat S) and for 10 days in the AQUA class I think I am getting a better value, and still get to go to Bermuda for the three days. 

What do you want me to explain. 

I have never been on Celebrity, and I am just looking for info on the Summit. 

Since the refurb, I guess the normal has changed, and they have new things to the ship. I know nothing and just looking for help with a new cruise line. Searching gives me info on the summit befor the refurb. I have looke at that thread too. The pics are gorgeous!!!

I have cruised NCL seven times in the last nine years. Mostly on the GEM, but twice on the Dawn and once on the Spirit. 

If you want my input on those ships I can give you all my fav places to go and places to eat. You want info on Bermuda I can do that too since I have there five times. Love Bermuda!!! 

Just a new customer of this cruise line and in the past CC has been always helpful. 

This helps. I’d not trade the Haven for anything on Summit. No matter where it goes. 

13 minutes ago, screwsmcernst said:

My husband is a cigar smoker also.  The port side at the Sunset Bar, at the rear of the ship, is the only location that you are allowed to smoke cigars.  It really is a nice spot.

If you like martinis, the martini bar is the place to be.  It is a lot of fun.  Even if you don't drink martinis, it is a hopping location.  

Qsine is a fun quirky Tapas restaurant.  Small plates that you share, all different international flavored dishes.  It can be a lot of food for 2 people, going with one or two other couples is best.

If you like ice cream, there is a gelato shop next to Al Bacio, the coffee bar, but the gelato cost extra.  You can however get ice cream for free in the buffet.  It isn't soft serve, and they make it daily, many different flavors to choose from.  The coffee at the coffee bar costs extra, but the pastries are free.  if you have the classic or premium beverage package, the coffee is included in the packages.

The silent disco is not to be missed.  Everyone gets headphones, and you can choose from three channels of different music.  The headphones light up depending on what channel you are listening to, and you can change the channel on the headphones whenever you want.  If you just walk by, you hear no music, but everyone is dancing.  It is a great time.  They will have the silent disco one or two times during the cruise, in different locations around the ship. 

Those are my favorite things about Celebrity.  We sail on the Summit in October.  Can't wait.  Have a great time discovering your favorite things about Celebrity.  Bon voyage.  😃

That all sounds amazing!!!! Thank you

homemade ice cream!!! I am dying already!! The silent disco sounds like so much fun. I can only image, just even watching it. 

7 minutes ago, MizDemeanor said:

This helps. I’d not trade the Haven for anything on Summit. No matter where it goes. 

When the cost gets into the 10g range. 

Yeah. I will jump ship. 

I tried to get my husband to go to an ocean view so we can cruise more.... he likes the suites too much to go backwards. 

We we usually go every other year or every three years. Need to save $$ to have the suite life. 

But also we try to alternate a land vacation between the sea ones. 

Our kids are getting older so we dont always have to take them  😜

the GEM Haven is my favorite of all time. 

One day, I will get back to her!!