Hobart. Immigration after Tasman crossing.

9 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

My guess is a cost-cutting exercise by the cruise line. I think it is likely they would have had to pay the costs of having Immigration officers fly to the 'previous' port, then of course they have to have a couple of cabins available to accommodate them.

I agree....

When we returned from the Islands last week we had to clear Customs, and Immigration from the terminal. It only took a couple of minutes but I guess if the ship is full and there is not space available then this is the only way it can go

Just now, Beanb41 said:

When we returned from the Islands last week we had to clear Customs, and Immigration from the terminal. It only took a couple of minutes but I guess if the ship is full and there is not space available then this is the only way it can go

On cruises into Australia from the islands, we have always had Customs/Immigration processing ashore in the cruise terminal. On cruises from Asia into Darwin and some other cruises, we have had the processing on board the ship prior to arrival.

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We're on Solstice at Hobart sitting and waiting for our group to be called.

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Our group was called at 9:45am and we emerged from the passport control area nearly 25 minutes later at 10:08am.

Many thanks indeed for posting this up to date info.

I will plan my day accordingly, and I have also posted this thread on our roll call for the info of others.

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

My guess is a cost-cutting exercise by the cruise line. I think it is likely they would have had to pay the costs of having Immigration officers fly to the 'previous' port, then of course they have to have a couple of cabins available to accommodate them.

I suspect that it's for more practical reasons than just cost cutting by either the cruise line or the Australian Border Force. There are so many cruises going to and from NZ these days so it would be impractable to send ABF staff on every cruise due to the number of days involved in getting them there and then crossing the Tasman. Far more practical to set up processing centres at the first ports of entry. Then it's only one man day per staff member per cruise instead of 3-4 man days per staff member. Plus some cruises don't always make it into the last scheduled port with good air connections.

57 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

Many thanks indeed for posting this up to date info.

I will plan my day accordingly, and I have also posted this thread on our roll call for the info of others.

No worries, but no guarantees they will stay that way in the future. 😉

32 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I suspect that it's for more practical reasons than just cost cutting by either the cruise line or the Australian Border Force. There are so many cruises going to and from NZ these days so it would be impractable to send ABF staff on every cruise due to the number of days involved in getting them there and then crossing the Tasman. Far more practical to set up processing centres at the first ports of entry. Then it's only one man day per staff member per cruise instead of 3-4 man days per staff member. Plus some cruises don't always make it into the last scheduled port with good air connections.

This was the way I was thinking.

On 4/2/2019 at 1:54 PM, Tranquility Base said:

Thanks everyone.

That would be great; thanks.

Also would appreciate knowing how efficient tendering is for independents in Akaroa if you wouldn't mind.

cheers.

Re tenders they were very efficient. However we left the ship after the rush was over and headed back onboard before the excursions started arriving back so our experience might be a bit skewed.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Enjoy Hobart.

We took a taxi up Mt Wellington and just about froze to death ... but it was worth it for the views. Taxi fare was very reasonable. The driver quoted us $100 and stuck to that although we gave him bit extra as we spent a decent amount of time looking around at the top. The bus would have cost $35pp so I was very happy to pay a bit extra for a more comfortable trip there and back plus being able to suit ourselves on timing.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

2 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

How much time all up would one  plan for this round trip including some viewing time up top ?

It took us about an hour in total. I'm not sure how long we spent up top though, maybe 10-15 minutes - not as long as we would have liked as it was too cold. You might have to negotiate a bit with the taxi driver if you wanted spend more time up there. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We took a taxi up Mt Wellington and just about froze to death ... but it was worth it for the views. Taxi fare was very reasonable. The driver quoted us $100 and stuck to that although we gave him bit extra as we spent a decent amount of time looking around at the top. The bus would have cost $35pp so I was very happy to pay a bit extra for a more comfortable trip there and back plus being able to suit ourselves on timing.

Nice one. It is beautiful up there but often cold even in the height of Summer.

13 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

How much time all up would one  plan for this round trip including some viewing time up top ?

Depending on time spent in port, there are numerous Hire car places near the dock, which may be worth looking into.

• Thanks 1

Thanks once again for info on the current procedures into Hobart.

Now, how about current eastbound immigration procedures.....Hobart - Port Chalmers (via Fiordland).

Anyone with first hand current  Dunedin arrival procedures ...ie what actually occurred this season?

Thanks.

I can understand the costs (either to Australian taxpayer &/or the cruise-line) and manpower load of ABF officers boarding every ship at last accessible OS port before entering Australia & thus the need to have arrival processing onshore upon arrival. Processing at disembarkation port would be expected by passengers upon arrival into Australia.

As someone said, it would be good for passengers to know ahead of time, when the first arrival port is not the disembarkation port, that they will need to clear immigration upon arrival at that port as it will likely impact their time in port that day in regards to tours etc. Just knowing would likely be a good thing.

2 hours ago, mr walker said:

I can understand the costs (either to Australian taxpayer &/or the cruise-line) and manpower load of ABF officers boarding every ship at last accessible OS port before entering Australia & thus the need to have arrival processing onshore upon arrival. Processing at disembarkation port would be expected by passengers upon arrival into Australia.

As someone said, it would be good for passengers to know ahead of time, when the first arrival port is not the disembarkation port, that they will need to clear immigration upon arrival at that port as it will likely impact their time in port that day in regards to tours etc. Just knowing would likely be a good thing.

Agreed.