Need Convincing to try NCL

lukeduke07

My wife and I are wanting to go on a short, adults only, trip while the kids stay at grandmas house.  We are non novice cruisers by any means.   We are platinum on Carnival, sailed RCCL twice and even sailed on Premier's Big Red Boat (showing my age).   We are just searching for a change of pace quick getaway since the other lines can get repetitive if siled too often.  

We are looking at a short 4 day out of Miami on NCL Sky and don't know much about NCL other than what our friends have told us.   We've been on larger ships and smaller ships and the smaller ones actually work better for us so the size shouldn't be an issue.   I just have a couple of questions:

1.  Are the extra charge dining venues worth it? the rate can come with a dining package.  is this every night? 

2. is it worth upgrading to the premium plus drink package when its open bar for everyone?

3.  I've searched about flights thru NCL only to find conflicting information, do the flights leave the same day as embarkation?  

4. If i decline the "free" included flight is there any money to be saved?  

4.  How is the entertainment on the SKY?  Lots of reviews for all the new ones but hard to find recent ones for SKY

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, lukeduke07 said:

My wife and I are wanting to go on a short, adults only, trip while the kids stay at grandmas house.  We are non novice cruisers by any means.   We are platinum on Carnival, sailed RCCL twice and even sailed on Premier's Big Red Boat (showing my age).   We are just searching for a change of pace quick getaway since the other lines can get repetitive if siled too often.  

We are looking at a short 4 day out of Miami on NCL Sky and don't know much about NCL other than what our friends have told us.   We've been on larger ships and smaller ships and the smaller ones actually work better for us so the size shouldn't be an issue.   I just have a couple of questions:

1.  Are the extra charge dining venues worth it? the rate can come with a dining package.  is this every night? 

2. is it worth upgrading to the premium plus drink package when its open bar for everyone?

3.  I've searched about flights thru NCL only to find conflicting information, do the flights leave the same day as embarkation?  

4.  How is the entertainment on the SKY?  Lots of reviews for all the new ones but hard to find recent ones for SKY

Thanks!

I haven't been on the Sky, but I will answer as many of your questions as I can:

The number of meals covered in your dining package depends on the length of the sailing. In your case, it would only be one meal. I have enjoyed all of the specialty dining restaurants I've eaten at on NCL ships. I always pick the dining package as one of my perks and the one time we didn't have it as a perk, I just bought it outright.

Only if you are very picky about your brands of liquor or are a serious wine drinker.

Yes, the "free or discounted" flights through NCL arrive on embarkation day and fly out on debarkation day. Some people have had some luck with paying extra to change their flights to fly in the day before.

I don't believe so with the current version of the promo. I booked my cruise for next week back in November and was able to save $100 of the cruise fare by declining the airfare, but I don't think the current promo works the same way.

You need convincing to take a cruise????? 😉

-Extra charge dining venues.....I've liked all of them.  Probably a toss-up between Cagney's and LaCucina as to which ones I like best.  Oh....what the heck....throw Tepanyaki in with them, too.

-I'm happy with the drinks that come in the "perk" drink package.  I'm mostly a beer and bourbon lover.  They have plenty of both to choose from.

-I'd probably forego the NCL flight perk.  Never used it, but from what I've read, it's 50-50 as to the prospect of it putting stress on your to/from travel days. I was on Escape about 5-6 weeks ago.  I know by NOT choosing the flight perk, I saved $100 off my fare.  Don't know if they're still doing that or not, though.

Sky is a smaller and older NCL ship.  The good news, NCL really takes good care of their ships.  I sailed the GEM last year (also an older/smaller NCL ship) and it was extremely well taken care of and clean.

Have fun.  I think you're really going to like your NCL experience.

15 hours ago, lukeduke07 said:

Thanks!

will do my best to answer, but will be honest, my answers are based on overall sailing on NCL. I haven't been on the Sky for many years.  Dining package; strictly a personal thing but certainly I would try one specialty dining room. the platinum plus drink package: unless you are very particular about the bands of alcohol you drink and the quality of wine, I would say, stick with the basic package. My husband for instance loves single malt scotch: there is one he like available on the basic plan. We love our Malbec wine: also available with basic plan. As for entertainment, we think NCL has outstanding entertainment for the most part.

Last but not least, you are aging yourself when you mention "the Big Red Boat" of course you were probably a kid when you sailed the line. 😉

We were on the Sky when she was in Europe a few years ago.  As graphicguy pointed out NCL really maintains their fleet well; NCL Sky was launched in 1999 so she's almost 20 years young & is in VERY good shape!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Sky

Will try to answer what questions I can:

1) Specialty restaurants are worth the extra $$ but tastes vary.  Don't go crazy & schedule one for EVERY night but do try Cagney's and LeBistro; IMHO they're the best.  DW is not a big Asian food fan so we've never been in Tappanyaki's.

2) We're not big alcohol consumers so I cannot attest to the premium vs. regular drinks package(s)

3) When any company offers a so-called freebie in a package deal I always remember what the late SciFi writer Robert Heinlein said: TANSTAAFL!!! (There ain't no such thing as a free lunch!!).

My 2 cents.

PS - What WAS the "Big Red Boat", btw?

21 hours ago, lukeduke07 said:

Thanks!

I haven't been on SKY, so this is more for NCL overall (and you did say you wanted convincing to try NCL.  First of all, I assume at 4 days, the price is reasonable...sounds like a great way to see if you like NCL without TOO large a financial risk.  Although the differences I've experienced between NCL and RCCL have been minor and not deal-breakers.

I'd certainly give one of the dining venues a try.  If you're looking for more of a "date night" atmosphere, try Cagney's.  If you're looking for something light and fun, try Teppanyaki. 

As others have said, I wouldn't upgrade the drink package unless you're a serious wine snob OR very picky about your hard liquor.  I usually drink a lot more on cruise vacations that at any other time in my year...but I'd still be totally fine with what's included.  Yes, I like top shelf stuff...but not to the point where I'd pay the kind of premium they want.

NCL always seems to do a good job with entertainment.  Not everything is a home run...but we've seldom been actively disappointed.  There won't be any true "Broadway-style" shows on a ship this small.

I say "do it!!!

4 hours ago, tomk3212 said:

PS - What WAS the "Big Red Boat", btw?

The Big Red Boat was absolutely the largest ship i had ever seen in my life!!! (in the early 90's) My first ever cruise.  At 38,000 GT it now seems like a life boat for the giant ships now sailing.  

22 hours ago, graphicguy said:

You need convincing to take a cruise????? 😉

-Extra charge dining venues.....I've liked all of them.  Probably a toss-up between Cagney's and LaCucina as to which ones I like best.  Oh....what the heck....throw Tepanyaki in with them, too.

-I'm happy with the drinks that come in the "perk" drink package.  I'm mostly a beer and bourbon lover.  They have plenty of both to choose from.

-I'd probably forego the NCL flight perk.  Never used it, but from what I've read, it's 50-50 as to the prospect of it putting stress on your to/from travel days. I was on Escape about 5-6 weeks ago.  I know by NOT choosing the flight perk, I saved $100 off my fare.  Don't know if they're still doing that or not, though.

Sky is a smaller and older NCL ship.  The good news, NCL really takes good care of their ships.  I sailed the GEM last year (also an older/smaller NCL ship) and it was extremely well taken care of and clean.

Have fun.  I think you're really going to like your NCL experience.

I don't ever need convincing to take a cruise. 😁  I just like to research and figure every detail out before making my final choice.  Its between this and an ALl inclusive in Cancun. 

Thank you for your advice! Im leaning on booking my flight separate just for the fact i like to be in control of as much as possible.  

• Like 1

If you are taking a 4 night cruise I would say you don't need a Specialty dining evening. The food on NCLnis good and dinner in the MDRs could easily impress for the duration on such a short cruise.

Do the marathon the drink upgrade. Take what fees and decide how many of the extras drinks you need to order daily for at least break even.

The flight is a use it or don't perk. Miami seems to offer food options for free or reduced fares  so try it, if value isn't there, book your own.

8 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

Last but not least, you are aging yourself when you mention "the Big Red Boat" of course you were probably a kid when you sailed the line. 😉

yes I was a teenager.  

4 minutes ago, Nola26 said:

If you are taking a 4 night cruise I would say you don't need a Specialty dining evening. The food on NCLnis good and dinner in the MDRs could easily impress for the duration on such a short cruise.

Do the marathon the drink upgrade. Take what fees and decide how many of the extras drinks you need to order daily for at least break even.

The flight is a use it or don't perk. Miami seems to offer food options for free or reduced fares  so try it, if value isn't there, book your own.

The promotion they re offering is a specialty dining package and upgrade to premium drink package.  Only charge is the service charge.  

I think everyone answered your questions so I'll give you my 2 cents on the NCL experience.  I tried NCL last year after 25 cruises on other cruise lines.  I too am platinum with Carnival and have also sailed Royal and Princess.  I liked NCL and will be cruising them again in a few weeks.  Overall I felt the experience was about the same, some things were better others not.  It was fun to not know exactly what was going to happen when and to experience the different ships.  I do like that NCL does not limit your drinks!

21 hours ago, lukeduke07 said:

I don't ever need convincing to take a cruise. 😁  I just like to research and figure every detail out before making my final choice.  Its between this and an ALl inclusive in Cancun. 

Thank you for your advice! Im leaning on booking my flight separate just for the fact i like to be in control of as much as possible.  

Someone who books their own cruises, flights and excursions because he likes to have control over how they go.

A man after my own heart.

th.jpg

12 minutes ago, NYcruzzer said:

Yep.. sailed in the Oceanic in 1988 with my DW and 18 month DD 3 night cruise and 4 day hotel stay in WDW.. It was the beginning of our 30+ year love affair with cruising. 

It was great - Disney World combined with a cruise to Freeport, Bahamas and a stop at Disney's private island in the Bahamas (Blue Lagoon Island aka Salt Cay). First cruise many years ago.

FYI, I just got off the Sky this past Saturday. This ship just had a drydock in January with a few major changes. Some new bar venues, like the Bliss lounge and The Local bar and grill along with a Starbucks have been added. Much of the general areas have new furniture and décor. I believe no changes were made to most, if not all cabins.  I had my doubts on cruising the Sky, but after the 5-day cruise, I would not hesitate to cruise her again. 

On 4/2/2019 at 3:39 PM, lukeduke07 said:

Thanks!

I have been on NCL sky out of Miami before......and to answer your questions.....

1.  Are the extra charge dining venues worth it? the rate can come with a dining package.  is this every night? ---the extra charges are definitely worth it, especially for Teppanyaki 

2. is it worth upgrading to the premium plus drink package when its open bar for everyone? ---we did not upgrade to the premium (at the time we went it was actually included in our booking, which was before they changed it from "UBP down to SDP" or whatever they call it now)

3.  I've searched about flights thru NCL only to find conflicting information, do the flights leave the same day as embarkation?  --- we have not chosen to use flights with NCL, we've always booked our own and in researching we've heard it can be a pain to deal with (not sure why though)

I will say that although NCL charges gratuities on for the drink package and/or dining package (depending on what you get), for the price you pay, it is still cheaper (in our opinion since we do drink) doing this instead of paying for drinks on your own and the dinners.

Hope this helps!

5 hours ago, NYcruzzer said:

Yep.. sailed in the Oceanic in 1988 with my DW and 18 month DD 3 night cruise and 4 day hotel stay in WDW.. It was the beginning of our 30+ year love affair with cruising. 

The Oceanic was a beautiful ship in it's day.  I sailed on her in 1979 and 1980 from New York to Bermuda and Nassau.  I was hooked on cruising too from that point on.

1 hour ago, emcelh said:

The Oceanic was a beautiful ship in it's day.  I sailed on her in 1979 and 1980 from New York to Bermuda and Nassau.  I was hooked on cruising too from that point on.

I sailed on Celebrity' s Zenith and Horizon to Bermuda out of NYC quite a few times ..Boy I miss those "smaller" ships. They used to berth right in Hamilton and St. Georges.