Considering the Summit

mkcurran

We got a great deal for he November 30th sailing on the summit. We had a previous cruise on her in November of 2015.   JMO but I would level set before you book.  If you are looking for amazing entertainment and a brand new ship experience then the summit is not for you.  If you are more into the itinerary and small ship experience then the summit is for you.  While we had a great time in November, I would not look to rebook the summit. 

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

When is your cruise and where is your disembarkation port?

2 hours ago, mkcurran said:

Another question...How early do they start letting people off the ship? Wondering if I could make a 10 am flight.

Ooops, I know see your disembarking at San Juan. The Summits scheduled arrival time is 7:00 AM. Depends on how soon the ship is cleared will determine how soon passengers can start getting off the ship. We wouldn't feel comfortable with a 10:00AM flight. Even though the airport is only about a 15 minute taxi ride from the Pan Am pier. At the San Juan airport it's mandatory you stop at the agricultural inspection scanner and have all your checked luggage and carry ons scanned before checking in with your aire line.  Maybe if you're doing self disembarkation and the ship arrives early or at least on time you might make a 10:00 AM flight. 

Just off Summit. Definitely a grill in ocean view. 
Yes there is ice cream including soft serve but not 24/7. 
Making a 10am flight? Why put yourself thru that stress. Pick a different time. Must have other options. 
the entertainment was outstanding those that say otherwise I question what they saw or what they expect in the middle of the Caribbean. We enjoyed all the shows in the theater. I will post some videos shortly on you tube. 

Edited by Peter118

On 2/14/2020 at 6:22 PM, mkcurran said:

Another question...How early do they start letting people off the ship? Wondering if I could make a 10 am flight.

If you talk to a Celebrity rep, they would recommend against it STRONGLY.  If you were to ask me, I would recommend against it even MORE strongly.  Don't know what port/airport this involves, but I would not recommend any EARLIER than 11:30 at best.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 5:22 PM, mkcurran said:

That would be pushing it.  I would opt for a noon or later flight.

If you really need/want the 10 AM flight I would carry your own bags off of the ship and hope for the best.  No guarantees.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NMTraveller said:

That would be pushing it.  I would opt for a noon or later flight.

If you really need/want the 10 AM flight I would carry your own bags off of the ship and hope for the best.  No guarantees.

Thanks all, may just suck it up and take the red eye back. Hopefully routes will change between now and then.

2 minutes ago, mkcurran said:

Thanks all, may just suck it up and take the red eye back. Hopefully routes will change between now and then.

Book a hotel and do a post cruise stay, enjoy OSJ, have a couple of drinks and eat something local. Take an early flight home the next day. 

I just got off the Summit Saturday.  Just my opinion but you should be able to make the 10am flight if you hustle.  2 years ago we made a 10AM flight off the Summit with time to spare. With the renovation the Summit is now using the same express  boarding and disembarkation as the Edge. To make a 10am flight you will need to walk off the ship or make ask the ship to put your luggage in group 1-4.  We always walk off. With rolling suitcases this is no issue if you don't overpack. Saturday the Summit arrived early has it usually does in San Juan. The starting disembarkation for walk offs by 7am. This year we stayed Sat in San Juan so we walked off at 9:00. and were in the cab line by 9:15. Under the new system in San Juan you walk off the ship on level 1. Go into the Customs building. Show them your passport, the ask if you made expensive purchases and you are finished. No long lines, No forms. Usually there is people wanting to leave at the start of walk off and only 3 elevators to take you to level 1 so it might take 30 minutes instead of 15. Either way you should easily be in a cab before 8am, it is a 15-20 min cab ride to the Airport. Today we took an early flight out of the airport.  The fruit and veggie check takes no major time. 5 min. The TSA line was long and took about 35 minutes. They did let several late arriving passengers in a express chute to bypass the majority of the line.  The precheck line was maybe 10 minutes. 10 Am flights can be stressful but as long as you get off the ship early you should be ok.

On 2/14/2020 at 6:22 PM, mkcurran said:

What is plan B after plan A doesn't work?

Seriously, you could make a 10:00 flight, but the odds are pretty good you will not.  At the airport, in addition to security inspection, there is an agricultural inspection.

If you are a risk taker, go for it, but have a plan B and your credit card.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 3:22 PM, mkcurran said:

Disembarkation for self walk offs usually begin at 7:00 sometimes a little early.  As lots of things can happen I would be nervous with a 10:00 flight.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Disembarkation for self walk offs usually begin at 7:00 sometimes a little early.  As lots of things can happen I would be nervous with a 10:00 flight.

And sometimes after 7:00.  Two of our last three Summit cruises, we had walk off and were not able to exit until between 8:00 and 8:30.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kenevenpar said:

And sometimes after 7:00.  Two of our last three Summit cruises, we had walk off and were not able to exit until between 8:00 and 8:30.

You are absolutely correct.   I answered before a reply that the ship was docking in San Juan.    With your experience even more reason to avoid a 10:30 flight.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, kenevenpar said:

What is plan B after plan A doesn't work?

Seriously, you could make a 10:00 flight, but the odds are pretty good you will not.  At the airport, in addition to security inspection, there is an agricultural inspection.

If you are a risk taker, go for it, but have a plan B and your credit card.

Trip insurance and tickets that allow for changes. But mostly asking up front to see if I'm nuts for even thinking about it. And that has been affirmatively answered.