Baltic Cruise - Explorer of the Sea

First time on Royal Caribbean. Frequent cruisers on NCL and Carnival.  We will be doing a 14 day cruise in June. Wondering about dress code in the dining room.  We have a 6pm dinner time.  Are nice shorts and sandals ok?  We are trying to pack as light as possible. 

Formal nights. I believe there are three of them. Can we dress casual in the specialty restaurants?  I don’t want to bring formal clothes for three nights but don’t really like the buffet so looking for other options. I have no problem paying extra for the specialty dining on those nights. 

Thank you. 

8 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Royal no longer enforces any dress suggestions, so you will see the full range of attire, even on formal nights.  Wear whatever you like.

Great. Thank you. I know it is a controversial subject. On NCL it’s pretty much like that. I have even seen people in shorts on formal night or dress up or not night or whatever it’s called now.  Lol. 

Have you seen seen people in shorts on RC formal nights?

One other dining question....  what do you guys think about nice shorts and sandals in the specialty restaurants?  What about on formal night in the specialty restaurants ?  Thank you. 

1 minute ago, rhinomike said:

One other dining question....  what do you guys think about nice shorts and sandals in the specialty restaurants?  What about on formal night in the specialty restaurants ?  Thank you. 

You can wear whatever you like.  Especially if the attire is nice.

• 1 month later...
On 4/5/2019 at 2:45 AM, Host Clarea said:

You can wear whatever you like.  Especially if the attire is nice.

Hate to disagree with a host, but we've  been on the Explorer since it left Sydney on 29th March and yes, people wearing shorts have been turned away from the MDR, also the dress code in the Diamond Lounge relating to shorts has been enforced as well...

On 4/4/2019 at 11:59 PM, rhinomike said:

Great. Thank you. I know it is a controversial subject. On NCL it’s pretty much like that. I have even seen people in shorts on formal night or dress up or not night or whatever it’s called now.  Lol. 

When ships sail from England you usually find most confirm to the dress code. You will find well over 50% in DJs on formal nights and the rest in suits.   I doubt very much whether any will be in shorts in MDR ( especially given the potential chilly weather...)

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1

On 4/4/2019 at 4:59 PM, rhinomike said:

None

Edited by squadron
spelling mistake
  • Like 1

Last time we did our June Europe cruise we didn't see anyone in shorts/shirts in MDR.  The dress ranged from dress pants/shirts or dress for ladies & dress pants/shirts for men all the way to gowns for ladies and a few tuxes for men.

We did nice dress with dressy flats with a shawl because it did get cool in the evenings.  Since we were in Europe for 2 weeks and flew cross the pond with no laundry available, we didn't pack dressy gowns or heels.  But we were very comfortable with our outfits and fit right in.  

Have a great trip!!!

• 1 month later...

So based on some of the above comments I am not going to chance shorts in the MDR. 

We are leaving in a week. We are spending a month in Europe with only a carryon so space is limited....  

What are peoples thoughts on nice jeans and a T-shirt. Can I get away with that in the MDR?  I would rather not pack slacks and a polo. What about formal night.... Will they allow me in the MDR with nice jeans and a plain T-shirt?  Thank you. 

5 minutes ago, rhinomike said:

... What are peoples thoughts on nice jeans and a T-shirt. Can I get away with that in the MDR?  ...

I don't think anyone would care.

When we went on our Baltic cruise, my husband took a long sleeved shirt and tie.  He had taken a jacket in the past, but not for this trip.  Low and behold most of the men wore jackets on formal night.  We were surprised at how many men were wearing suits and sport jackets.  We did not see anyone in sport shirts and jeans.