Passport renewal

hansol1966

As I have posted on another thread I did notice in a newspaper with Brexit looming (or not) that the 10 years on your passport actually runs from the start date not the expiry date where usually they would add on a few months if you renewed early giving 10 years plus a few months. My passport started  22/09/09 but expired on 22/02/20.......but the true expiry date is in fact 22/09/19......taking 6 months off gives a usable passport date until 22/03/19.  On the passport website there is a check for a current passports validity entering your relevant details.

That's for a no deal brexit,which is unlikely.My OH renewed her passport late last year and received her new one after 3 days.Via post office counter service.You don't get the extra months anymore,they are being cautious.

Edited by brian1

All I am really posting is if in doubt use the HM passports website, put your details in and see what the passport office say. Who knows how Brexit might unfold...I would always err on safety especially with travel documents.

The new do it yourself passport service online is amazing.  You fill in your details, take a photo against a blank background, upload the photo, pay the fee.  Done.  Send old passport by Signed For.  Got the new one in 4 days.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

The new do it yourself passport service online is amazing.  You fill in your details, take a photo against a blank background, upload the photo, pay the fee.  Done.  Send old passport by Signed For.  Got the new one in 4 days.

We tried that and the system rejected the photo for some technical reason.We opted for the post office and they take the photo for you and do everything.Only a few quid more.

Yes we did that Brian not every Post Office provide that service but there is always one locally.  Give them your old passport (which they send to HM Passport office) provide your mobile number and pay the fee, the counter staff then take your photo in their digital booth and send it on, very simple. No postage or photo costs , I received a email back in 30 minutes from HM Passports to say application was received, with daily updates on progress. Just under a week it arrived.

They no longer add on the few months remaining.  Your passport is runs for only for 9½ years now if you renew 6 months before expiry.  They changed the policy last year, but didn't make it public until people started noticing.

28 minutes ago, besberry said:

They no longer add on the few months remaining.  Your passport is runs for only for 9½ years now if you renew 6 months before expiry.  They changed the policy last year, but didn't make it public until people started noticing.

I seem to remember being aware of this from day one, or at least fairly early on. The reason given is that the EU will only permit a passport to be valid for 10 years maximum for non EU countries.