Nassau - Stay on ship or disembark?

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Mariner is doing those three/four night cruises now.  We have two booked already.  Mariner was our very first RCI cruise.  She was the one and only brand new RCI ship to home base in PC.  We welcome her back, though I still miss EN.  

Our only cruise from PC was on Enchantment February 2016.

Never been on Mariner so I think around Thanksgiving 2020 I will look closely at 7 nights Buenavistapalace Orlando and 3-4 nights on Mariner.

17 hours ago, crilski said:

Looks like a ragdoll doesn't she . . .  actually a manx & a rescue.  Found at 4 -5 weeks full of maggots - nursed her back to good health - and named her Maggie!

Aww...she is beautiful indeed!  What a sweetie!  Katie (my Avatar picture) is also a rescue cat (Tabby) .  Picture is of her being her royal self sitting in the "land yacht" (AKA motor home) as she travels with us.  

Edited by island lady

15 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Our only cruise from PC was on Enchantment February 2016.

Never been on Mariner so I think around Thanksgiving 2020 I will look closely at 7 nights Buenavistapalace Orlando and 3-4 nights on Mariner.

Sounds like a perfect combination!  I do remember you like going to Mickey's place.  😉 

55 minutes ago, island lady said:

Aww...she is beautiful indeed!  What a sweetie!  Katie (my Avatar picture) is also a rescue cat (Tabby) .  Picture is of her being her royal self sitting in the "land yacht" (AKA motor home) as she travels with us.  

Your cat is lovely.

Before I got married when I lived with my mam and dad I had a black Persian cat for 15 years.

He was psychic as he would always sit on the living room windowsill about 10 minutes before I got home.

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Your cat is lovely.

Before I got married when I lived with my mam and dad I had a black Persian cat for 15 years.

He was psychic as he would always sit on the living room windowsill about 10 minutes before I got home.

They are like that aren't they?  My Katie knows when happy hour is about to start, and meows for us to gather with her in our favorite spot.  Sooo funny!   🐱  She will be 16 this July. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, island lady said:

They are like that aren't they?  My Katie knows when happy hour is about to start, and meows for us to gather with her in our favorite spot.  Sooo funny!   🐱  She will be 16 this July. 

That's lovely.

I hope she is with you for a long time to come.

On 4/8/2019 at 10:32 AM, kristenb87 said:

Hi Everyone! My husband and I will be on the Navigator in May. One of stops is in Nassau from 8am to 9pm. We have been to Nassau numerous times and are considering just taking advantage of having a less crowded ship to enjoy for the day. However, I was curious if anyone has found anything fun to do in Nassau (not part of the typical shore excursions offered by RCCL) that would make it worth getting off the ship. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have!

Why not give back to the local community by volunteering?  We spent 3 hours at the Bahamas Humane Society, but there are other options available.  We booked through Hope Floats, a wonderful organization that connects volunteers with local shelters, humane societies, and other places in need.  

We spent 3 hours bathing puppies, playing with kittens, and walking dogs.  That left us with plenty of time to go shopping and then enjoy time on our ship.  Had we been in port as long as you will, we could have enjoyed beach time as well.  

46802529014_f617f73195_k.jpg

40573765073_3832a27468_k.jpg

47539770231_f13b54c4af_k.jpg

46816107824_65d148b7e3_k.jpg

47486994062_d7b362a0c4_k.jpg

32596957727_d7e125f4eb_k.jpg

They have other volunteer options as well in Nassau.  Cathleen is excellent at finding the right fit for you.  If this interests you, reach out to her and she will help you.  

*I am not connected with this organization at all and receive nothing for my support for what they do.*

Edited by Grenouille21

On 4/8/2019 at 1:54 PM, alfaeric said:

Just did the wine lunch a Greycliff.  Not cheap, but REALLY good, and you get to tour their 200,000 bottle wine cellar.  While there, we noticed a table of people who had cooking aprons on- so apparently you can do a cooking thing there, too.

When we go next year (which I'm sure we will sometime), we plan on celebrating our 25th anniversary year by having a wine around a 1995 something. Let the chef go wild.

So many things to do.

We booked the afternoon tea at Greycliff.  I can't wait!  Visited the chocolate factory on our last stop in Nassau...very good!

13 minutes ago, NewarkCC said:

How could anyone remotely conceive of missing a fun filled day at the wonderful Nassau straw market....and only steps from the pier!!

Are you being sarcastic? The straw market would fall on my list of reasons to stay on the ship! 😉

On 4/12/2019 at 1:39 PM, Grenouille21 said:

Why not give back to the local community by volunteering?  We spent 3 hours at the Bahamas Humane Society, but there are other options available.  

This is an absolutely wonderful suggestion. We did the same in Cozumel on our last cruise in February. We looked up volunteering opportunities and came across the Cozumel Humane Society. We didn’t need to make pre-arrangements. We looked at their website, checked their wish list, purchased some items that they needed, and took a cab from the pier to their facilites. We spent the morning walking dogs and helping out. We still had the afternoon to enjoy lunch and have fun. Truly one of my most rewarding visits to Cozumel. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tapi said:

This is an absolutely wonderful suggestion. We did the same in Cozumel on our last cruise in February. We looked up volunteering opportunities and came across the Cozumel Humane Society. We didn’t need to make pre-arrangements. We looked at their website, checked their wish list, purchased some items that they needed, and took a cab from the pier to their facilites. We spent the morning walking dogs and helping out. We still had the afternoon to enjoy lunch and have fun. Truly one of my most rewarding visits to Cozumel. 

That is awesome!  

And yes, you can certainly volunteer without going through an organization like I did.  I still think it is a good idea to give a heads-up that you are coming, so they know they will have volunteers and can make sure there is someone there to help you get oriented.  

We spent today volunteering at a local no-kill shelter's rescue and recovery site, assembling dog collars/tags and giving a puppy some play time.  Now I keep thinking about how to bring this puppy home because she is absolutely perfect!  Anyone near Chicago want a puppy?  I know a girl who needs an extra special home.