Nassau - Stay on ship or disembark?

We've gone to Blue Lagoon and the Colonial Hilton during previous stops in Nassau.  Of the two, we preferred the Hilton.  It is within walking distance of the port and was a super relaxing and great day. 

We stayed for five days near the Baha Mar  last Christmas and went to Clifton Heritage Park and loved it.   We snorkeled there and the underwater statues were amazing.  Lovely secluded safe area and a few cruise ship tours were there, but they were not large groups.

We had a rental and it was an easy drive and well worth it.

BTW, I love Rose Island and it is my favorite island.  Power boat Adventures is okay but only if you have plenty of time IMO.

Edited by Judyrem
bad spelling.

Been to Nassau way more times than I could count, and always get off the ship.  We enjoy finding something new to do almost every time, though we also have our favorite places.  We even got off the ship when I was hobbling with a broken foot that I managed to receive on previous cruise first night on Brilliance.  

• Like 2

On 4/8/2019 at 11:43 AM, Host Clarea said:

We enjoyed this:  https://www.trubahamianfoodtours.com/

Recommended to us by Carol (Merion Mom), thanks again Carol!

Definitely enjoyed that!   And now we enjoy going to see Ms. Wallace at Bahamian cooking that we found via the tour.  We walk directly there to see her for lunch on many stops.  Yumss!  

And thanks to YOU...as you were the one that originally passed that info on to me you got from MM.  

• Like 2

On 4/8/2019 at 4:32 PM, kristenb87 said:

Hi Everyone! My husband and I will be on the Navigator in May. One of stops is in Nassau from 8am to 9pm. We have been to Nassau numerous times and are considering just taking advantage of having a less crowded ship to enjoy for the day. However, I was curious if anyone has found anything fun to do in Nassau (not part of the typical shore excursions offered by RCCL) that would make it worth getting off the ship. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have!

A big attraction of cruising for us is getting off the ship and exploring different ports.

We have been to Nassau once and after walking around the shops and market we jumped onto a horse and carriage for a short tour around the town centre.

On 4/8/2019 at 11:43 AM, Host Clarea said:

We enjoyed this:  https://www.trubahamianfoodtours.com/

Recommended to us by Carol (Merion Mom), thanks again Carol!

We've done the food tour twice and loved it!  Also love Athena Greek Restaurant for Conch Chowder, Grouper Fingers, and Mai Tais, and walking up to John Watlings for a delicious Pina Colada.  We've never a bad day in Nassau!

27 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

A big attraction of cruising for us is getting off the ship and exploring different ports.

We have been to Nassau once and after walking around the shops and market we jumped onto a horse and carriage for a short tour around the town centre.

we have only been to Nassau once. This is exactly what we did. We also went to Senor Frogs for a cold one.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 1:54 PM, alfaeric said:

Just did the wine lunch a Greycliff.  Not cheap, but REALLY good, and you get to tour their 200,000 bottle wine cellar.  While there, we noticed a table of people who had cooking aprons on- so apparently you can do a cooking thing there, too.

When we go next year (which I'm sure we will sometime), we plan on celebrating our 25th anniversary year by having a wine around a 1995 something. Let the chef go wild.

So many things to do.

That sounds wonderful.

I have done the Chocolate Workshop at Greycliff.  I highly recommend that.  🙂 

• Like 1

We haven't been to Nassau since our honeymoon cruise almost 30yrs ago. I have been to several other islands in the Caribbean more than 3 or 4 times. They are basically all the same yet I find something different to do each time. I don't know why Nassau would be different. We have been to San Juan 5 times and have never been to the Rain Forest. This trip we decided to book a ships tour to the Rain Forest because we are in port 7-2 and we wanted to make the most out of the time that we will be there. The price was on par with a private tour company.

Edited by Iamcruzin

21 hours ago, Missymo said:

We have been many times over the years.  Last year we went to the chocolate factory at Greycliff, then ate lunch there.  It was a lot of fun.

Did you do the pizza restaurant there?  Have not done that yet.  Do love the chocolate factory, plus just walking around the hotel grounds...which are large.  

17 minutes ago, island lady said:

Did you do the pizza restaurant there?  Have not done that yet.  Do love the chocolate factory, plus just walking around the hotel grounds...which are large.  

The chocolate factory would be a busman's Holiday to me having worked for 3 chocolate companies.

Have you been to Atlantis?

If I can get Pauline away from the Jewelry shops etc Atlantis sounds interesting.

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

The chocolate factory would be a busman's Holiday to me having worked for 3 chocolate companies.

Have you been to Atlantis?

If I can get Pauline away from the Jewelry shops etc Atlantis sounds interesting.

No, have not done Atlantis.  We tend to stay away from the major tourist areas.  Love finding new and interesting local things to do in Nassau.  Always something under a new leaf to turn over for us.  

If you have not done the Greycliff Chocolate factory...you really should.  I still go to wine tastings!  🙂 🍷

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, island lady said:

No, have not done Atlantis.  We tend to stay away from the major tourist areas.  Love finding new and interesting local things to do in Nassau.  Always something under a new leaf to turn over for us.  

If you have not done the Greycliff Chocolate factory...you really should.  I still go to wine tastings!  🙂 🍷

Thanks.

We have 4 cruises booked till next March 2020 when we do a TA from Barbados.

We both fancy Orlando then a 4 night cruise from PC sometime next year

16 hours ago, island lady said:

Most definitely did.  The pizza was awesome, thin crust, just as we like it.  Walked around  hotel, then walked back to the ship as I had to stop at the drugstore. lol.  Very fun day. All the chocolates I made into  coins, split them up (there were a ton)  and gave them to all my friends when we got home.  They loved it. 

Edited by Missymo

We all enjoy cruising for our own reasons.  Some enjoy the ports and will get off every time and others stay on onboard.   I used to want to get off and be on the go when vacationing.  I'm a stay at home mom but my husband has a pretty busy schedule at work...with bahamas usually being the day before we get off the ship...he likes to have that day to sleep in and relax.  So, we stay onboard...get a massage...hang by the pool.  That is not for everyone and only you can decide!  

22 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks.

We have 4 cruises booked till next March 2020 when we do a TA from Barbados.

We both fancy Orlando then a 4 night cruise from PC sometime next year

Mariner is doing those three/four night cruises now.  We have two booked already.  Mariner was our very first RCI cruise.  She was the one and only brand new RCI ship to home base in PC.  We welcome her back, though I still miss EN.  

6 hours ago, Missymo said:

Most definitely did.  The pizza was awesome, thin crust, just as we like it.  Walked around  hotel, then walked back to the ship as I had to stop at the drugstore. lol.  Very fun day. All the chocolates I made into  coins, split them up (there were a ton)  and gave them to all my friends when we got home.  They loved it. 

Yup, need to do that.  Have several stops still scheduled for Nassau in the future.  I think we will finally do the lunch there.  Thanks!  Happy to hear you liked it!  🙂 

3 hours ago, crilski said:

We enjoyed the Bahamian Food Tour!  Walking, history, and food.   Recommended.

We had "captain" Ron.  He was great!  🙂  BTW...love your kitty, is that a Ragdoll?  Beautiful! 🐱

Edited by island lady