My EDGE (AQ) summary review

Jayandar

Just got off a week after booking nearly two years ago. Wanted to express some of my thoughts after being in love with Celebrity since 2002. I tried not to read too much before boarding but in talking with co-cruisers, I bet many of my feelings have been previously shared. First, the Good! The ship is stunning, and I loved the grays & blues and the variety of furniture. The pool is larger and better. The Rooftop Garden was nicely designed though often too hot to enjoy in the daytime. My AQ cabin was bright, had great storage drawers, shelves and cubbyholes, a larger bathroom sink, and a better sofa. I liked the electronic shade which really blocked out light, and the idea of the "infinite veranda". The dining options were greater in number. I have loved Blu for many years, but I felt the EDGE's Blu served the best food of them all. Every dinner was remarkable. For example, I had duck twice (prepared differently) that rivaled what I've had in some fine restaurants. The service in all the dining venues was as outstanding as always.

Now what I feel was disappointing. The room balcony/veranda was too small with no room for footrests or stretching out. The ship offered less views of water with Blu not directly overlooking water. The ship interiors felt "darker" and really more hotel-like. I missed the glass elevators with views of activity and entertainment. There were far less quiet areas and lounges and places to escape to read or just gaze out at water. There was no library, just a book cart. Shopping was horrible-no boulevards of shops, mainly high-end jewelry shops which never seemed occupied. Nothing like tables of sale items, Celebrity clothing, etc. I missed the Martini ice bar. The Sunset Bar was too small as was its mens' room (with one urinal!) The Fitness Center had nice equipment but NO locker/changing room, and one unisex toilet--who designed this?? Fitness classes were not actively promoted and we never saw any instructor or attendant. The pool level lacked adequate covered/shaded seating, and quiet areas. Walking to the forward section at top brings you to a screeching halt at the suite's Retreat area.

I found Eden entertainment to be on the goofy side, and unsure if the Magic Carpet was worth the loss of additional seating area on the pool deck. I missed the daily printed "newspapers" and puzzles from Guest Relations.

So...I am so glad I experienced this gorgeous ship but for me, the older ships were better overall. For the Edge, I'm "one and done" and am happy to have two future Solstice Class cruises booked.

• Like 5

Thanks for your review. Your experience seems to confirm a lot of the thoughts we have about Edge. One thing we've loved about Blu on the S-class ships is the beautiful ocean view, especially at breakfast. We'd find the new set up in Edge disappointing despite the good food reviews. The ambience would be lacking. One reason we like cruising as a vacation is we enjoy the sea views. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chemmo said:

Thanks for your well balanced review....

Yes, thoughtful and balanced. Well done, OP 👍. Did you experience any unpleasant odours on the ship? Wondered if it was improving at all?

Thanks for the updated review on EDGE AQ class..  Did you use the Thermal Suites or Relaxation Rm,...we thought that area was amazing...

Did AQ class guests get priority boarding or disembarkation, or a Special waiting area for disembark?  How was BLU acoustically?  Any lines,,?

Thanks

I am excited to be booked, but long time coming (2021)  As long as Al Bacio hasn't changed I'll be good, I spend almost the entire  morning there! MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM  And then I frequented the Sushi on Five every afternoon for their exquisite tuna appetizer.  Me and my cruise bud ordered it every day and took it to our Sunset Veranda on Solstice for happy hour.  Please tell me it's still available!

From what I've seen there is so much wasted space...i.e. the Forest area.  People are so annoyed with that. That could be bright and airy and better used.  They could install large umbrellas or some stable shade cloth up in the garden.  Hope that is addressed before we go.  These friends are next to us on deck 8 again, hope the verandas can still be opened and joined.

Ahi Tuna balcony picnic.JPG

Edited by BecciBoo

1 hour ago, villauk said:

Yes, thoughtful and balanced. Well done, OP 👍. Did you experience any unpleasant odours on the ship? Wondered if it was improving at all?

Yes!--but really just one night/early morning! Never talked about it with other guests or staff. Strange--it was like 4th or 5th day in.

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Thanks for the updated review on EDGE AQ class..  Did you use the Thermal Suites or Relaxation Rm,...we thought that area was amazing...

Did AQ class guests get priority boarding or disembarkation, or a Special waiting area for disembark?  How was BLU acoustically?  Any lines,,?

Thanks

No-didn't use those areas. Forgot to look for a Relaxation Room. Boarding was a cinch--there was no waiting. Blu noise was limited and only once did we wait like 5 minutes. With all the dining options, including 4 options replacing the huge Main Dining Room, many guests took advantage of trying those and the specialty restaurants. So Blu was never packed to the gills.

50 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I am excited to be booked, but long time coming (2021)  As long as Al Bacio hasn't changed I'll be good, I spend almost the entire  morning there! MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM  And then I frequented the Sushi on Five every afternoon for their exquisite tuna appetizer.  Me and my cruise bud ordered it every day and took it to our Sunset Veranda on Solstice for happy hour.  Please tell me it's still available!

From what I've seen there is so much wasted space...i.e. the Forest area.  People are so annoyed with that. That could be bright and airy and better used.  They could install large umbrellas or some stable shade cloth up in the garden.  Hope that is addressed before we go.  These friends are next to us on deck 8 again, hope the verandas can still be opened and joined.

Sorry but the Infinite Verandahs on Edge cannot be opened/joined...

Edited by Xport

We have a Sunset Veranda with a big  outside  balc booked for our next EDGE  cruise ..We will miss some of the AQ Class perks,  but are  looking forward the 4 mdrs. 

Hope they add shade and wind blocks on the  top outside areas..Rooftop area and Sunset Bar.

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:36 AM, BecciBoo said:

We were in a sky suite on the Edge.  Some things were wonderful- we dined in specialty restaurants mostly, but also luminae, the buffet and the main dining rooms.  I must say, the Main dining rooms were great.  Blu was dark and IMO not inviting as it was in a main hallway area-   I didn't dine in Blu so I cannot comment on the quality or food service.  We liked the high end stores- yes no $10 Tee shirts, but you can buy the cheap gifts at each port.  They had really nice shops IMO.  We didn't like the furniture in the sky suites- no dining table like on the M and S class ships- so that is a minus.  Instead a huge rocking chair in the sky suites, which I heard have been removed.  The infinite verandas as many have stated are really windowed cabins, with windows that open-some time, but the captain can close them.  The AC shuts off in the cabin if you open the folding infinite veranda door.  If you really what a veranda, book an aft cabin.  Shows were not good- but typical for Celebrity.  Staff was great.  We didn't enjoy eden- IMO a waste .  We did enjoy Le Petite Chef and the other specialty restaurants.  Unfortunately, the magic carpet also most days was closed due to winds.  The roof top restaurant was extremely hot and had no protection from rain or sun.  We love the lawn club grill on the Silhouette and Reflection and were really looking forward to the Roof top Garden to mirror it.  The loved the suite deck.  However the suite prices are very high.  The alcoves, are also a waste- no real privacy, a small area that is accessible to a parade of people walking by  

While everything was perfect, we have heard that the ship has been modified and we will try her again next year.