Viking River: hair straighteners?

Tarheel100

22 hours ago, Tarheel100 said:

Wondering if it's true no hair straighteners are allowed on the ship

Viking's policy on electrical equipment is easy to find in their FAQ, so there's no need to wonder whether third party reports are true or not.

• Thanks 1

It's a real problem for alot of women or it wouldn't come up so often on these boards.  And in one area of their site it just says no devices that produce heat and doesn't specifically list curling irons.  

I'm also very sure alot of women never even read the list and have no idea....cruise critic members are few on river cruises.

They do not search your luggage.

On 4/10/2019 at 4:32 AM, Tarheel100 said:

Taking the Viking Ullur from Amsterdam to Basel in late May.  Wondering if it's true no hair straighteners are allowed on the ship before I get my tresses cut off?! :>)  Thanks for any insight.

Carol from Cary, NC

From the Viking FAQs:

"Please note that heat-producing appliances, such as irons, steamers, curling irons and heaters, are potential safety hazards and therefore not permitted on board. Hair dryers are provided on board and in our hotels so you likely do not need to bring one with you."

https://www.vikingrivercruises.com/frequently-asked-questions.html

I've taken 3 Viking river cruises and brought my straightener with me each time. Not only did it not seem to be a problem, the cabin stewards always stored it properly when I left it out. I had never seen that note in the FAQs, so didn't know it might be an issue. So, they knew I had one and didn't seem to have an issue with it!

3 hours ago, Tarheel100 said:

I DID see that on Viking website, but it didn’t specifically say no straighteners so I was wondering if they were exempt ( but  not hopeful!)!.

Technically, a straightener would fall under the "heat producing appliance" category. However, no one checks your luggage on river cruises. Depends on whether or not you want to follow the posted rules - don't know that you would have any problems if you did not adhere to the "letter of the law" (unless you start a fire which is highly unlikely). 😉

19 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

It's a real problem for alot of women or it wouldn't come up so often on these boards.  And in one area of their site it just says no devices that produce heat and doesn't specifically list curling irons.  

I'm also very sure alot of women never even read the list and have no idea....cruise critic members are few on river cruises.

They do not search your luggage.

The problem is the number of Guests who leave hot devices such as tongs, straighteners, Irons, both electric & gas on and leave them on the furnishings in the cabin causing damage, evacuation because of heat & smoke detectors and on a cruise I was on the Nile quiet a serious fire.

Guests who leave hot devices such as tongs, straighteners, Irons, both electric & gas on and leave them on the furnishings in the cabin causing damage

How on earth do you have GAS appliances on a river boat??? 

4 hours ago, Hoyaheel said:

How on earth do you have GAS appliances on a river boat??? 

The gas hair straightener is cordless and is equipped with an energy cell. They still produce heat of course, but there is no need to plug them is. 

Edited by dogs4fun

I’m buying a new dual voltage for our trip as we have pre and post stays.  And where ever I am I unplug, put it in a heat resistant sleeve ( found at the container store or Amazon) to protect any furniture or my belongings in a suitcase and store it away. 

Edited by cruiselvr04

1 hour ago, Hoyaheel said:

In the US, cordless = battery powered. We don't have "gas" hair straighteners....

So in the 80's - we did this 6 countries in 6 weeks in Europe trip in high school. We were told not to bring any electrical devices as we had several countries we were hitting and it was easiest to just say that. I went ought and bought was a butane curling iron with refill cartridges. I didn't put it in my carry on and then there were no regulations. The entire time on the plane, I wondered if the plane would blow up.  I did say I was in high school (and ignorant). 

I just did a search and TSA says this now:

Butane Curling Irons (cordless) Cordless curling irons containing a gas cartridge and butane fueled curling irons are allowed in carry-on bags only. A safety cover must be securely fitted over the heating element. ... Gas refills (spare cartridges) are not allowed in either checked or carry-on bags.

Edited by Coral

1 hour ago, Coral said:

So in the 80's - we did this 6 countries in 6 weeks in Europe trip in high school. We were told not to bring any electrical devices as we had several countries we were hitting and it was easiest to just say that. I went ought and bought was a butane curling iron with refill cartridges. I didn't put it in my carry on and then there were no regulations. The entire time on the plane, I wondered if the plane would blow up.  I did say I was in high school (and ignorant). 

Butane Curling Irons (cordless) Cordless curling irons containing a gas cartridge and butane fueled curling irons are allowed in carry-on bags only. A safety cover must be securely fitted over the heating element. ... Gas refills (spare cartridges) are not allowed in either checked or carry-on bags.

Interesting - years ago I owned a curling iron with the gas energy cell as it could be used during camping in the mountains when no electrical outlets were available.

Although I had given it absolutely no thought, it makes sense that TSA would not allow the gas cartridges.

Edited by dogs4fun

OK, I admit fully I am wrong 🙂 There are gas hair appliances in the US.

I never think of them that way, but butane cells are gas, so, yep. I hear "gas" in my head and I do still picture a propane tank connected to a curling iron, so I'll just have to get past that incorrect image! 🙂

Had to laugh at the USB powered curling iron I found on amazon that when fully charged will reach functioning temp in only 30 seconds???   And, in a pinch, can be used to give your cell phone a quick charge???

It slices!!!  It dices!!!   Whatever else can it do?????

Now, how much would you pay??  BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE.............!

(it seems evident that I watch too much late night TV.....)

• Haha 2

This is a real dilemma for me. My hair is is a source of frustration even when I do style it, so I hate the idea of spending my nice vacation looking a mess.  I am by nature a rule follower, and loath the thought that I could be responsible for an incident with my curling brush. The battery operated ones still produce heat, so I'm not sure that helps. I will confess to using one on our past cruises, but now Viking includes the warning in the travel documents.

I've been practicing how to style my hair as I dry it, so maybe I'll bring my curling brush and only use it for a real hair emergency!

21 hours ago, Coral said:

Just realized how poor my grammar was above. Sorry people!

I am still amazed in the 80's with out internet I was able to find this butane curling iron.

Edited by Coral

I shouldn't make jokes about this-------my wife is quite concerned how she is going to "coif" her hair while we are on the ship---she's planning on enjoying her curling iron pre- and post- cruise, then stashing it away for the 8 days of the cruise.   If you're on the Viking Vidar Oct. 3-10, AMS-BSL, and see an unhappy woman with flat hair.....that's us!!

• Like 1