Trains

Roxxy

Help ... need some clarification from European train experts.   Taken from the Rome2Rio ticket web site ....

Base tickets are full-price fares and are ideal for passengers that need a little more flexibility. These tickets can be cancelled before departure with a 20% cancellation fee. The ticket can also be exchanged free of charge before departure at a Trenitalia ticket counter at any station. Up to one hour after departure, this ticket can be changed once at the departure station ticket office only.

Does this mean if I miss an early train I can take the next train no problem?

Thanks !

Do not purchase tickets from a third party, even if you can change them the process will be complicated and waste time that no one wants to use on vacation.

What train ride are you looking to purchase a ticket for?  There is no reason to buy a regional train ticket in advance, there is no savings to be had and it actually costs more than just buying at the station, due to processing fees.

We've purchased Trenetalia tickets a few times online in advance, but *direct* from Trenetalia on their own website.

If you do this, make sure that you don't forget to select the seats.

(I'm forgetting about Trenetalia, but some Euro train websites make it just a bit too easy to overlook the "select seats" part.)

At one point, we needed to change a ticket, and the Concierge at our hotel in Rome handled that for us.

GC

I agree...buy from Trenitalia. Depending on where you are going, the best fares are 3-4 months in advance. Or if traveling locally, as mentioned above, no need to book in advance. There is very rarely a reason to buy a full fare.

I also agree the third party sites are not the place to book. The only reason I might check them is to see the schedule further in advance than Trenitalia puts out.

We always buy from Trenitalia, never, never a third party.

Also be aware that there is seldom a need to buy first class tickets.  Also, train fares are priced according to schedules and types of train.  There have been several occasions for us when taking a slightly slower train, maybe 10 -20 minutes slower on Termini-Florence, or Naples, resulted in a significantly less expensive fare.   We find the Trenitalia website to be very good in terms of clearly outlining travel time, connections etc.  We have used it quite extensively over the years.

To further clarify ... this would be from Bari to Venice.

From what I am hearing, there is no need to purchase a first class ticket?  I was informed that it is a much better and comfortable ride.

This would be on a Saturday morning.  No need to pre-purchase our seats then?

Thank you for all of your insights ! :)

10 minutes ago, Roxxy said:

From what I am hearing, there is no need to purchase a first class ticket?  I was informed that it is a much better and comfortable ride.

Thank you for all of your insights ! 🙂

Bari to Venice is a rather long train journey - you do want to be comfortable. I would definitely pre-purchase tickets on the Trenitalia site with a seat confirmation (these are high speed trains, not the regional trains). There is a box to tick on the site where you will choose your seat -regardless of which class you book, you will choose your seat. Enter Bari Centrale to Venezia S. Lucia and you will get times and prices - view all offers for your date. I don't know when you are traveling but, I entered Saturday, July 27th. 2nd class economy price: Frecciabianca/Frecciarossa (there is a change in Bologna) - 44.80 euro pp. Super Economy price: 29.90 euros pp. 

Ist class is much more expensive and, IMHO, really not worth the associated cost as economy is perfectly comfortable - you be the judge (1st class base is 103.50 pp and 1st class economy is 64.90) .

https://www.trenitalia.com/en.html

2 hours ago, Roxxy said:

Thank you for all of your insights ! :)

On the high speed trains like the Frecciabianca and Frecciarosa (basically any of the trains that start with "Frecci" (which means "arrow" in Italian), the seating is comfortable whether you are in 1st or economy, and all seats are assigned. Sure, there is a bit more legroom and seatroom in 1st class, but it is nothing like the differential on airlines between these classes. 

On some other train categories it might be worth getting 1st class seats. I wouldn't bother with them on these trains (unless you find a super sale.)

Edited by cruisemom42

Thank you for your responses !

Our Cruise ship docks at 7 am and the available train times to Venice are 8:32 & 8:55 am.  Ideally we would like to be on one of those.  However, if there are delays getting off of the ship the next available choice is at 11:30.

I was thinking if I booked first class on the 8:55 am, I would have no issues changing it to the 11:30 am scheduled train.

OR .... do I just wait until we arrive (Sat Sept 14th) and see what we get?

If you watch fares, you can end up with a 1st class or Business class fare at a good rate.  If I know my schedule and book far enough in advance, I've had a Business fare as inexpensive as the later-booked Economy.  Free wifi, a nice espresso with a snack, and wider seat that can choose in advance that is the only seat in the row.  I sit back, relax, listen to Andrea Bocellini on my headphones and catch up on my local news via the wifi...

28 minutes ago, Roxxy said:

Thank you for your responses !

Our Cruise ship docks at 7 am and the available train times to Venice are 8:32 & 8:55 am.  Ideally we would like to be on one of those.  However, if there are delays getting off of the ship the next available choice is at 11:30.

I was thinking if I booked first class on the 8:55 am, I would have no issues changing it to the 11:30 am scheduled train.

OR .... do I just wait until we arrive (Sat Sept 14th) and see what we get?

Well, the 8:55 gives you almost 2 hours to make it to the train station. If you hop a taxi you should easily be able to make the train with some wiggle room (assuming you self disembark and your ship is not delayed). Personally, I would book the 8:55 as I think it gives you plenty of time. If you are more comfortable pre-booking 1st class, make sure that you book first class ECONOMY or first class SUPER ECONOMY - both are less expensive than first class base. Booking 3 months in advance will give you better rates than booking closer to your travel date.

Edited by dogs4fun