Anthem of the seas headed back back to new york

GMCOLT

Noticed on the marine tracker site that the anthem of the seas has turned back to new york area.  I would guess for medical issue. Tough week for royal sailings impacted by medicals. 

More than likely a medical emergency.  We stopped in Bermuda on our last night of our 12 niter coming back North.  We detoured to Bermuda and had the Pilot Boat take one of the Pax off.  It was a cold and raw day in early February.

Wonder why no Medivac helicopter.  We had a Medivac helicopter pick up passenger on our last day of our 9 niter coming South from Halifax in the August '19 sail.  

I guess because of the age of the cruising population, this happens quite often. 

We were on the Freedom a couple of years ago from FLL and were almost to Cuba.  Captain had to turn around and make REAL haste back to Florida.  Medical emergency.  Did that for about 5 hours when we abruptly turned around back on course.

We all assumed the worst.

2 hours ago, nelblu said:

More than likely a medical emergency.  We stopped in Bermuda on our last night of our 12 niter coming back North.  We detoured to Bermuda and had the Pilot Boat take one of the Pax off.  It was a cold and raw day in early February.

Wonder why no Medivac helicopter.  We had a Medivac helicopter pick up passenger on our last day of our 9 niter coming South from Halifax in the August '19 sail.  

I guess because of the age of the cruising population, this happens quite often. 

Assuming it is because of the 'age of the cruising population' is totally wrong.  Accidents happen to all cruisers and probably those that drink heavily put themselves in much more dangerous situations that are just plain stupid.   To the other comment 'this happens often' -- considering the number of sailings that happen week in and week out with the incredibly large number of cruisers on board, I would say the number of accidents/medical emergencies is quite SMALL and it doesn't happen very often.  Yes, you do hear about it, when it happens but in 27 cruises that we have taken, NOT one has had to be turned around or detoured for a medical emergency.   We had accidents happen on ships that did not require a medical evacuation and usually it was due to cruiser stupidity.

• Like 1

2 of my last 4 cruises had medical evacuations.

Here is a CDC report from 2018.   HALF of those seeking treatment on a cruise ship were over 65.  Age is definitely a factor.  And illness far outweights injury in terms of medical issues.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2018/conveyance-transportation-issues/cruise-ship-travel 

10 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

2 of my last 4 cruises had medical evacuations.

Here is a CDC report from 2018.   HALF of those seeking treatment on a cruise ship were over 65.  Age is definitely a factor.  And illness far outweights injury in terms of medical issues.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2018/conveyance-transportation-issues/cruise-ship-travel 

Half of those seeking treatment were over 65.....but I doubt that HALF the cruisers on a ship are over 65.  So it is a very dubious statistic report.

Just talked to Mom on the ship. Medical emergency onboard had to turn back. It will put them two hours late into Bermuda. 

Probably more and more medical emergencies as the ships carry more and more people. This particular cruise has lots of children due to spring break. 

Not sure why you think the statistic is dubious.  It is straightforward and from the CDC, which is the most reputable source of medical statistics in the US.  The point is that half of the medical issues involve people over 65.  I think that clearly makes age a factor.  But how does that compare to total cruise population?  Fair question.

As for dubious statistics, here is one on the average age of cruisers falling, from 56 in 2002 to 46 in 2015.  If that is reliable, then the medical issues are weighted to an older age only a bit as compared to the total population.

https://qz.com/330579/the-cruise-industry-is-trying-to-attract-millennials-looking-for-romance/ 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

Half of those seeking treatment were over 65.....but I doubt that HALF the cruisers on a ship are over 65.  So it is a very dubious statistic report.

If fewer than half the passengers are 65 and older AND over half of those seeking medical are over 65 you are proving Pelican Bill's point. I doubt that i have ever been on a RCL or NCL cruise where half the pax are over 65. 

I don't think his point was meant to be a dig at older passengers. It is a fact that people over 65 are more likely to have issues with heart problem, stroke, CKD,,etc than the average 30 year old. 

That's why the travel insurance for my 90 yo mom is 4 times that for all my kids combined.

As a person involved in emergency medicine married to an ER doc - I can tell you that Pelican Bill is correct.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Not sure why you think the statistic is dubious.  It is straightforward and from the CDC, which is the most reputable source of medical statistics in the US.  The point is that half of the medical issues involve people over 65.  I think that clearly makes age a factor.  But how does that compare to total cruise population?  Fair question.

As for dubious statistics, here is one on the average age of cruisers falling, from 56 in 2002 to 46 in 2015.  If that is reliable, then the medical issues are weighted to an older age only a bit as compared to the total population.

https://qz.com/330579/the-cruise-industry-is-trying-to-attract-millennials-looking-for-romance/ 

THANK YOU!!! You are correct with all of your statements; the statistic is far from dubious. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, forgotmyCCname said:

If fewer than half the passengers are 65 and older AND over half of those seeking medical are over 65 you are proving Pelican Bill's point. I doubt that i have ever been on a RCL or NCL cruise where half the pax are over 65. 

I don't think his point was meant to be a dig at older passengers. It is a fact that people over 65 are more likely to have issues with heart problem, stroke, CKD,,etc than the average 30 year old. 

That's why the travel insurance for my 90 yo mom is 4 times that for all my kids combined.

As a person involved in emergency medicine married to an ER doc - I can tell you that Pelican Bill is correct.

Yes, a 90 year old person is 4 times more likely to have a serious heart ailment or some other issues with their health....but I don't believe that their are 4 times more people 65 years old and older on a ship than YOUNGER passengers....that is why I believe the statistic is dubious.  

3 hours ago, Paulette3028 said:

Assuming it is because of the 'age of the cruising population' is totally wrong.  Accidents happen to all cruisers and probably those that drink heavily put themselves in much more dangerous situations that are just plain stupid.   To the other comment 'this happens often' -- considering the number of sailings that happen week in and week out with the incredibly large number of cruisers on board, I would say the number of accidents/medical emergencies is quite SMALL and it doesn't happen very often.  Yes, you do hear about it, when it happens but in 27 cruises that we have taken, NOT one has had to be turned around or detoured for a medical emergency.   We had accidents happen on ships that did not require a medical evacuation and usually it was due to cruiser stupidity.

You have been very lucky not to experience a medical evacuation.  I remember one month Freedom came back to PC 3 times. We've also sailed when we had multiple evacs in the same voyage. 

Edited by John&LaLa

4 minutes ago, Paulette3028 said:

Yes, a 90 year old person is 4 times more likely to have a serious heart ailment or some other issues with their health....but I don't believe that their are 4 times more people 65 years old and older on a ship than YOUNGER passengers....that is why I believe the statistic is dubious.  

IF THERE ARE FEWER OLDER PEOPLE YET A GREATER PERCENTAGE OF OLDER PEOPLE SEEK TREATMENT YOU ARE PROVING PELICAN's POINT.  Believe as you may, but your belief proves the point. Here is an easy example.

There are 1000 cruisers. 900 are under 65, 100 over.  66 people seek treatment. HALF of those are 65 or over. That means 33 out of 100 or 33% of those 65 and over seek treatment . 33 out of 900 under 65 seek treatment, which is  3.67 of under 65's seeking treatment. Plug in any numbers you wish. You are not calculating this correctly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, forgotmyCCname said:

IF THERE ARE FEWER OLDER PEOPLE YET A GREATER PERCENTAGE OF OLDER PEOPLE SEEK TREATMENT YOU ARE PROVING PELICAN's POINT.  Believe as you may, but your belief proves the point. Here is an easy example.

There are 1000 cruisers. 900 are under 65, 100 over.  66 people seek treatment. HALF of those are 65 or over. That means 33 out of 100 or 33% of those 65 and over seek treatment . 33 out of 900 under 65 seek treatment, which is  3.67 of under 65's seeking treatment. Plug in any numbers you wish. You are not calculating this correctly.

I look at it as a percentage of the entire ships population.  Numbers can be interpreted differently....you don't have to agree.

I'll just add that most injuries experienced by young drunk folks can be treated onboard. Broken bones, sprains, lacerations,  etc.

These are things the ship experiences with the crew.  I've spent more than my share of time in sick bay and these are things I've noticed.

Edited by John&LaLa