Blanton's on the Edge

doug52

Just back from two weeks on the Edge.  We were traveling with another couple and the two guys enjoyed evenings at the Sunset bar with a cigar and a bourbon.  Well, we recognized and he knew us, the bar manager Imade from the Reflection TA we did in '17. We spent many hours with him at the Martini bar on the crossing.  He was able to provide Blanton's bourbon for us to enjoy throughout the cruise.  I think he only had two bottles available on the ship and we went through most of it.  He also had,one night, a bottle of Lagavulin Scotch(one of my favorites) that we enjoyed.  We both gave Imade a nice tip at the end of our two weeks for his great service.

Blanton's is hard to find for me in California, so we really enjoyed having it most nights at the Sunset bar.

Btw,  I was able to get and take home a bottle of Blanton's Gold(not available in the US) from a liquor store in St. Martin.  

So, for any Bourbon drinkers, hopefully they have re-supplied Blanton's for your cruise.  A great drink!

Doug

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, doug52 said:

I was able to get and take home a bottle of Blanton's Gold(not available in the US) from a liquor store in St. Martin.  

The best reason to go to St Maartin is the liquor prices....and we too always buy a bottle of Blanton's SFTB  but we haven't been there since gold has appeared.  Our other always buy is Stoli Elit...

Yes,  I also bought a bottle of Springbank 18 year Scotch that would cost me $200 here, but was only $120 in St. Martin with no tax.  My favorite Scotch.

Doug

7 hours ago, Pushkin said:

thanks!  I have never seen Blantons on a X ship.  I will be sure to ask on our 4/29 cruise on the Eclipse.

Last year on Eclipse, I asked about Blantons, Bookers, etc. and was told they don't carry them on X.  I had to laugh because one of the  "events' was  bourbon tasting - kind of hard to do without higher end, single barrel bourbons.

Celebrity runs events for the masses.....for many, Woodford is exotic.  You (and I) would not pay to compare the bourbons on board a celebrity ship....but apparently enough do to make it worth their while.  They have a better selection of scotch and vodka, but they don't do tastings.  I have no clue why...probably no vendor will sponsor.

On our last cruise, I went to the Novo Fogo tasting ($) since I've never tried Cachaça.  It was held at the martini bar....and the "presentation" was on a small TV screen.  The bartender just mixed drinks to match the video.  A new low in Celebrity offerings in my opinion, but at least I had a chance to try cachaca. 

I’m surprised they’d have Blantons. It’s becoming fairly tightly allocated and I’d think they’d need a small state’s allocation for the fleet. Unfortunately, that’s the case with a lot of higher end bourbon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markeb said:

I’m surprised they’d have Blantons. It’s becoming fairly tightly allocated and I’d think they’d need a small state’s allocation for the fleet. Unfortunately, that’s the case with a lot of higher end bourbon. 

I live in Cincinnati and very near the Bourbon Trail - lot's of fun to do if you love bourbon. It's good to do with a small group and over a couple of days so people can take turns being the designated driver.  I'll be on Eclipse in a couple of days, so I'll have to check it out and see if their selection has improved.

On 4/14/2019 at 6:41 AM, doug52 said:

Just back from two weeks on the Edge.  We were traveling with another couple and the two guys enjoyed evenings at the Sunset bar with a cigar and a bourbon.  Well, we recognized and he knew us, the bar manager Imade from the Reflection TA we did in '17. We spent many hours with him at the Martini bar on the crossing.  He was able to provide Blanton's bourbon for us to enjoy throughout the cruise.  I think he only had two bottles available on the ship and we went through most of it.  He also had,one night, a bottle of Lagavulin Scotch(one of my favorites) that we enjoyed.  We both gave Imade a nice tip at the end of our two weeks for his great service.

Blanton's is hard to find for me in California, so we really enjoyed having it most nights at the Sunset bar.

Btw,  I was able to get and take home a bottle of Blanton's Gold(not available in the US) from a liquor store in St. Martin.  

So, for any Bourbon drinkers, hopefully they have re-supplied Blanton's for your cruise.  A great drink!

Doug

Now if I could find a nice bottle of Whistle Pig "Boss Hog" on board!!!! 😒

They have premium bourbon on board you just have to look for it.  

My wife ordered a Whiskey Milkshake in Cafe al Bacio from the  after 6 menu.

it is made with Woodford, Cocoa White, Frangelico and costs $14.   My wife seen them using 10 High.   She said that it is supposed to be Woodford and they told her that 10 High was the same and actually better.

I guess they were right as I seen it hidden behind some bottles on the lower shelf at the pool bar. 😱

We had the premium drink pack so it really didn’t matter but if someone didn’t and paid $14 it would be a rip.  A bottle of 10 High is about $10 and I think that is where the name came from, if you paid $10 you paid a high price.  🤗

A few few years ago we got to know a few BTs and they all said that they best value was the Classic package as 90% of the drinks that passengers drink are covered by the classic.  

The only way way to get the premium stuff is by requesting it or getting a drink that lists the premium as the ingredient unless you are at Cafe al Bacio.  

A few years ago they did carry Knob Creek, Basil Hayden, Blanton, Booker’s, and Bakers.   I think they don’t carry it anymore because they change suppliers.  Now they have added  Bulliet,  and still have Woodford, Woodford Double Oak, Markers, Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, and 10 High.  

I think they may occasionally have some special stray bottles of really high premium stuff that was left over that was bought especially for some VIP and that is why there were those bottles of Blantons on board.  

If anyone is interested on board the Edge they have special bottles of Bourbon being  sold in the duty free Liquor Store that is single barrel made especially for the Edge.   I think it is Woodford.   I don’t really remember.  

Drink up 🥂🍸🥃🍻🍹🍾

Edited by miched