Ocean Medallion Question Thread - Part 1

Host CJSKIDS

On 4/15/2019 at 5:58 PM, shutterbug63 said:

Anyone else with a Samsung Galaxy having issues?

I am on a Samsung 9 and cannot get it to recognize my booking. Called them and confirmed that (1) I downloaded the app properly (2) registered correctly and (3) my booking should connect as others on that voyage are connecting.  They opened a 'ticket' to try to find out why.

Is anyone on a droid able to get thru?

20 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I am on a Samsung 9 and cannot get it to recognize my booking. Called them and confirmed that (1) I downloaded the app properly (2) registered correctly and (3) my booking should connect as others on that voyage are connecting.  They opened a 'ticket' to try to find out why.

Went back to Google play & read reviews. It wont work on droids. You have to have an iPhone or iPad. I'm not buying one of those to get 1 app so they'll just have to give me the medallion at check in 🤬

7 minutes ago, chinita415 said:

I have a Galaxy S8 and no issues with Ocean Ready or the other apps on board the Royal last week. 

Were you able to get your trip added and order the Medallion ahead of time?

4 hours ago, Ombud said:

I have an HTC One, and am able to get it to work ... mostly.

75 days out, and the App had problems adding the cruise. I went online, and was able to see the cruise was in my account (app must have worked). Logged out of the app, and logged back in, and it then showed the cruise. At that point, I was able to do stuff with the app.

Is the website for the Medallion different than the Princess site? FWIW help desk says it's in my account, removed app, deleted cookies, reinstalled app, still won't work. Help desk unsure why but says they'll give me one during checking in 

Edited by Ombud

On 4/16/2019 at 1:12 PM, AF-1 said:

...  Everyone needs a security photo;  I read above that some people don't like their security photo.  You can change it in the ocean ready app up to the time you actually order your medallion;  once your medallion has been ordered you won't be able to change security photo until you get on board.  You can take a new one when you board.  The security personal are there with their ipads and can take a photo.  Any more questions let me know; I will be glad to help.  I enjoyed using the medallion; I enjoyed the digital touch screen by all the elevators.  

Actually you can add/change your security photo after you receive your medallions.  I didn't set up our medallions at all until after we had received them, and I added our pictures about a week before our cruise.

42 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Is the website for the Medallion different than the Princess site? FWIW help desk says it's in my account, removed app, deleted cookies, reinstalled app, still won't work. Help desk unsure why but says they'll give me one during checking in 

Ocean.com - which I don't think I've ever been officially told of by Princess - but got the link here on CC.

My wife had trouble getting the ocean ready app/website to work with her e-mail address (same address we use for the booking on princess.com)

I stepped in and while I was not able to resolve the issue for her address, I tried creating an account under my e-mail address and was able to link to our princess booking just fine.  The link is the booking ID and whatever else it uses to verify you.  The e-mail address for the ocean ready login doesn't matter.

Bearing in mind this is a sample size of exactly one, using the same e-mail address as the booking on princess was problematic, using another one worked just fine.  If you're having trouble you might consider creating a fresh account under a travel companion's e-mail address.

12 hours ago, Ombud said:

I have used my Samsung 9 on four medallion cruises and have had no problem setting everything up thru Ocean Ready. The cruise personalizer showed a medallion icon in the guest check in box when I was able to go in and add my journey and set everything up. 

For all those who it works for, great. Not worth the headache of trying to get it to work prior to boarding CP in July 2019 for me. And hoping Golden isn't on it in November 2019

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Barry H said:

No one has answered the question about how the medallion interacts with pacemakers.

I can't have a magnet near my pacemaker.

The Medallion is an RFID chip. You can read about pacemaker interaction here:

https://www.bostonscientific.com/content/dam/bostonscientific/quality/education-resources/english-a4/EN_ACL_RFID_20170811.pdf

If you are worried about it, get the wristband holder to keep it far away from the pacemaker (vs the lanyard, where the chip may be right over the pacemaker.

Given that the clientele of Princess tends to be older, I hope they took pacemakers into account when selecting an RFID chip.

Edited by richmke

8 hours ago, Pamster said:

Ocean.com - which I don't think I've ever been officially told of by Princess - but got the link here on CC.

They were going to use this website but according to what I've been told more than once, it isn't working.

We had our first encounter with the Medallion on the Royal recently.  Worked well, didn't receive prior to the cruise, opened the cabin door each and every time, was recognized at specialty coffee stand prior to order, etc.  Only comment I would have is you can't tell one from another (me and my husband) and once getting off in port I must of had his and when I went through security (with card and Medallion), I got "flagged" and ushered over to a third security person at a computer who asked me cabin #, etc. He then told me it was 'ok' to get off and when I asked what the problem was -- he just said everything is ok, you can get off. After that, I would double check our Medallions prior to leaving the ship by stepping out of the cabin and touching it to the screen and it would say whose it was.  We're both Elite and they looked exactly the same to me.  Will they always require both the card and the Medallion when getting off?  

2 hours ago, richmke said:

https://www.bostonscientific.com/content/dam/bostonscientific/quality/education-resources/english-a4/EN_ACL_RFID_20170811.pdf

If you are worried about it, get the wristband holder to keep it far away from the pacemaker (vs the lanyard, where the chip may be right over the pacemaker.

Given that the clientele of Princess tends to be older, I hope they took pacemakers into account when selecting an RFID chip.

Unless this info/reference is supplied by Princess I would not feel comfortable using this info.

11 minutes ago, jamesnnb said:

Only comment I would have is you can't tell one from another (me and my husband) and once getting off in port I must of had his and when I went through security (with card and Medallion), I got "flagged" and ushered over to a third security person at a computer who asked me cabin #, etc. He then told me it was 'ok' to get off and when I asked what the problem was -- he just said everything is ok, you can get off. After that, I would double check our Medallions prior to leaving the ship by stepping out of the cabin and touching it to the screen and it would say whose it was.  We're both Elite and they looked exactly the same to me.  Will they always require both the card and the Medallion when getting off?  

Ours had our names names imprinted on them.

15 minutes ago, jamesnnb said:

Keith:  Perhaps since we received ours at check in and not prior, it wasn't imprinted?  

Thanks........

Yeah that's what I figured. I am sure there will be a number of passengers on every cruise that will not have the name on them and for various reasons. The program has a lot of glitches so it is a learning process for everyone.

5 hours ago, richmke said:

It´s been discussed in another thread. Medallion has no RFID chip but Bluetooth and NFC. So there is a battery inside for Bluetooth. Plus there is a magnet (I think mainly to "fix" it into the devices sold to hold it).

steamboats

On the order page for the Medallion accessories, it has a Sport Bottle and Notebook. There is no description about them. Do they hold the Medallion? Or, are they just Ocean Logo products?

Also, I know it is waterproof for swimming pools. Is it waterproof for snorkling (deeper water)? How deep is it considered "waterproof"? I wouldn't trust its "waterproof" for scuba diving.