Ocean Medallion Question Thread - Part 1

Host CJSKIDS

On 5/4/2019 at 4:09 PM, MGnut said:

According to the Princess website, the Grand Princess is not shown as getting the MedallionNet option in either 2019 or 2020. See link, below:

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion/medallionnet/

That's not how I read it. I saw it as the list thru 2019 & the date Enchanted Princess is coming. Unfortunately I'm off the Golden in early December 2019 so 1 more with cards after Caribbean with medallion 

Has anyone seen the price point of necklaces onboard?

Screenshot_20190507-105517_Chrome.jpg

On 5/5/2019 at 7:04 PM, Asquare said:

We just got off the Royal Princess.  Our experience is as follows:

1) I got us Ocean Ready atone using an i-phone.  I just followed the instructions and went in order.  I ordered the Medallions at the end of the process.

2)  The Medallions arrived via FedEx about 2 weeks before our cruise.  They were engraved with our names and the correct color for our Captain’s Club level.

3). We used a Fitbit Zip wristband that we purchased on Amazon instead of the lanyards.  The doors opened fine without removing it from the band.  If we were sitting at the actual bar the bartender could see us on his register and we didn’t need to remove it.  The only time we actually had to hand it to anyone was the servers in the Piazza for some reason the Medallion had to be perfectly flat on their device.  Some servers would still ask for a room number as well.

4)  We left our phones in the room for the most part.  People were using their phones and the Play Ocean app to play interactive games by the pool and in Princess Live.

5)  Ocean Concierge is still a webpage not an app.  It still refuses to work on Android products.  But the big new screens by the elevators have all the activities listed and can give directions to any venue.

6) The best app is Ocean Compass.  You can set up your traveling companions and find them on the ship. 

7). Getting off and on the ship is a snap with the Medallion.  It really speeds things up,

In my opinion this was much easier than having to worry about a cruise card.  There is no need to carry your phone around unless you are really into the apps.  I didn’t feel like my privacy was invaded.  

Thanks for the review.  I also have an android phone and will be on the Royal a week from Saturday.

• Like 2

Princess to add six more ships to Ocean Medallion.

Princess Cruises today announced the expansion of its Medallion Class to six additional ships in 2020 – Ruby Princess (January 27), Grand Princess (March 29), Enchanted Princess (June 15), Emerald Princess (August 16), Coral Princess (October 16), and Island Princess (December 20).

MedallionClass Vacations are currently available on Caribbean Princess, Regal Princess and Royal Princess, with Crown Princess starting July 24 and Sky Princess beginning October 12, 2019 when the newest ship in the Princess fleet departs the shipyard as the first to be built from the ground up with the Ocean Guest Experience Platform.

By the end of 2020, guests sailing in the Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal, Europe, Australia/New Zealand, Mexico, California Coast and on the World Cruise will have the elevated guest experience powered by the OceanMedallion.

2 hours ago, azdmelani said:

Thanks for the review.  I also have an android phone and will be on the Royal a week from Saturday.

[editing post, quoted wrong message]

Edited by BuckeyeMark

On 5/5/2019 at 6:04 PM, Asquare said:

1) I got us Ocean Ready atone using an i-phone.  I just followed the instructions and went in order.  I ordered the Medallions at the end of the process.

2)  The Medallions arrived via FedEx about 2 weeks before our cruise.  They were engraved with our names and the correct color for our Captain’s Club level.

3). We used a Fitbit Zip wristband that we purchased on Amazon instead of the lanyards.  The doors opened fine without removing it from the band.  If we were sitting at the actual bar the bartender could see us on his register and we didn’t need to remove it.  The only time we actually had to hand it to anyone was the servers in the Piazza for some reason the Medallion had to be perfectly flat on their device.  Some servers would still ask for a room number as well.

4)  We left our phones in the room for the most part.  People were using their phones and the Play Ocean app to play interactive games by the pool and in Princess Live.

5)  Ocean Concierge is still a webpage not an app.  It still refuses to work on Android products.  But the big new screens by the elevators have all the activities listed and can give directions to any venue.

6) The best app is Ocean Compass.  You can set up your traveling companions and find them on the ship. 

7). Getting off and on the ship is a snap with the Medallion.  It really speeds things up,

In my opinion this was much easier than having to worry about a cruise card.  There is no need to carry your phone around unless you are really into the apps.  I didn’t feel like my privacy was invaded.  

Thanks so much!  That was really helpful.  There are a bunch of Fitbit Zip bands on Amazon.  Could you post a link to what you used that worked for you?  

I just ordered this.  Wonder if anyone has tried it.  Always wear my Fitbit so seems an easy option not to carry anything additional.  Booked on the 1/26/20 Regal but perusing the Boards already.  It’s our first cruise in ten years!  Kids all graduated so back to cruising.  Can’t wait! 

Cruise Pod Watch Adapter - Carnival Ocean Medallion (Blue) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RC2PYG4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_5pG0CbCK4QF6K 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MGnut said:

Yes, you are correct. I found a link this morning, saying the Grand Princess is due to get the Medallion 

Class on March 29, 2020. Here is the link:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/princess-cruises-continues-activation-medallionclass-090500135.html

It gives a list of 6 ships which will get the MedallionClass in 2020.

I am really excited about this... My husband is in the begining stages of Alzheimers and I worry he will get lost if he goes to get an ice cream or a coffee...I am sure he wouldn't but , This will give me peace of mind and I sure will be able to enjoy my trip a lot more !

Thanks

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, OceanDreamers said:

I am really excited about this... My husband is in the begining stages of Alzheimers and I worry he will get lost if he goes to get an ice cream or a coffee...I am sure he wouldn't but , This will give me peace of mind and I sure will be able to enjoy my trip a lot more !

Thanks

Let him wear it on his wrist or clip it on his pants and you'll always know where he is

I have a weird situation. I'm 30+ days out from the sail date. I downloaded the OceanReady, PlayOcean, OceanCompass and OceanNow apps on my iPhone 6.  I filled out all the info in OceanReady, but when I try to link my cruise booking number to my profile, I get a "you have entered a reservation number that is invalid or for a journey that is already been linked. Please enter a valid reservation number and..." (I can't see the rest of the message on my phone).

But -- here is the weird part -- when I log into OceanCompass, I get the deck plans for the ship I will be on.  It's like I am partially linked maybe? Anyone else getting this weirdness?

6 minutes ago, beachme said:

for a journey that is already been linked.

On OceanReady does it state how many days to the cruise / let you order the Medallion? If so, it's there. From what I understand from the help desk my Ocean Now won't work until I'm on the ship and I don't need the others now (although I can personalize them)

Ocean Ready app is weird.  I had same thing happen to me.  I could access everything on all apps but ocean ready.  I called tech support and they said my user id was different than my Princess login.  So they reset it;  it still didn't work.  Finally I just played around with it and it worked.  My ocean ready app has different user id and password than what I use on cruise personalizer.  Once I got the app to work; I filled out info; took pics, added passport info and received the green checkmarks which allows you to order the medallion.  I received my medallions two weeks prior to sail date;  just for fun I logged into ocean ready app and although I already had my medallions the ocean ready app had red check marks instead of the green ones.  So beachme; hang in there. Hopefully you will get it to work.  If not; just bring you sail pass from cruise personalizer; and pick up your medallion at the port

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Ocean Ready app is weird.  I had same thing happen to me.  I could access everything on all apps but ocean ready.  I called tech support and they said my user id was different than my Princess login.  So they reset it;  it still didn't work.  Finally I just played around with it and it worked.  My ocean ready app has different user id and password than what I use on cruise personalizer.  Once I got the app to work; I filled out info; took pics, added passport info and received the green checkmarks which allows you to order the medallion.  I received my medallions two weeks prior to sail date;  just for fun I logged into ocean ready app and although I already had my medallions the ocean ready app had red check marks instead of the green ones.  So beachme; hang in there. Hopefully you will get it to work.  If not; just bring you sail pass from cruise personalizer; and pick up your medallion at the port

'exactly what just happened to me when my wife just went back on ... got the OM's in hand, also

voljeep,  this is the one thing Princess needs to work on before they go full throttle with the ocean ready app.  I know they will have it figured out prior to my cruise on Sky next year.  

A question for those who have been on a cruise with the Medallion.  How well does the feature to locate the people you are cruising with work?  DH often do things separately then spend a lot of time trying to find each other.  I haven't used the Medallion yet, but this will probably be my favorite feature.

2 hours ago, Denali2003 said:

A question for those who have been on a cruise with the Medallion.  How well does the feature to locate the people you are cruising with work?  DH often do things separately then spend a lot of time trying to find each other.  I haven't used the Medallion yet, but this will probably be my favorite feature.

We used it a few times on the Royal last week. It does work, but the accuracy was a bit coarse. I found it would locate my wife to an area of maybe 20 or 30 feet. OK if she is by herself, but could be problematic if she is in a busy area with lots of people crowding around. Also, if the person you are searching for is moving, it's even tougher to find them. I only tried it using the big fixed screens, I don't know if the system is available on your smartphone which, in theory, might help alleviate the "moving target" issue. 

30 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

We used it a few times on the Royal last week. It does work, but the accuracy was a bit coarse. I found it would locate my wife to an area of maybe 20 or 30 feet. OK if she is by herself, but could be problematic if she is in a busy area with lots of people crowding around. Also, if the person you are searching for is moving, it's even tougher to find them. I only tried it using the big fixed screens, I don't know if the system is available on your smartphone which, in theory, might help alleviate the "moving target" issue. 

I'm ok with the 20-30 feet.  Better than looking all over the ship or going back to the cabin and leaving a message.  On a couple of cruises, we used walkie talkies.  Came in handy when we took the kids.  The last cruise we used the IM feature on our phones through Princess' Intra-net.  It was fine, except you didn't get a notification that you had a message.

On 4/17/2019 at 3:44 PM, pawlett47 said:

Hi, does anyone know if it is safe for a person fitted with a pacemaker to use these medallions. I have seen conflicting answers to this and am becoming quite concerned as to whether we will be able to book with Princess in future. 

I have contacted princess regarding this and this is their response. 

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Guest Medical Support.  

Please always carry your identification card.  In an accident, your I.D. card will tell the people helping you that you have a pacemaker.  Please also travel with a letter from your doctor stating your use of a pacemaker and present the letter to security staff.  This will allow them to utilize a wand/pat down rather than having you walk through the metal detectors.  For future voyages, no need to send us this information prior to sailing.  

In regards to the medallion and your medical equipment, at this time there is no indication of affect on implanted medical devices. 

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Medallions arrived today for our upcoming Caribbean Princess cruise sailing from Fort Lauderdale.

We have been on 2 previous Medallion cruises.  But we did not get the medallions delivered - we got them when we checked in at the port.

This time, not sure what having the medallions ahead of time will mean when we arrive at the port.  We usually arrive early, check in at one of the counters, and are given a # to enter the Platinum/Elite lounge to await embarkation.  What will be different?

Edited by metairiegal

On 5/5/2019 at 7:04 PM, Asquare said:

Did they also give you a cruise card?

I've been on three Medallion cruises and they all still gave us cruise cards as well.

I just received our Medallions for the 25th of May Royal cruise and both our Medallions are blue. One of us is a Platinum and the other is Ruby. On our previous Medallion cruise on the Regal, they gave us with the correct color. I guess I need to give them a call.

On 4/29/2019 at 5:22 PM, Doug R. said:

... You can use your phone to access the features aboard, without incurring charges by placing your phone on Airplane Mode while onboard.

Excellent..... so, to re-confirm, when using my phone's airplane mode while on board, I will only access Princess'  free intranet, which will activate my downloaded Princess "OCEAN" features without using my on board internet minutes? 

8 hours ago, drpack said:

Did they also give you a cruise card?

I've been on three Medallion cruises and they all still gave us cruise cards as well.

I just received our Medallions for the 25th of May Royal cruise and both our Medallions are blue. One of us is a Platinum and the other is Ruby. On our previous Medallion cruise on the Regal, they gave us with the correct color. I guess I need to give them a call.

We did not receive a Cruise Card.