forward penthouse question

bbnmom

They sure do exist.  What ship and itinerary are you thinking about?  There are limitations on the front balconies.  You must have the outside lights off at night and the curtains drawn so that your light doesn't interfere with bridge navigation.  Some have said that while under sail you can't really stand by the railing, but that the loungers out there are fine as long as they are closer to the door into the cabin.  If you look on youtube for a specific ship and cabin number, I'm sure you can find some great videos.

I've been on the Pearl in one of the forward  Owners Suites. It was right below the bridge and had a forward balcony as well as a side balcony. The forward balcony was great when the ship was moving slow and/or in port. You did not want to open the door to that balcony while underway at speed. It was an Alaska cruise so the forward balcony was incredible when we were in Glacier Bay. 

9 hours ago, bbnmom said:

First, do they exist and second would it be an awesome room or too windy and or rough?

On small ships, the SE forward penthouses are the best rooms on the ship. Like any uncovered balcony, you are always subject to weather.  270 degree views. Beautiful. 

11BC0AC7-B88C-4C3E-827F-5B4C4E03FD24.jpeg

627B4374-3BC3-4351-9BF8-8380DFEA629D.jpeg

• Like 3

I briefly considered it because I misread what it would cost. But the one in your above picture is the one I was looking at. Alaska in July. Maybe the next cruise I will look a little harder at it.

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

On small ships, the SE forward penthouses are the best rooms on the ship. Like any uncovered balcony, you are always subject to weather.  270 degree views. Beautiful. 

Our SE on the Jewel was my "dream cabin" for our first Panama Canal transit two years ago.  BTW, we were on Deck 10, under the bump out from the bridge, so our balcony did have some cover. And yes, just beautiful.  A bonus was the darkness at night, which made for fabulous star gazing.  We saw the Milky Way just about every night, as well as the Southern Cross in the wee hours before down before we reached the Canal.  It's truly amazing to see that in the Northern Hemisphere.

enhance

(photo by turtles06)

• Like 2

We really enjoyed the forward facing penthouse on the Jewel. The balcony wasn’t too windy and even when raining there was a little shelter near the cabin door.  Here’s a few pictures of 9500 after the upgrades.

36E88ECD-20F3-43FE-A04A-607596A9E7A9.jpeg

35D52ABD-69CA-4400-B625-E415055DD301.jpeg

AEF4A50E-E19E-42F0-93D7-C6EA327965DE.jpeg

ACE6B5E2-CF45-43DA-BE85-95ACC306D27A.jpeg

• Like 1

We stayed in one on the Dawn a few years ago and on our last cruise in December an aft haven suite. They both had huge balconies but I would say the forward one was better. I don't mind a little wind and I prefer seeing where I'm going to where I've been. 

• Thanks 1

I was in the Penthouse with a large balcony on the Jewel. A few things:

- this would be worthwhile on a Panama Canal or Alaskan cruise. Ours was "Mexican Riviera."

- Lovely cabin, but it was very windy. Also, the fog horn was very loud- must be very nearby. The anchor sounded like a freight train coming through our room at 5-6 AM. Hardly anyone mentions that.

• Thanks 1

We were in a Haven forward facing penthouse on the Gem last July.  It was an awesome experience.  I expected high winds but there were none due to the fact that the cabins are set back from the very front of the ship (the bow?).  The balcony was huge, about 112/114 sq. feet.  20 people could have stood on our balcony for a cocktail party.

The view was spectactular and the rattan deck loungers, with padding, were so comfortable.  We also had a table and two other rattan chairs for dining, or whatever.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, kitty-sail said:

The forward cabins under the bridge have cameras positioned under the bridge. They see you on your balancy, but can they see inside the cabin?

The cameras are on the bridge not under the bridge. And any cameras are not pointed peeping into rooms. 

Star last November, OS 10006.  This was a TA, and the balcony in the front was not real usable while underway unless you wanted to sit on the loungers in the front.  We had a side balcony that was awesome.  Being a TA, the ride was sometimes a little rough but rocked us to sleep.  Also there was a banging sound, when the ship hit the waves out front.  Could be bothersome for some, didn't bother me at all.  

xOtVKbeEQdOT3hsyxACYHw.jpg

Qd8oyDSvTwqWqeqiessQZw.jpg

You get a lovely, large, heavy sea door leading out onto your balcony. This was a Deck 9 SE going to Alaska. 

image.png.9e8617ccb2b43b29fcb086c3de1be46d.png

image.png.9381eb53e420a53e60a5b8f71cd2a9f3.png

On Deck 10, the center rooms under the bridge get a "bay window" that follows the contour of the bridge for extra space. And, a window up near the balcony rail for spectacular views (while staying indoors). This was a Deck 10 SE going up the St. Lawrence River to Quebec. 

image.png.e8084f93adee478120827314b5034739.png

Edited by BirdTravels