Fjords - Excursion Suggestions

AspirationalFlyer

Hello all, 

I’m taking a Fjords cruise on Queen Victoria in June. 

Two questions:

1. Has anyone done this cruise or something similar before? If so, any general tips or recommendations? 

2. Do you have any excursion suggestions, either through Cunard or that are arranged independently? 

We are visiting (amongst other places): 

Haugesund 

Olden

Flaam

Bergen 

In all cases, how easy will it be to walk from the ship to places of interest? 

Thanks in advance 

AF. 

The Flaam Railway trip is really nice. We didn't do the shore excursion. We got off the ship and the office was right there. Bought tickets for around $13.00 US and got on the train. It was a beautiful ride up and down the mountain.

Flåm is lovely... consider the historical train, most people do... but also highly consider the Næroyfjord cruise or the trip up to the Stegastein Viewpoint...

Our first trip to Bergen we walked around the Bryggen... we also did enjoy the funicular...

Our next trip we want to go to the Romantic composer Edvard Grieg’s home Troldhaugen for the afternoon concert... we will be getting an excursion for that since it is out of town.

As said, do try and take the Flam train journey; you can prebook online. Walking is also good around Flam port. 

It seems you will be lucky in Bergen and be in the Bontelabo terminal which is a short walk from the lovely city centre. Get off the ship early and go up the funicular rail VERY early to miss the crowds and tours. Great views from the top and you can walk down if the weather is fine.

Olden has little but stunning scenery and great for walking. You might want to think about the glacier tour.

Cannot help with Haugasund, but I am sure you will enjoy the whole experience on my favourite ship!

Another vote for the Flaam train. The scenery is spectacular. And go to the museum about building the railway. It will make you appreciate the engineering even more.

Bergen is lovely for a wander around town, and you can take the funicular up to a spot with great views. If you're a music lover, I recommend the trip to Grieg's home. It's a beautiful spot and the tours usually include a short performance.

We too agree that wandering around Bergen was one of the wonderful experiences we enjoyed on the Fjord sailing.

Also very picturesque to photograph.

My wife picked up a really nice sweater in one of the shops. 

First lessons learnt (I thought I’d share some of the wisdom to date!!) 

Flåm railway tickets are already sold our weeks off for many of the journeys for the day we are in port. Try and book well in advance if you are planning to do this solo/independently. I wonder if the cruise companies (or third parties acting on their behalf) have taken them all? I might email to ask if some tickets are still available for sale on the day. 

It is much more expensive to book the Flåm railway through Cunard. I obviously knew that to an extent, but it is a high multiple. Just something to note. 

The Bergen Ice Bar doesn’t accept reservations in advance when one or more cruise ships have port days there. They confirmed they were open, but were not accepting reservations. In their email reply, they said to accept a line! 

3 hours ago, AspirationalFlyer said:

First lessons learnt (I thought I’d share some of the wisdom to date!!) 

Flåm railway tickets are already sold our weeks off for many of the journeys for the day we are in port. Try and book well in advance if you are planning to do this solo/independently. I wonder if the cruise companies (or third parties acting on their behalf) have taken them all? I might email to ask if some tickets are still available for sale on the day. 

It is much more expensive to book the Flåm railway through Cunard. I obviously knew that to an extent, but it is a high multiple. Just something to note. 

The Bergen Ice Bar doesn’t accept reservations in advance when one or more cruise ships have port days there. They confirmed they were open, but were not accepting reservations. In their email reply, they said to accept a line! 

The cruise lines do "hold" a lot of tickets. If there's more than one ship in port, it's likely that the train will be sold out. Just pay the Cunard price. Don't gamble on "maybe" picking up leftover tickets. The ride is worth it. Read the descriptions. Does the Cunard tour have anything added compared to the trip you can buy directly?

I don't know what it is about tours on Europe cruises, but they're  much more than direct purchase compared to other locations. I've found excursions booked through the ship in Alaska and the Caribbean to be just a few dollars more than buying direct. For example the train in Skagway, AK costs $10 more through Cunard. But buying through Cunard lets you board right next to the ship. Booking through White Pass & Yukon RR means you have to go to the station. Not a bad walk, but if you happen to be on a time a cruise ship has booked, the best seats will have been taken. So for $10 it's worth it. Same experience booking the "Sugar Train" in St Kitts. The extra $10 got us transport to and from the train. But in Europe the ship's price tends to be way more. 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

3 hours ago, Stella1250 said:

We walked off the ship, waited on line about 10 minutes and bought two tickets. I think the cruise lines want us to think we have to book in advance. And, we went at  the end of June. Prime time 

Was there more than one ship in port? 

We were able to book on the day, but there was only our ship. I wouldn't chance it if there are two.

If you are concerned about not getting a ticket, I would recommend buying them in advance at the Flaam Railways website. This way you know you have a seat on the train, but do not have to pay the higher price of the shore excursion.

There is another ship in Flam with Queen Victoria - Marella Explorer is also due in the port. I expect this is the reason for the lack of tickets. That means the town is likely to be very busy - it is only small!

The cruise does not go to Geiranger, just the four ports mentioned by the op.

Aspirational Flyer, I also replied to your query on the roll call as I am also on this cruise. See you on board!

On 4/18/2019 at 10:35 AM, AspirationalFlyer said:

Hello all, 

I’m taking a Fjords cruise on Queen Victoria in June. 

Two questions:

1. Has anyone done this cruise or something similar before? If so, any general tips or recommendations? 

2. Do you have any excursion suggestions, either through Cunard or that are arranged independently? 

We are visiting (amongst other places): 

Haugesund 

Olden

Flaam

Bergen 

In all cases, how easy will it be to walk from the ship to places of interest? 

Thanks in advance 

AF. 

In Olden we took the relatively new SkyLift.  Off the ship there is a cabin where you can buy the tickets including the bus to Loen.  In Loen there is also a very nice hotel if you want a drink after the skylight.  We thoroughly enjoyed the trip and very economical compared to cruise line excursions.

https://www.visitnorway.com/listings/loen-skylift-shuttle-bus-from-olden-|-olden-adventure/198483/

At Flaam, I can recommend the 'Norway in a nutshell' full day excursion (if available).  

When we did it, you take the Flaam train to Myrdal, board another train and head for Vossevangen, where a buffet lunch is served in a hotel.  Then we boarded a coach for the return trip to Flaam, stopping at a waterfall, and driving down a road with several hairpin bends.  I have many great photos from that trip.

In Olden, I recommend going to the Briksdal Glacier.  You can get a minibus from just outside the dock, it will take you there and pick you up again a few hours later.

https://www.fjordnorway.com/planning-your-trip/getting-to-and-around/transport/briksdal-glacier-shuttle-bus-olden-adventure-p3277203

old3.jpg

old4.jpg

old5.jpg

Edited by Lanky Lad

Hello Aspirational Flyer

The Fjords are a fantastic destination - I am sure you will have a lovely time. Having done 4 cruises with Cunard to Norway, we keep going back for the beautiful scenery.  Although we have been to all of the ports on your itinerary apart from Haugesund, at least twice, we always find something different to do or see each time. With that in mind, don’t feel that you need to see “everything” - I think having been once, you will be bitten by the “Norwegian bug” and want to return!

You asked about tips or ideas: I haven’t been to Haugesund but the approaches to Flam & Olden are breathtaking and well worth getting up early for. On our last trip to Olden, which was an overnight stay, we were lucky enough to enjoy the sail-in during the morning & afternoon. It is likely that there will be some sort of commentary accompanying the sail away too, so worth being out on deck for that. 

You can have great weather or pretty awful weather in June in Norway, so definitely bring layers, a waterproof jacket and umbrella. A good pair of walking shoes/boots will be useful too if you plan on a bit of independent hiking - or take the Cunard trip to the Briksdal glacier in Olden. I also always take my walking poles because I find they help with the uphill bits!

When we visited the Briksdal glacier in 2017, our guide reckoned it would disappear in summer within 10 years due to climate change - you can make your own mind up about that - but a range of photographs we’ve seen definitely show that the extent of it in summer seems to be reducing. We’re glad we visited it when we did - we took the Cunard tour which included tea and plentiful cakes at the restaurant at the foot of the glacier. We very rarely take organised tours but this one was worth it. There is also the option to visit by “troll” car,  if you have anyone travelling with you who may be less mobile. 

Have a great trip - hope to read your review of it afterwards.