Included Air - checked luggage included in int'l flights?

ShopperfiendTO

Hi,

It's pretty standard now to have to pay extra to check in luggage on a domestic flight.  It seems that many airlines have extended this practice to transoceanic flights as well, as many mainstream legacy airlines now have a "barebones" economy non-refundable fare for international flights where in addition to having absolutely no flexibility to change flights even for a fee, you also have to pay extra to check in luggage.

For those who have used O's air recently for flights across the ocean, do you know what fare you were booked on and was one piece of checked luggage per passenger included in the air or was that an extra cost to you?

This might be a further factor in deciding whether to take the air credit instead.

Thanks! 

Edited by ShopperfiendTO

It all depends on the airlines policy. I have credit cards with AA & Delta that give me free bags. I've yet to pay for baggage on an international flight booked through Oceania. I usually have travelled on the two above but do remember being on KLM and SAS. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your response.

I should clarify that the mainstream legacy airlines (e.g., Air Canada and Air France) seem to have two types of "discount" economy fares, one that includes one piece of checked luggage and one that does not include checked luggage so the same airline has these two types of fare conditions.  Which type of economy fare does O book for passengers? 

On our last O Air flight, one checked bag was included. However, the ticket was essentially non upgradeable . The cost to upgrade to PE or BC was essentially the price of a new ticket. The over the water carrier, SAS, would not allow any changes or seat assignments until 24 hours before the flight. 

Therefore, I would consider the ticket kind of a hybrid bulk rate ticket negotiated by O that has characteristics of both Basic Economy and regular Economy. Not a standard of either type.

• Like 1

We flew O’s air and paid for their optional upgrade to PE.  The upgrade was $149 per person each way, which was well worth the cost.  We also paid the deviation or custom fee in order to fly in 2 days before sailing and stay later upon disembarking.  With  the deviation, we were able to select flights within the limitations of O’s contracts with the various airlines.  Fortunately we fly out of a gateway airport and were able to get suitable flights.  We were allowed 2 checked bags each on Lufthansa.  We were pleased with the air arrangements and cost, but it does pay to shop the option of opting out of O’s air and doing it yourself as not everybody’s situation is alike.

17 hours ago, ORV said:

It all depends on the airlines policy. I have credit cards with AA & Delta that give me free bags. I've yet to pay for baggage on an international flight booked through Oceania. I usually have travelled on the two above but do remember being on KLM and SAS. 

Most all AIRLINE  affinity credit cards ( issued in the airlines name) all offer free bags domestic and international   Airlines that are a part of the specific issuing airlines group  ( One world, Star Alliance etc)  will honor the privileged 

Check your carriers affinity group.

Dan;

The flight has to be paid with that credit card. Carrying it around in your pocket doesn’t count. If you’re on an O Air flight, Oceania paid the carrier by their methodology, regardless of how you may have paid the cruise line.

15 hours ago, Paulchili said:

IMO, it would be a safe bet that they book the cheapest available fare 🙂

That rate would be an " unpublished" rate  negotiated by the company and one you could never touch

Which brings one to consider using business class air consolidators to compare where tickets can me had on major carriers, on regular flights at huge discounts.    Example:   LAX-Rome   Business class rt$ 2950  vs $6870   

The there is the FF mile route which all  who travel, or intend to ever travel, and who spend money on anything, should get to know well.

D0rfVrcX4AIBto9.jpg

Edited by Hawaiidan

7 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Dan;

The flight has to be paid with that credit card. Carrying it around in your pocket doesn’t count. If you’re on an O Air flight, Oceania paid the carrier by their methodology, regardless of how you may have paid the cruise line.

Your  right.... I suppose you  could  tell the agent you paid for it and show your affinity credit card...    I did that for a friend who was traveling with me and it worked... but again  I get considerations  due to my frequency of travel with those airlines.... 

God bless program loyalty  and FF...      If you have not seen " Up in the Air "  movie.....go and learn........Ciao, et bon vie

ORV;

Oceania’s deal with the airlines include free baggage consumerate with the Class of service purchased. Has nothing to do with any credit card used. 

Oceania bulk ticket arrangements are private contracts and have nothing to do with any published airfares offered. Same as other large bulk rate buyers.

We went to South America in Feb. - March of this year and Oceania booked the flights. We were on Delta to go to South America--we were able to pick our own seats once we were booked but there were no Premium Economy seats left. We returned on United and were able (to self) upgrade to PE. Delta allowed 2 free checked bags but United only allowed 1.

20 minutes ago, candkd said:

We went to South America in Feb. - March of this year and Oceania booked the flights. We were on Delta to go to South America--we were able to pick our own seats once we were booked but there were no Premium Economy seats left. We returned on United and were able (to self) upgrade to PE. Delta allowed 2 free checked bags but United only allowed 1.

I didn’t realize United had Premium Economy.  I thought they only had economy plus. 

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

The flight has to be paid with that credit card.

Not necessarily. It may depend on your airline or card. On AA if your frequent flier number is tied to your reservation record, your bag fee benefit from your credit card applies even if you did not use the card to purchase the ticket. We had direct experience with this in December 2018. But policies change all the time... 

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

Dan;

On UA it definitely has to be paid with the UA card. I checked the rules a few months ago.  With the DL card, it doesn’t matter how the flight was paid.

3 minutes ago, buggins0402 said:

I didn’t realize United had Premium Economy.  I thought they only had economy plus. 

They just started...I have not seen the product...check the UAL site.  economy plus is  next to worthless on some aircraft

Just now, Hawaiidan said:

They just started...I have not seen the product...check the UAL site.  economy plus is  next to worthless on some aircraft

Thanks, living in DTW we usually fly DL...but with the Sapphire cards we’ve been ending up on UA occasionally.

1 minute ago, buggins0402 said:

On UA it definitely has to be paid with the UA card. I checked the rules a few months ago.  With the DL card, it doesn’t matter how the flight was paid.

That good to know...I just go with my experience with UAL and would never ever book with O exceptt 1 time LAX-PPT Too I proably should have considered  status with UAl might have a bearing.  So consider that, which I may have not.

To test the baggage policies, one would have to purchase a Basic Economy ticket, without bags included in the rate, then show the card to get free bags. We usually buy regular domestic tickets that include baggage.

Friends were recently flying UA, on a Bulk rate tour package to CA and Napa. Tickets didn’t include baggage and my friends showing an Explorer Card didn’t get them free bags. They said the gate agent checked their credit card against the payment record and they didn’t match, therefore no free bags.

When I take wine tour groups to Napa or OR, I always negotiate one free bag in the deal, plus then pay for it on my appropriate AA Platinum or Explorer card as a double back up. Not all tour operators do so and the guests get hung with the fees.

19 minutes ago, babysteps said:

Not necessarily. It may depend on your airline or card. On AA if your frequent flier number is tied to your reservation record, your bag fee benefit from your credit card applies even if you did not use the card to purchase the ticket. We had direct experience with this in December 2018. But policies change all the time... 

Yes your correct....if your in the airlines FF program and have earned some "status" with them then  you get all sorts of things, free up grades, bags, up grades for friends etc.  Its amazing !

2 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

To test the baggage policies, one would have to purchase a Basic Economy ticket, without bags included in the rate, then show the card to get free bags. We usually buy regular domestic tickets that include baggage.

Friends were recently flying UA, on a Bulk rate tour package to CA and Napa. Tickets didn’t include baggage and my friends showing an Explorer Card didn’t get them free bags. They said the gate agent checked their credit card against the payment record and they didn’t match, therefore no free bags.

When I take wine tour groups to Napa or OR, I always negotiate one free bag in the deal, plus then pay for it on my appropriate AA Platinum or Explorer card as a double back up. Not all tour operators do so and the guests get hung with the fees.

Its a morass of problems when dealing with a 3rd party ticket ( buying from O, priceline, expedia etc)    This is one reason I always do my  own flights, hotels and cars       Speaking of which, if your a Marriott  Bonvoy card  holder member, and book cars through Marriott  you can save hundreds.   Example:  Zurich  7 day MBZ-a or BMW-3  586E through  priceline.budget, 326E marriott/hertz   !!!!!!   (Hertz direct: 562E)   

Marriott booking is the way to go.+ their new business card gives 6x for travel 4x for gas. meals and 2x for everything else 

Dan;

I have that card also. Can get all my booked group the Concierge Lounge benefits on my Platinum status. Great card and benefits! Now with the Spg hotels in the family it increases opportunities. Unfortunately, most of the upper Spg hotels, like the Westin, don’t have Concierge Lounges!

33 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Dan;

I have that card also. Can get all my booked group the Concierge Lounge benefits on my Platinum status. Great card and benefits! Now with the Spg hotels in the family it increases opportunities. Unfortunately, most of the upper Spg hotels, like the Westin, don’t have Concierge Lounges!

Glad to hear you caught on...They just made me Titaninum, status.. after 1000+ nights...... The next level is  you stay at Bill Marriotts home and he cooks you breakfast and  does your laundry.     Ah.....who says  loyalty dosnen't pay 

Its the Marriott Business card  not the personal  I use both  And I can transfer marriott points to UAL miles and earn at a  rate 300% faster than on the UAL card.....  its a game that pays.   Flying to Zurich rt, Business class bed, on Swiss  for $5.60 !!!     YES.

Edited by Hawaiidan

4 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Yes your correct....if your in the airlines FF program and have earned some "status" with them then  you get all sorts of things, free up grades, bags, up grades for friends etc.  Its amazing !

Actually, we found with an AA credit card, you don't need FF status above being a member for free first checked bag or (marginally) early boarding.  Having the CC attached to the FF number alone is sufficient, even if you bought the ticket with another CC. But then, why would one do such a convoluted thing?

Edited by 1985rz1

1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

Actually, we found with an AA credit card, you don't need FF status above being a member for free first checked bag or (marginally) early boarding.  Having the CC attached to the FF number alone is sufficient, even if you bought the ticket with another CC. But then, why would one do such a convoluted thing?

This has been my experience also

• Thanks 1