What to do if my flight lands at 8:12 AM on the day of the cruise?

screenname2004

We were booked for a flight the day before the cruise, but the flight is canceled. The new flight has us land at MIA at 8:12 AM for our cruise out of Port of Maimi. Do we grab our luggage and go straight to the port? Have a cup of coffee at the airport before we go to the port?

29 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

A common recommendation here in this situation, is to grab breakfast somewhere before going to the port.

We thought about that but where? With our luggage, can't see us uber to a restaurant and take the luggage with us for breakfast.

No, don't grab breakfast.  We get to the port around 10AM and there is always people already there. 

By the time you get your luggage, you may want to just find a place to sit for a quick 30-45 minutes then head to the port. 

Miami Airport has food and beverage vendors in the baggage area, so maybe grab a coffee there and relax for a few. 

• Like 1

There is a hotel inside the MIA airport that will store your bags while you have breakfast and maybe a mimosa or two.  Or take the hotel shuttle to the Hilton Blue Lagoon for breakfast.  After eating cab or Uber to the port - you should be on the ship by noon.

If the flight is on time at 8:12 they will be off the plane and with bags about 8:45-9:00. Taking a taxi/Uber straight to POM then will get them there about 9:15 or so, leaving about  90+ minutes or so until they can check in and board the ship.  That's why I suggested breakfast at the airport or nearby Hilton, instead of sitting around the port with nothing.  OP's call, but breakfast and a mimosa sounds like the better option. :classic_wink:

5 minutes ago, JohninDC said:

If the flight is on time at 8:12 they will be off the plane and with bags about 8:45-9:00. Taking a taxi/Uber straight to POM then will get them there about 9:15 or so, leaving about  90+ minutes or so until they can check in and board the ship.  That's why I suggested breakfast at the airport or nearby Hilton, instead of sitting around the port with nothing.  OP's call, but breakfast and a mimosa sounds like the better option. :classic_wink:

90 minutes? That's not actually true, though. Lots of cruisers show up and check in prior to 10AM.  We always show up at 10AM and we are hardly the first ones there. 

1 minute ago, screenname2004 said:

Thank you for all the suggestions. If we can find a place to sit at the airport, we will get a cup of coffee and a pastry before heading to the port. Don't think we want a full breakfast after a red-eye flight.

There are places in baggage claim to do just that. And it's a huge baggage claim area that will be empty. You'll see employees grabbing coffee and what not, too. Plenty of quiet places to go sit. 

It's a great idea. Kill 30-60 minutes and go enjoy your cruise! 

19 hours ago, screenname2004 said:

We were booked for a flight the day before the cruise, but the flight is canceled. The new flight has us land at MIA at 8:12 AM for our cruise out of Port of Maimi. Do we grab our luggage and go straight to the port? Have a cup of coffee at the airport before we go to the port?

It also depends on what day of the week?  If it's a weekday, you'll still have the residuals of rush hour traffic heading east and there's always the possibility of an an incident closing the highway; anything can happen so I'd just head to the Port and wait it out over there.  

1 hour ago, BNBR said:

90 minutes? That's not actually true, though. Lots of cruisers show up and check in prior to 10AM.  We always show up at 10AM and we are hardly the first ones there. 

Lots show up before 10:00, and if OP arrives straight from MIA they will be there about 9:20-30.  Since boarding usually starts about 11:00 that sounds like 90+ minutes by my calculations.  Waiting at the airport with coffee and snacks sounds like a better option.

We are at the baggage claim area of MIA at this moment. I see a Starbucks that sells their beverages and food items. There are several small tables where one can enjoy their Starbucks drink/food. In addition, there are 2 stores that sell cold drinks (soda, juice, water) and snacks. There are seats throughout the claim area one can use. 

• Like 2

On 4/21/2019 at 9:24 AM, screenname2004 said:

We are at the baggage claim area of MIA at this moment. I see a Starbucks that sells their beverages and food items. There are several small tables where one can enjoy their Starbucks drink/food. In addition, there are 2 stores that sell cold drinks (soda, juice, water) and snacks. There are seats throughout the claim area one can use. 

Glad it worked out.  Did you find the Chapel? 

On 4/20/2019 at 7:24 PM, JohninDC said:

Lots show up before 10:00, and if OP arrives straight from MIA they will be there about 9:20-30.  Since boarding usually starts about 11:00 that sounds like 90+ minutes by my calculations.  Waiting at the airport with coffee and snacks sounds like a better option.

Our flight actually came in early and we were at the port before 10:30 and were on the Allure before 10:45. They boarded according to Crown and Anchor status and we are not even diamond level yet.

3 minutes ago, screenname2004 said:

Our flight actually came in early and we were at the port before 10:30 and were on the Allure before 10:45. They boarded according to Crown and Anchor status and we are not even diamond level yet.

This is why I always recommend it.  Especially on Oasis class.  10 - 10:30 is a great time to show up.  You were on and enjoying your vacation even before lunch venues opened.

21 hours ago, Flymia said:

For anyone else that comes up to this topic, there are actual places to eat and even shop at MIA on the departure level before security. So you don't need to stick to the baggage claim area. 

There are eating places in the secured area one can eat/drink before retrieving luggage but we want to pick up our check luggage first just in case. 

22 hours ago, Flymia said:

For anyone else that comes up to this topic, there are actual places to eat and even shop at MIA on the departure level before security. So you don't need to stick to the baggage claim area. 

I was going to suggest this too.  Depending on which terminal you are in there are other stores and restaurants on the departure level outside of security.  If your luggage is not too onerous to carry up a level and you don't care for what is on the baggage claim level you should be able to find something and sit down for a few.  Enjoy your trip.

2 hours ago, screenname2004 said:

There are eating places in the secured area one can eat/drink before retrieving luggage but we want to pick up our check luggage first just in case. 

Flymia meant that you can retrieve your luggage and then find additional options for food/drink on the departure level without having to go through security.

54 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

Flymia meant that you can retrieve your luggage and then find additional options for food/drink on the departure level without having to go through security.

Which is also another great idea.  Probably easier to find peace and quiet in the baggage claim area though.

Edited by BNBR

14 hours ago, BNBR said:

Which is also another great idea.  Probably easier to find peace and quiet in the baggage claim area though.

Quiet yes. But so many better options and actual options on departure level. 

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:40 PM, JohninDC said:

I was about to make the same suggestion.