Quick Question - The Gem and Spinnaker Lounge

kpark895

From what I've read on here, Spinnaker Lounge is a great place to watch a sailaway because of all the glass windows.  Is there a bar in this lounge and is it open at sailaway?   (For my cruise, next Friday to Bermuda, leaving Boston around 4 PM)?  Thanks!

Spinnaker is absolutely our favorite place to lounge and relax - its gorgeous calm and comfy. 

There is a bar in the back - great service and a wonderful place for sailaway (especially in bad weather). 

It's usually full of shows at night - lots of fun. 

You do have to be careful - the carpet is super wavy blue lines - not great for even the slightly intoxicated! It's also the front of the ship which can be not great if seasick - 2 years ago we had the canvas-by-u class there...and 3 of the participants has to leave to to puking...literally puking during a fairly rough sea day. in true NCL fashion though...the instructor actually finished their paintings for them (and drew himself into the paintings 🙂 ), and they got a partial refund. 

You will LOVE this area! Amy

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, amygutman said:

Spinnaker is absolutely our favorite place to lounge and relax - its gorgeous calm and comfy. 

There is a bar in the back - great service and a wonderful place for sailaway (especially in bad weather). 

It's usually full of shows at night - lots of fun. 

You do have to be careful - the carpet is super wavy blue lines - not great for even the slightly intoxicated! It's also the front of the ship which can be not great if seasick - 2 years ago we had the canvas-by-u class there...and 3 of the participants has to leave to to puking...literally puking during a fairly rough sea day. in true NCL fashion though...the instructor actually finished their paintings for them (and drew himself into the paintings 🙂 ), and they got a partial refund. 

You will LOVE this area! Amy

Thanks, Amy.  A group of us were trying to figure out a good place to meet after the safety drill, and since it is supposed to be pretty cool and windy at sailaway, I thought the Spinnaker might be a good place for viewing, but many of us wanted a place with a bar!  You answered my (our) questions.

Glad to help... gave me a good excuse to hunt through some vacation photos reliving awesome memories.

I attached a few photos from 2018 Gem- not great quality I am afraid. You can see the scary carpeting (supposed to look like waves) in one, the loungers in the front of the Spinnaker, the bar in the back and a perspective view including the stage that you can see the floor to ceiling windows in. I think cruise deck plans.com has also some nice photos. 

DSCN4850.JPG

DSCN4861.JPG

DSCN4863.JPG

DSCN6396.JPG

8 minutes ago, amygutman said:

Glad to help... gave me a good excuse to hunt through some vacation photos reliving awesome memories.

I attached a few photos from 2018 Gem- not great quality I am afraid. You can see the scary carpeting (supposed to look like waves) in one, the loungers in the front of the Spinnaker, the bar in the back and a perspective view including the stage that you can see the floor to ceiling windows in. I think cruise deck plans.com has also some nice photos. 

DSCN4850.JPG

DSCN4861.JPG

DSCN4863.JPG

DSCN6396.JPG

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

Great pictures!  Thanks for sharing with us.  It's been years since we have been on the Gem but we are looking forward to our cruise on her this summer.

And at the other end of the ship, don't forget the Great Outdoors.  That and the Spinnaker are our two favorite public spaces on the Gem.   

Enjoy your cruise!

The Spinnaker is one of the BIG things we miss on the newer Breakaway class ships.  The space on those ships has been given over to The Haven.  More $$ for NCL.

While we like the newer, bigger ships we miss having the shows like the Not-So-Newlywed Game, Quest, Liars Club, etc. in the Spinnaker.  In the new ships these shows are in the Atrium.  UGH!!  WAY too crowded, VERY limited seating & the Atrium isn't really set up for shows like these IMHO.

50 minutes ago, tomk3212 said:

The Spinnaker is one of the BIG things we miss on the newer Breakaway class ships.  The space on those ships has been given over to The Haven.  More $$ for NCL.

While we like the newer, bigger ships we miss having the shows like the Not-So-Newlywed Game, Quest, Liars Club, etc. in the Spinnaker.  In the new ships these shows are in the Atrium.  UGH!!  WAY too crowded, VERY limited seating & the Atrium isn't really set up for shows like these IMHO.

this is why they re-added it on the newer ships like the Bliss, Encore, Joy with a new new of Observation Lounge

7 hours ago, kpark895 said:

From what I've read on here, Spinnaker Lounge is a great place to watch a sailaway because of all the glass windows.  Is there a bar in this lounge and is it open at sailaway?   (For my cruise, next Friday to Bermuda, leaving Boston around 4 PM)?  Thanks!

If it isn't raining ... be outside for the sail away.  There are several outdoor bars and places to watch the sail away.  Much better than being inside.  I agree ... I HATE that carpet ... and I barely drank my whole  20 days on the Gem last Sept.!

21 minutes ago, shof515 said:

this is why they re-added it on the newer ships like the Bliss, Encore, Joy with a new new of Observation Lounge

Woo Hoo!!  Something to look forward to, then, when those ships come to NYC!  Thanks for the heads-up!

Wonder if they'll retrofit the Breakaway & Getaway when they go into dry dock?

9 minutes ago, CruiseGal999 said:

If it isn't raining ... be outside for the sail away.  There are several outdoor bars and places to watch the sail away.  Much better than being inside.  I agree ... I HATE that carpet ... and I barely drank my whole  20 days on the Gem last Sept.!

Agree "Better Out Than In" any day on vacation - 🙂

And apparently the NCL carpeting in the Bliss Observation lounge is just as distracting as the "forced perspective" waves in the Spinnaker - quite the conversations on cruisecritic. 

That being said - just booked the Bliss for next June - can't wait to see for myself a mere 345 days from today!

Amy

Here's a virtual view from the front windows of the Gem's Spinnaker Lounge during one of the more stormy crossing, choppy seas with 15' waves - outdoors closed for safety reasons.  One of my favorite place to sit & enjoy the "ride" 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sfsyuivgz9mkfu3/VIDOS0505Gem-SL-1126.mp4?dl=0

Oh, there are some outlets there to turbo charge one's iPad, tablet or smartphone if the battery is running low.  Loungers are very comfortable to sit back & relaxing ... not recommended for those prone to motion and seasickness.