Caribbean Princess, Splashpad with Whale Feature, what is it replacing?

Doc2725

Yeah the little whale pool looks like it will be rehabilitated but still be a splash pool.  Otherwise it's pretty much replacing underutilized sundeck area.  Should be a nice addition.  The bar back there was always hit or miss as far as when it was open, I imagine it will do a killing now.  Note that in the images below the tube to Skywalker's is not shown, so there will actually be some shade back in this area too.

https://cruisingrobsblog.blogspot.com/2019/02/caribbean-princess-drydock-update.html?m=1

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisingrob21 said:

Yeah the little whale pool looks like it will be rehabilitated but still be a splash pool.  Otherwise it's pretty much replacing underutilized sundeck area.  Should be a nice addition.  The bar back there was always hit or miss as far as when it was open, I imagine it will do a killing now.  Note that in the images below the tube to Skywalker's is not shown, so there will actually be some shade back in this area too.

Thank you! Glad to hear that the bar in that area will be getting more use now. 

https://cruisingrobsblog.blogspot.com/2019/02/caribbean-princess-drydock-update.html?m=1

I am hopeful for some shady spots in this area considering how sunny it is now. I was on a few weeks ago and the small splash whale pool wasn't usable (for us) b/c of the sun so we used the small splash pool on deck 16 that is totally in the shade.

I'm really disappointed to see that one of the best areas of open deck is being lost in this renovation. This upper deck near the rail always has a nice breeze making it one of the most comfortable (and usually quiet) places to spend the day enjoying a lounger. 

5 hours ago, cmerun said:

Excited to see this area for kids and families!

We are taking our 4 year old grandson on the May 18 cruise.

Im sure we will spend a lot of time there!,

Yes! Those of us with kids are really happy!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/24/2019 at 2:11 PM, cmerun said:

Excited to see this area for kids and families!

We are taking our 4 year old grandson on the May 18 cruise.

Im sure we will spend a lot of time there!,

We will be on the boat with our 6 year old son and 4 year old daughter. 

• Like 2

On 4/24/2019 at 4:41 PM, akeasley said:

Yes! Those of us with kids are really happy!

Glad to hear that but honestly I think Princess is firmly in the 'too little too late' camp for these kid friendly improvements.  Most with kids will no doubt be happier on Royal Caribbean, NCL or Carnival. 

I doubt this modest upgrade will stem the tide (pun intended) of families exploring other options.  

1 hour ago, jondfk said:

Glad to hear that but honestly I think Princess is firmly in the 'too little too late' camp for these kid friendly improvements.  Most with kids will no doubt be happier on Royal Caribbean, NCL or Carnival. 

I doubt this modest upgrade will stem the tide (pun intended) of families exploring other options.  

I can only speak for myself and my kids (2 & 3) and for us, it's not 'too little too late'....more like right on time.  As Elite on Princess I'm not going over to NCL, Royal Caribbean, and certainly not Carnival.

For others who sailed on Princess and don't want to change lines just because they had children, I would think they may also agree but I won't speak for them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, akeasley said:

I can only speak for myself and my kids (2 & 3) and for us, it's not 'too little too late'....more like right on time.  As Elite on Princess I'm not going over to NCL, Royal Caribbean, and certainly not Carnival.

For others who sailed on Princess and don't want to change lines just because they had children, I would think they may also agree but I won't speak for them.

I agree. Frankly, all the belly aching from the "old guard" about Princess changes (for the worst) is getting a bit tiring. Yes families with kids do cruise Princess and some of them are even Elite (gasp!)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, akeasley said:

Thank you for your reaction.  I can see the point that loyal Princess customers might get just enough progress from these upgrades to keep them loyal as their kids grow.  My point though was that I think it unlikely that folks with kids looking to start cruising will pick Princess on the basis of this limited kid friendly area on a single ship.  I still think the greater variety of kid friendly options offered by other lines put them a good distance ahead of Princess attracting families (especially families new to cruising).  

Like you I'd prefer not look beyond Princess as my preferred cruise provider.  At the first sign of a go cart track though I'm outta here 😁.  Here's hoping Princess navigate a path of adding enough features to keep you happy without taking away so many as to chase me away.  No other line has so far figured out that combination, fingers crossed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nattie said:

I agree. Frankly, all the belly aching from the "old guard" about Princess changes (for the worst) is getting a bit tiring. Yes families with kids do cruise Princess and some of them are even Elite (gasp!)

Yes, I totally agree with you!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pms4104 said:

Wonder if diapers and swimmer diapers will be permitted ...

Swimming diapers are/were permitted in the kiddy pool behind kids club on CP. CP is/was the only ship in the fleet that has/had such a pool, on other Grand class ships it was replaced with outdoor kid play area for the kids club use only. Kiddy pool on CP is/was open to everyone and was great place hang out and meet other moms. I once chatted with 1st officers wife for entire afternoon not realizing who she was until her hubby came by 🙂 Good times!

I used "is/was", because we have not been back to CP in a while (5 years or so) and I dont know if pool is still there. The point is, if area is designated for kids, I am pretty sure swim diapers will be permitted.

10 hours ago, nattie said:

Swimming diapers are/were permitted in the kiddy pool behind kids club on CP. CP is/was the only ship in the fleet that has/had such a pool, on other Grand class ships it was replaced with outdoor kid play area for the kids club use only. Kiddy pool on CP is/was open to everyone and was great place hang out and meet other moms. I once chatted with 1st officers wife for entire afternoon not realizing who she was until her hubby came by 🙂 Good times!

I used "is/was", because we have not been back to CP in a while (5 years or so) and I dont know if pool is still there. The point is, if area is designated for kids, I am pretty sure swim diapers will be permitted.

No, unless there is specific signage stating that the pool permits swim diapers, they are not allowed.  "Baby only recreational water facilities" (to give them their proper name per the USPH), must meet certain construction and operational standards like:  either no standing water or at most 1-2" of standing water, a separate water supply from all other water facilities, a higher turn-over rate (the number of times an hour the water is filtered), a UV sterilizer for the water, the ability to shut down and drain the facility immediately if there is an "accident", a crew member dedicated to monitoring the water facility full time, a diaper changing area in close proximity, and a supply of swim diapers, along with the signage that swim diapers are allowed.

Whether or not the cruise line or individual ship chooses to enforce the rule, the ship is opening itself to a failed USPH inspection score if it is found to allow swim diapers in a general kids pool/splash area.

• Thanks 1

Grand Princess and Golden Princess were built with a "splash area" next to the kid's club with a whale-shaped concrete cut-out in the deck that was (when new at least) filled with water. Clearly designed for no one larger than a toddler. Would these be considered "pools" in the regulatory sense and thus technically off limits to kiddies in diapers? If so they have no function at all beyond decorative.

Those two ships are unique in having the kids clubs forward next to the Lotus Spa rather than aft where there is room for a proper outdoor play area. The "blue whale" was definitely still there on Golden Princess last summer though obviously poorly maintained. According to the deck plans (and announcements at the time of its major refit) it has been removed from Grand Princess but I have seen conflicting reports (accompanied by photos of uncertain provenance) claiming it is still there.

And Caribbean Princess (the ship I am assuming being referred to in post #18; CP is actually the company acronym for Sea Princess) is not the only ship in the fleet with the two swimming features at the aft of Sports Deck consisting of one hot tub and one splash pool. Star Princess is the same, per both my memory and the deck plans.

23 hours ago, jondfk said:

We like princess because it doesn't have climbing walls, water slides and surf rides.  We, as a family, like the facilities offered, my kids just want to swim, eat and play.  Not all families want full on loud activities, my kids don't, for those who do there are other cruise lines to choose from. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fishywood said:

Grand Princess and Golden Princess were built with a "splash area" next to the kid's club with a whale-shaped concrete cut-out in the deck that was (when new at least) filled with water. Clearly designed for no one larger than a toddler. Would these be considered "pools" in the regulatory sense and thus technically off limits to kiddies in diapers? If so they have no function at all beyond decorative.

Anywhere you are allowed into the water is a "recreational water facility", and unless designed and operated to the "baby only" requirements, then kids in diapers are not allowed.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for correcting me, fishywood! I always forget that Caribbean Princess is referred to as CB, not CP! My apologies.

The pool I was referring to on Caribbean Princess was specifically designated as "kids pool", it was right next to kids club, had a sun sail over it for shade and no lounges around. Kind of really well kept secret :). I have not been on Star Princess, but the other Grand class ships I have been on didnt have same pool (Coral, Crown, Emerald, Ruby)

On 4/23/2019 at 10:04 AM, cruisingrob21 said:

Yeah the little whale pool looks like it will be rehabilitated but still be a splash pool.  Otherwise it's pretty much replacing underutilized sundeck area.  Should be a nice addition.  The bar back there was always hit or miss as far as when it was open, I imagine it will do a killing now.

It should be a very good addition to an underutilized area and bar!  :classic_cool:

• Like 1