Eyes on board glasses?

addie19

14 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

I do agree 5m seas was not that bad...... 30m would be terrifying .....

But I was serous, these ladies on our three sea day across the Tasman ,with 1m sea ( flat calm )  were complaining how rough is was... and that they were not feeling well.... we did get a bit of 3m seas on the way home... and never saw them again.

Cheers Don 

Don't get me wrong, I have all the sympathy for those who get sick, because I'm prone to it as well in seas over 5m, but it's really dependent on the size of the ship and corresponding motion; if I'm going weightless on pitch, I'm probably going to be honking for a couple of hours/days depending on the storm, but if the ship is just rolling side-to-side, I'll be horizontal and rocked like a baby to sleep.

Some of the things I've seen in big storms would be unbelievable to most people. I watched a full-sized photocopier come loose from it's fasteners and roll right across the deck (about 30'), smashing into the door to the Doc's office and that didn't stop it. Doc woke up when the photocopier landed on him while he was in his reclining chair.

The biggest storm I've seen actually ripped the door off the back of the 3"70 gun. That's 3" thick, cold-rolled steel which departed the back of the gun like it was a piece of paper being torn in half. We also lost all the life rafts off the aft of the ship (probably six or seven, 20-man liferafts) and a whole bunch of other damage. Most people don't realize that you still have to work in those conditions. It's like working in a building that's experiencing an earthquake, and it doesn't stop for weeks at a time.

Mama nature is pretty evil when she wants to be.

Edited by Sean_B

21 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Because even though we have motion sickness, we still want to see the world and are willing to put up with not feeling our personal best all the time.  If there are things that help with motion sickness, that just makes travel easier for us.

Smooth Sailing! 

There are many ways to see the world that don't require drugs, goofy glasses, magic amulets, ginger pills and keeping a constant weather eye for the first sign of rough waters. 

Sea sickness is in your head. Not meaning that you only imagine it. Your brain cannot comprehend what is happening and causing motion sickness. You can beat it with learning how to do it. Those that do not agree just have no idea or do not care about beating it. Those that have ringing in the ears and balance problems from it should already know how to beat the disneyness. It is much worse than sea sickness. It is doing exactly the same thing for sea or any motion sickness.

5 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Sea sickness is in your head. Not meaning that you only imagine it. Your brain cannot comprehend what is happening and causing motion sickness. You can beat it with learning how to do it. Those that do not agree just have no idea or do not care about beating it. Those that have ringing in the ears and balance problems from it should already know how to beat the disneyness. It is much worse than sea sickness. It is doing exactly the same thing for sea or any motion sickness.

Thank you Dr. for your opinion. Some of the best motion sickness Dr's in the world would like to have you on their staff with your expert diagnosis.

I've had two of the best in the world try to help those in the Navy and it's not something that you can fix. You either get sick, or you don't.

Edited by Sean_B
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'd be interested in getting these for my son's girlfriend.  She has issues in cars, planes, and boats on a somewhat regular basis.  

I like that they can be worn for a short period of time each day, rather than needing to walk around with them on all day long.  

• Like 1

If you cannot learn how to beat it. You won't. I am only trying to help not act like a know it all. I am sure many just cannot lean how to. I was in the NAVY 7 years and never saw any sailor get sick. However we did transport marines and many go sick. Those glasses do what blinders do on a horse. Keep you looking where you need to so you do not realize the motion. Simple and effective.

On 4/29/2019 at 11:55 AM, twodaywonder said:

Your screen name is very apt. As for me, I take medication for motion sickness because of inner ear issues. I had no idea that I could just think it away.

However I am very certain it has nothing to do with disney cruise line and it''s disneyness.

• Like 2

I spent 14 years in the Navy and I saw plenty of sailors get sea sick, even on Carriers, before I transferred to the air force and haven't been sick a day since. I was introduced to the spin course where they try to 'teach' you to learn not to be sick and after 8 years of running the course, some of the best Doctors in the world specializing in motion sickness have determined that you can't teach someone to not be motion sick. It is a physical, not physiological response in your body and your response is like telling someone not to get the flu. "Just don't get it, it's simple"

• Like 1

I have the same problem with inner ear and the disneyness it causes. I have spun around and fell to the ground. I had to pull over in my car and take a lot of time for it to pass after heavy sweats and sickness. Then, going to the doctor for the ringing and the inner ear I realized it is the same as sea sickness just far worse. Your inner ear is telling your brain that you're moving and your body is trying to keep up with it. But you're not moving. just the opposite of sea sickness. But the same applies. It did for me. Anytime I feel it coming on. I stop and look and concentrate on any object that is not moving. (sea sickness. The horizon)  I Just stay still while doing this. It goes away in a few seconds. I have also found out that a very strong antihistamine (Nostrilla) Walmart has there brand less expensive. it can raise your blood pressure. Sprayed in your nose will help alleviate and stop the disneyness that the inner ear can cause. reason. Liquid in the upper nose and into the ear area. It will dry it up and the disneyness will go away. Inner ear and sea sickness do not offer the same problems to your brain. One is a medical condition and the other is your brain screwing you up. Again. My wife, son and daughter got car sick. My wife got sea sick. teaching them how to beat it cured all three. So it is just from my experience nothing else. All That I have been told by numerous doctors I am just trying to convey. if you cannot beat it. Sure, thak the pills or the patch. Whatever works. Now getting seasick on an aircraft carrier. is in your head for sure. You cannot tell if it is in port or at sea. You mind is telling you you are at sea and thus GET SICK. Unless you have 20-40 ft waves. Then yes it moves.

4 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

If you cannot learn how to beat it. You won't. I am only trying to help not act like a know it all. I am sure many just cannot lean how to. I was in the NAVY 7 years and never saw any sailor get sick. However we did transport marines and many go sick. Those glasses do what blinders do on a horse. Keep you looking where you need to so you do not realize the motion. Simple and effective.

That is NOTHING like how these glasses work.  Did you even LOOK at them?  There's nothing remotely like blinders at all!

Anyone else wondering if cb has a new screen name?  The toddler-esque need for attention and spewing of blatantly false information is astounding.  

Off to add another name to my "ignore posts from this user" list.  For those not aware of this feature, it blocks all posts by any screen name you add to the list, so you aren't subjected to that person's obnoxious, rude, and false posts anymore.  

• Like 1

On 4/29/2019 at 6:55 AM, K32682 said:

There are many ways to see the world that don't require drugs, goofy glasses, magic amulets, ginger pills and keeping a constant weather eye for the first sign of rough waters. 

What do you suggest as a mode of transportation to see the world that doesn't , as you say, require goofy glasses, magic amulets(really???), etc.? 

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

I am eager to hear reviews on these glasses that is not tied to their website.  A non medical solution would be great but I'm leery.

I've suffered from motion sickness ever since I was a child.  Over the years I've tried numerous solutions to remedy it but the only thing that works for me is medication. 

If I was to limit my travels to modes of transportation that doesn't set off my motion sickness, my travels would be limited.  Thankfully I know my triggers and how to prevent it from flairing up.  When it comes to cruising, after my 1st cruise, I started using the patch.  I may only have one minor episode per cruise which is acceptable to me and the only side effect I have is dry mouth which is easily corrected.   

• Like 1

The theory behind the glasses makes sense - you get seasick when the sensations of motion in your inner ear don't match what your eyes see, such as when you're inside a rocking ship and can't see the stable horizon. The fluid in the glasses mimics the motion of the fluid in your inner ear, so it (somewhat) inconspicuously provides a visual cue in sync with the sensations of motion in your inner ear. If this visual cue is enough it should alleviate symptoms of motion sickness - at least in theory...

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/24/2019 at 6:25 AM, addie19 said:

I did buy a pair to check out. $23 total. It's worth a shot to not have to take so much meclizine!

I get very woozy, dizzy, and awful headaches on cruises. Whatever bit of motion sickness I have has progressively gotten worse with each cruise and age. It starts the moment I step on board, I can feel the motion despite being in port. I have trouble on planes more than I've had before too. If I'm looking out the window and the plane is turning or banked then my head starts spinning. I'm really hoping they help the most after a cruise! I have really bad "sea legs" and have to take meds for up to a week after sailing.

Next stop is 15 day round trip l.a. to Hawaii with 10 sea days. Never had that long of a cruise or sea days before.

So did you purchase them and use them?  I'm interested in getting feedback as my daughter suffers from motion sickness. Thanks!

So did you purchase them and use them?  I'm interested in getting feedback as my daughter suffers from motion sickness. Thanks!
I purchased for a cruise in December. They took 3-4 weeks to arrive. I'll see how they do!
  • Like 1

I used to suffer from motion sickness.  I remember getting car sick at the drop of a hat.  Then something happened in my late teens and it went away.  Now i'm not bothered by any motion, at least that I've encountered.  That includes bobbing around in small  boats.

Anyway, I feel lucky and grateful that I don't suffer from motion sickness.   I feel for anyone who has to suffer through being sea sick.  

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 1

I get badly sea-sick but, thankfully, can tolerate the patch. However, I am on quite a lot of other medication, so I would be happy to find an alternative solution for the seasickness.

To the person that sneered about taking cruises when you suffer from sea-sickness - I am unable to sit comfortably for more than short periods of time. Certainly not long enough to fly anywhere, or take long road trips. With cruising, I can get to Southampton in less than an hour and, after that, the world comes to me. If I can't cruise, my 'travelling' would be limited to short car journeys only.

• Like 2