First time NCL Questions

JimmyBuffet99

Hello, 

after 6 cruises on Carnival, we are trying our first on NCL on the Escape out of NY in November. 

Carnival seemed so straight forward with what was charged and what wasn’t. 

1. So what things have added costs? 

2. How do you reserve the broadway shows? Before you cruise? Day of? Ect...

I think that is it for now. Thanks for the help! 

the added costs are the pay restaurants,( the main DR are fantastic , but  we mostly skip the pay ones except for special occasion), photos, the bars and soda ( if you don't buy the package), stuff like that are all extra and typically a couple of the shows require $. ( we love the free shows in the theatre too) 

We make our show and shore excursions reservations online asap ( I believe its 90 days prior to sailing) because some fill up SO fast. We like to eat at 5p so we can make the 7p shows, so we reserve the dining times as Weill.  Have fun and welcome to NCL!! 😉

1 minute ago, fairygirl1 said:

the added costs are the pay restaurants,( the main DR are fantastic , but  we mostly skip the pay ones except for special occasion), photos, the bars and soda ( if you don't buy the package), stuff like that are all extra and typically a couple of the shows require $. ( we love the free shows in the theatre too) 

We make our show and shore excursions reservations online asap ( I believe its 90 days prior to sailing) because some fill up SO fast. We like to eat at 5p so we can make the 7p shows, so we reserve the dining times as Weill.  Have fun and welcome to NCL!! 😉

Thank you! 

So, I can reserve the Broadway show online ahead of time. Perfect! And if you don’t set dining times, can you simply show up whenever? 

We we got the drink package free with the booking so I can’t wait for that. Mid ship mini suite is what we booked as my wife loves a balcony. 

Do you pay for the escape room game or games like deal or no deal? 

Sorry for for all the questions 

55 minutes ago, JimmyBuffet99 said:

Hello, 

after 6 cruises on Carnival, we are trying our first on NCL on the Escape out of NY in November. 

Carnival seemed so straight forward with what was charged and what wasn’t. 

1. So what things have added costs? 

2. How do you reserve the broadway shows? Before you cruise? Day of? Ect...

I think that is it for now. Thanks for the help! 

Added costs

specialty dining rooms. 

Booze, sodas, bottles water, specialty coffees. 

Broadway shows and dining reservations open 120 days prior to departure. They will sell out quickly. Book quickly. (You have booked a mega ship). 

Escape room is free. Book on embarkation day at the Theater box office. Sells out fast. 

Main dining room is walk up. 

Specialty restaurants require a reservation.

Walk ups are seated if there are no shows. 

On the Escape, there is a lot to do for free:

• main theater shows (require reservations)
  • comedy shows (Headliners requires reservation, but here will be one show in the main theater that doesn't)
  • Howl at the Moon in Headliners (no reservations)
  • Escape the Big Top (make reservation as soon as you board)
  • "game shows" in the Atrium (though you do have to pay for a card for Deal or No Deal)
  • live music in bars/lounges throughout the ship
  • mini-golf
  • ropes course
  • water slides

For main dining rooms (there are three) and O'sheehan's you just walk up whenever. No reservation needed, though they are recommended for large parties. For specialty restaurants, you can book online ahead of your sailing but if they sell out, fear not, because more booking times are available on board.

Extra cost entertainment is in the Supper Club, which includes dinner with the show.

Note that specialty coffees, bottle water, and canned soda are NOT covered in your drink package. Some top shelf liqueur will cost you more, but those are clearly noted on the drink menus at the bars. All of the draft beer and the VAST majority of the bottled beer from the District Brew House *is* included in the drink package.

• Like 1

We love both Carnival and NCL, but one of the things we prefer on NCL is the variety of the restaurants. For instance, most NCL ships have a (extra-cost) French restaurant and Brazilian steakhouse. There is NOTHING like that on any Carnival ship I've been on. Even if you don't feel like paying extra, all NCL ships have a pub serving cooked-to-order pub food in the evenings (cheeseburgers, fish & chips, etc). Again, Carnival has nothing like this.

3 hours ago, RaiderDuck said:

We love both Carnival and NCL, but one of the things we prefer on NCL is the variety of the restaurants. For instance, most NCL ships have a (extra-cost) French restaurant and Brazilian steakhouse. There is NOTHING like that on any Carnival ship I've been on. Even if you don't feel like paying extra, all NCL ships have a pub serving cooked-to-order pub food in the evenings (cheeseburgers, fish & chips, etc). Again, Carnival has nothing like this.

Yeah, I am getting more and more excited as I read more on these boards. Humidor cigar room? Yes please! 

I cant wait for the pub and having a few cold beer in 5’oclock somewhere as I am kinda a buffet fan...I know,  hard to tell. 

The Brazilian steakhouse intrigues me. The last one I went to on land was unlimited meat, same on NCL? And do you happen to know the price? 

Thanks for all the help. 

I feel like this is definitely a step up from Carnival for us.  

40 minutes ago, JimmyBuffet99 said:

Yeah, I am getting more and more excited as I read more on these boards. Humidor cigar room? Yes please! 

I cant wait for the pub and having a few cold beer in 5’oclock somewhere as I am kinda a buffet fan...I know,  hard to tell. 

The Brazilian steakhouse intrigues me. The last one I went to on land was unlimited meat, same on NCL? And do you happen to know the price? 

Thanks for all the help. 

I *think* that Moderno is $27 per person? Much cheaper then the one in my home town! And, yes, it's unlimited meat along with an amazing salad bar, unlimited sides, and these delicious cheese bread bite things.

Edited by JamieLogical

27 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I *think* that Moderno is $27 per person? Much cheaper then the one in my home town! And, yes, it's unlimited meat along with an amazing salad bar, unlimited sides, and these delicious cheese bread bite things.

Well that settles it, I need to bring stretchy pants ! I would happily pay that one night for the experience. 

Thank you 

If you are okay with spending a little money on specialty dining on the Escape, I also HIGHLY recommend Pincho Tappas. It is a la carte pricing, so you can just get a couple if things. The cheese tray is excellent and costs $11. There are also amazing things link chorizo skewers, duck, lamb, and other tasty treats for around $5 per serving. It is one of my favorite things about the Escape and is unique to the Escape among all the NCL ship's. They have Waterfront seating, which is lovely when the weather is nice.

Moderno has seating on the Waterfront too, so make sure you ask to be seated outside when you show up for your reservation, weather permitting.

3 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I *think* that Moderno is $27 per person?

$29.95 + 20%

900x400_escp_moderno2.jpg

"Looking for a unique experience? Our authentic Brazilian steakhouse is a must. Start with an impressive salad bar, but save room for skewers of slow-roasted meats carved tableside by our Pasadores. Oceanside seating available."

4 hours ago, JimmyBuffet99 said:

It is. 

As long as you learn the differences before sailing and don't fall into the "...but I'm used to Carnival and the way that they do things..." trap, you'll likely enjoy NCL over Carnival. 

If you fall into the "Haven" trap on NCL, you'll never go back to Carnival. :classic_tongue:

We sailed mostly Carnival until a few years ago. We love Norwegian and are going back on the Escape next year. The biggest change for us was making show reservations ahead of time online. We also made dinner reservations ahead of time at the main restaurants if there were shows we wanted to see the same night.

Margaritaville is cool. Was never crowded. Loved O'Sheehans for the casual pub food and atmosphere.

Don't miss the dueling pianos! So fun.

Enjoy your cruise!!

If whatever you want to do has an extra price attached to it, you will know.  They don't try to sneak these past you. 

It is possible to have a great cruise & not spend one extra penny on special restaurants or other cost enhancers.  Personally I don't think any of the specialty restaurants are worth it because it's still the same chefs.  If you want a fabulous dining experience make a reservation at some amazing place in NYC before you sail.  

Enjoy.  Each cruise line is unique but they are more similar then different.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RaiderDuck said:

and all the chicken wings you can eat in the pub. you get 6 per order, but you can order all you want. also the pub has a very good breakfast.

13 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

And excellent grilled pineapple.

1 hour ago, linbobky said:

and all the chicken wings you can eat in the pub. you get 6 per order, but you can order all you want. also the pub has a very good breakfast.

Well this will pretty much seal the deal for my son. 

1 hour ago, myjillian said:

If you book this please give yourself mim. 2 hrs to eat...you don't want to rush this experience...savor it😍

And all the next day to recover from the meat sweats 😊