Icon of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

the FERU's positioning is temporary as the keel block pattern will have to be rearranged from the substantially smaller Excel-class ships (Celebration and her sisters). I doubt there's a crane anywhere cabable of lifting the FERU's bulk, certainly not the gantries pictured. So, there will have to be another flooding, although there's no need to reach sea level, rather just enough for the keel to clear the blocks.

Edited by dieter223
  • Thanks 1

On 1/4/2022 at 2:42 PM, John&LaLa said:

Saw that on MB FB page. Guess it's a fuel tank

I don’t think the sphere is a fuel tank.  LNG tanks are about 2.5 times the internal volume of diesel tanks for the same energy capacity.  External volume is even bigger counting the insulation (typically about 20cm of mineral wool.  Excluding LNG carriers, good practice for LNG fueled vessels is to have exactly two LNG tanks onboard.  That sphere looks too small to be one of two LNG tanks on Icon.  The advantage of a sphere is reduced boil-off rate, but that wouldn’t matter for a cruise ship which is always going to have at least one engine running at least several hours per week and consuming the boil-off gas.  The LNG tanks on Icon will probably be shaped to fit the space available.  My guess is one forward of midships and one aft of midships.

11 minutes ago, FalklandIslander said:

I don’t think the sphere is a fuel tank.  LNG tanks are about 2.5 times the internal volume of diesel tanks for the same energy capacity.  External volume is even bigger counting the insulation (typically about 20cm of mineral wool.  Excluding LNG carriers, good practice for LNG fueled vessels is to have exactly two LNG tanks onboard.  That sphere looks too small to be one of two LNG tanks on Icon.  The advantage of a sphere is reduced boil-off rate, but that wouldn’t matter for a cruise ship which is always going to have at least one engine running at least several hours per week and consuming the boil-off gas.  The LNG tanks on Icon will probably be shaped to fit the space available.  My guess is one forward of midships and one aft of midships.

Some energy, but not much, would be expanded using the sphere. 🚶‍♂️🚶‍♀️👟👞🥾👠🥿👡👢 😜

4 minutes ago, FalklandIslander said:

The waterline beam of 48.79 meters combined with what we know about enclosed volume (gross tonnage), it’s a safe bet that Icon will have a central open area similar to boardwalk / central park along with the inward facing balcony cabins.

Yup. Definitely.  Some of the blocks we've seen show evidence of that as well.

Edited by Lloyd555
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, FalklandIslander said:

I have to agree that it’s not going to hold LNG. It wouldn’t make sense to put fuel inside of a submersible underwater observatory / lounge, especially after all the expense of installing all those risers for the theater seating, ramps, duct work and openings for the viewing window and entry hatch.🤪

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

I have to agree that it’s not going to hold LNG. It wouldn’t make sense to put fuel inside of a submersible underwater observatory / lounge, especially after all the expense of installing all those risers for the theater seating, ramps, duct work and openings for the viewing window and entry hatch.🤪

Pretty sure we decided it wasn't a fuel tank about 6 weeks ago😉🤣🤣🤣

10 hours ago, Lloyd555 said:

Some energy, but not much, would be expanded using the sphere. 🚶‍♂️🚶‍♀️👟👞🥾👠🥿👡👢 😜

So at the least walking through it will require expending energy. As there appears to be steps/tiers, walking up & down will expend more energy. 🙂

This image again...

sphere round staircase 2.jpg

Edited by Tough as Leather

5 minutes ago, Tough as Leather said:

Forgot to ask in the previous post...

Looking at the icon keel pieces in the shipyard. Anything to watch out for that would indicate that they are parts of the FERU or engine area of the ship?

You can look for some sea chest gratings. 

I believe that they can mostly be found in the engine room.

2111417304_MISC1a.thumb.jpg.ef86a72693a37f3751c84ffc6fd9365c.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tough as Leather said:

Forgot to ask in the previous post...

Looking at the icon keel pieces in the shipyard. Anything to watch out for that would indicate that they are parts of the FERU or engine area of the ship?

I was wondering about this block in the background. Could those attach to the engines? Maybe combustion air intake riser or to the exhaust stack?

image.png.271964a0ea592171be802c6fa1328d13.png

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tough as Leather said:

Any news on what happens next?!

Do you know anything new about the Icon?

No big news or knowledge of schedule.

One of the keel sections (two views of it in the insets) has been moved somewhere. 

received_289706916590660.thumb.jpeg.f48a97814d5c0d65a28ef3e2a69dfdd4.jpeg

They may be getting it ready to place it in the basin. 

New stuff about Icon? 

Yup.  Nothing that I can repeat though.🙄

Edited by Lloyd555
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Lloyd555 said:

One of the keel sections (two views of it in the insets) has been moved somewhere. 

New stuff about Icon? 

Yup.  Nothing that I can repeat though.🙄

Move all the keel sections up to the basin!!!

Old Fart Cruisers, I wish there was something to laugh/smile about, but no news yet. 😪

Give us something cryptic  Lloyd555!

Edited by Tough as Leather

Looking at all the recent photos and the FERU now in the dry dock, I was curious what the length of the dry dock is. So with the help of google I found this.

“The yard area is 144 hectares (360 acres). The yard is operated by Meyer Turku Oy. The dry dock is 365 metres (1,198 ft) long, 80 metres (260 ft) wide and 10 metres (33 ft) deep, and equipped with two bridge cranes with capacities of 600 tonnes and 1,200 tonnes.”

Allure of the Seas that was also built here has a length of 1,187 ft.

• Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Lloyd555 said:

Speaking of the drydock,  does anyone know what this (permanent?) object is on its floor?

Kind of hard to see the details of it. Does it have a groove/opening through the middle? Given its position in the basin and just guessing from a none ship Engineer, I would say it perhaps has to be for the block that has the Azipods with that center fin. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Besides the dueling pianos, is there anything else that we would like to see on the Icon of the Seas?

From the FB group list:

new cabin design

new type of ride

a room that allows you to see under the hull of the ship

covered solarium

interactive walls, floors, dining room tables, etc

infinity pool <----- THAT'S A BIG YES FOR ME!

more solo traveller options

ice bar

circus show

ropes course

planetarium

outdoor seating for the Windjammer

brewery

hammocks on pool deck

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tough as Leather said:

planetarium

Is this the Sphere? Somewhere earlier when Lloyd posted those first sphere images I mentioned that it could be something you would see at Kennedy Space Center. 

There are other interesting things on your list.

“a room that allows you to see under the hull of the ship

covered solarium”  - This sounds really cool. The price of an Inside/Underwater Cabin has just gone up 😀

interactive walls, floors, dining room tables, etc” - Something like those rides/shows at Universal Studios.

Lots of cool things. I think once Wonder arrives in PEV and is on its inaugural sailing we might start to see and hear more about Icon.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tall-Cruiser said:

Is this the Sphere? I wish, but no. 😞

Somewhere earlier when Lloyd posted those first sphere images I mentioned that it could be something you would see at Kennedy Space Center. 

There are other interesting things on your list.

“a room that allows you to see under the hull of the ship

covered solarium”  - This sounds really cool. The price of an Inside/Underwater Cabin has just gone up 😀

interactive walls, floors, dining room tables, etc” - Something like those rides/shows at Universal Studios.

Lots of cool things. I think once Wonder arrives in PEV and is on its inaugural sailing we might start to see and hear more about Icon.

I hope that once Wonder is in service that we start to hear from Royal about the Icon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tough as Leather said:

Besides the dueling pianos, is there anything else that we would like to see on the Icon of the Seas?

From the FB group list:

new cabin design Yes, please!

new type of ride Yes! Such as?! Race cars?

a room that allows you to see under the hull of the ship Nice, but what will we end up being able to see?

covered solarium

interactive walls, floors, dining room tables, etc Yes, please!

infinity pool Yes, please! Where (what deck, etc) on the ship would you want to see this?

more solo traveller options Yes, please!

ice bar Yes, please!

circus show Yes, please!

ropes course

planetarium Yes, please! That would mean two spheres on board?! 😎

outdoor seating for the Windjammer Yes, please!

brewery Cheers!

hammocks on pool deck Yes, please! ZZZZZZ

I responded above.

Animal sculptures similar to what is on Quantum-class. At least it gives us another guessing game. 😛

Edited by Lloyd555

On 2/18/2022 at 9:01 PM, Tough as Leather said:

Move all the keel sections up to the basin!!!

Old Fart Cruisers, I wish there was something to laugh/smile about, but no news yet. 😪

Give us something cryptic  Lloyd555!

Well, we talk about the Icon of the Seas being wider/narrower, heavier/lighter and shorter/longer than the Oasis-class, but what about a height comparison?  I don't mean the height of the whole ship; but one of its zones (I'll let you look up synonyms for that :D) may just be higher (I could have used a better synonym) than we are used to. 🤐

• Like 1