Confusing pricing

Lovely other

This has me baffled so maybe someone with more knowledge can explain it ...

I’ve had my eye on a cruise as part of a research trip for my new novel for some time. I kept checking prices for both double and single occupancy as my Husband wasn’t sure if he would be free. Recently the price per person for double occupancy dropped considerably but the price for single occupancy went up considerably at the same time 🤔 !?!   

This occured just as my Husband decides he definitely can’t come with me, but the price rise means I can’t go either now 😕

Confused ... 

3 hours ago, Lovely other said:

I’ve had my eye on a cruise as part of a research trip for my new novel for some time. I kept checking prices for both double and single occupancy as my Husband wasn’t sure if he would be free. Recently the price per person for double occupancy dropped considerably but the price for single occupancy went up considerably at the same time 🤔 !?!   

This occured just as my Husband decides he definitely can’t come with me, but the price rise means I can’t go either now 😕

Confused ... 

Maybe a little more information like which cruise might garner more responses.  

4 hours ago, Lovely other said:

Confused ... 

I'm a solo cruiser, and solo pricing is sometimes capacity controlled.  Meaning they only allow a certain number of cabins to be single occupied.  This is where a TA could help you or maybe call HAL directly and speak to someone.  Solo pricing online can be squirrely.

Also, solo pricing may be limited on high demand cruises.

Roz

Edited by Roz

9 minutes ago, Lovely other said:

What is a big box .? 

A big-box store (also supercenter, superstore, or megastore) is a physically large retail establishment, usually part of a chain of stores. The term sometimes also refers, by extension, to the company that operates the store. One (or more?) have a travel agency as part of the business, but by CC rules, can't be named.

25 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

A big-box store (also supercenter, superstore, or megastore) is a physically large retail establishment, usually part of a chain of stores. The term sometimes also refers, by extension, to the company that operates the store. One (or more?) have a travel agency as part of the business, but by CC rules, can't be named.

But if you dont need a lot of hand holding DAMN are their prices good!

You could also try checking prices with different travel agencies and/or in different categories. Us people who travel solo are very used to having to pay double occupancy for a cabin. On HAL, that is the norm. You are lucky if you can get 150% or 175% of the rate. 

Also, if you are willing to wait until two or three months before sailing date, after final payment,  and the ship isn't full, you might get a bargain on a solo rate.  But info re the cruise and date would be helpful.

The cruise is in two weeks time and was in the med  ... price dropped eventually but I’ve chosen not to go on that one. Going to Norway instead but still getting stung with a close to 200% fare !