Special Needs

Let me start this off by stating that I firmly believe that social media (in most of its forms) is an amazing tool for change and communication. Not only is it a tool to gain information (like the posts here about tips, tricks, menus, experiences etc) but it is also a way to impact change. I've noticed that many times topics on here find their way to other message boards, facebook groups and even to Carnival staff themselves. So, I thought I'd start a post that *maybe* might find it's way to those who have the power to make changes. And, if not, I think it also educates everyone who reads the posts about things they may not know about/have experienced or ways to help support others. 

I'm NOT starting this thread as a place to complain. Carnival has very specific special needs email addresses and staff to complain to (which I've definitely done before as needed, as well as shared suggestions of my own).

Instead--I'm starting this thread as a way for people to share their suggestions, hopes and desires to help make Carnival cruises more accessible/enjoyable for those with special needs. Anyone who has special needs or has someone with special needs/disabilities in their family/friend circle knows that there are many things that people just don't understand about the various disabilities and many times, small changes can make a difference to how someone experiences something like a cruise. That said, I'd love to read what suggestions you have to make cruising a more "equal" experience regardless of disabilities. I am looking forward to reading them and educating myself on the challenges others face. And maybe they will find their way to people who can make changes....

Not to be that person, but I think they already do enough. No one needs to go on a cruise. Having disabilities and special needs unfortunately happens to a lot of people (myself included) and if that is the case, it is your own responsibility to deal with it or not cruise if it is too difficult. The only thing I really think they could improve upon is being able to make special dining requests online versus having to wait until you get there. On airlines, you can request special meals when booking your ticket. Granted that is only a handful of meals, but I still feel that for typical dietary requests (dairy free, gluten free, low salt, low fat, etc etc) you should be able to make them online. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Vitamin Sea Addict said:

Let me start this off by stating that I firmly believe that social media (in most of its forms) is an amazing tool for change and communication. Not only is it a tool to gain information (like the posts here about tips, tricks, menus, experiences etc) but it is also a way to impact change. I've noticed that many times topics on here find their way to other message boards, facebook groups and even to Carnival staff themselves. So, I thought I'd start a post that *maybe* might find it's way to those who have the power to make changes. And, if not, I think it also educates everyone who reads the posts about things they may not know about/have experienced or ways to help support others. 

I'm NOT starting this thread as a place to complain. Carnival has very specific special needs email addresses and staff to complain to (which I've definitely done before as needed, as well as shared suggestions of my own).

Instead--I'm starting this thread as a way for people to share their suggestions, hopes and desires to help make Carnival cruises more accessible/enjoyable for those with special needs. Anyone who has special needs or has someone with special needs/disabilities in their family/friend circle knows that there are many things that people just don't understand about the various disabilities and many times, small changes can make a difference to how someone experiences something like a cruise. That said, I'd love to read what suggestions you have to make cruising a more "equal" experience regardless of disabilities. I am looking forward to reading them and educating myself on the challenges others face. And maybe they will find their way to people who can make changes....

You bring up a good point While I am  a Royal Caribbean cruiser I am sure my thoughts would be helpful across the board. I have sailed on Princess and Cunard as well.

Perhaps having an onboard Accessibility Ambassadors who is the person that goes between shoreside and shipside accessibility departments advocating for the guests  and employees with disabilities.

This individual would be able to assist with any accessible needs from wheelchairs , to Autism to   those with hearing impairments and visual impairments assisting with Muster Drill, ensuring that Camp Carnival is an all inclusive environment etc.

This ambassadors would also work with the Head Chef for food allergies or special dietary requests.

About two weeks before the cruise the Special Needs form is submitted to the Ambassador department with all the guests and each ambassador is assigned to cabins by Muster Station location.

At the embarkation and debarkation ports the ambassadors will assist passengers with special-needs with the embarkation process. On the last night before the cruise there will be a meeting with those who needs assistance in the same lounge as the disembarkation lounge to ensure they are aware of where to meet.

This ambassador team would work with the shore excursions ensuring that the tours are accessible and assist with the tendering process etc.

Thoughts?

I would love to work in this capacity on Royal Caribbean as the Ambassador Officer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Doggielover68 said:

Not to be that person, but I think they already do enough. No one needs to go on a cruise. Having disabilities and special needs unfortunately happens to a lot of people (myself included) and if that is the case, it is your own responsibility to deal with it or not cruise if it is too difficult. The only thing I really think they could improve upon is being able to make special dining requests online versus having to wait until you get there. On airlines, you can request special meals when booking your ticket. Granted that is only a handful of meals, but I still feel that for typical dietary requests (dairy free, gluten free, low salt, low fat, etc etc) you should be able to make them online. 

I think you'd find that there are many disabilities that aren't about it being too difficult to be on a cruise ship. Or a dietary thing. My child has hearing loss and obviously doesn't get a choice in what vacations he's going on. But--there are several things (especially involving announcements) that are difficult for him because of it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, travelplus said:

You bring up a good point While I am  a Royal Caribbean cruiser I am sure my thoughts would be helpful across the board. I have sailed on Princess and Cunard as well.

Perhaps having an onboard Accessibility Ambassadors who is the person that goes between shoreside and shipside accessibility departments advocating for the guests  and employees with disabilities.

This individual would be able to assist with any accessible needs from wheelchairs , to Autism to   those with hearing impairments and visual impairments assisting with Muster Drill, ensuring that Camp Carnival is an all inclusive environment etc.

This ambassadors would also work with the Head Chef for food allergies or special dietary requests.

About two weeks before the cruise the Special Needs form is submitted to the Ambassador department with all the guests and each ambassador is assigned to cabins by Muster Station location.

At the embarkation and debarkation ports the ambassadors will assist passengers with special-needs with the embarkation process. On the last night before the cruise there will be a meeting with those who needs assistance in the same lounge as the disembarkation lounge to ensure they are aware of where to meet.

This ambassador team would work with the shore excursions ensuring that the tours are accessible and assist with the tendering process etc.

Thoughts?

I would love to work in this capacity on Royal Caribbean as the Ambassador Officer.

Sounds like a great way to increase communication and support!

28 minutes ago, Vitamin Sea Addict said:

I think you'd find that there are many disabilities that aren't about it being too difficult to be on a cruise ship. Or a dietary thing. My child has hearing loss and obviously doesn't get a choice in what vacations he's going on. But--there are several things (especially involving announcements) that are difficult for him because of it. 

Yes I am aware of that. That's why I said dietary restrictions could be sorted out online. There are far too many physical and mental disabilities that are unique to the individual and there is no blanket method of covering them all.

I have a concern about elevators not accessing all decks on Carnival ships. The sports deck on a lot of ships require you to climb a flight of stairs.  Not a problem for most people, but it is a problem for me.  I can walk (slowly, for short distances) and play putt putt and enjoy several of the activities on the sports deck, but the stairs are such an obstacle for me.  What about the scenario of Grandma or Grandpa wanting to watch the grandkids do the ropes course, but they can't navigate the stairs?  I know that there are ADA lifts on some decks, but they are for people in wheelchairs and they aren't on all decks either.  I know that some ships have multi-level serenity decks, but the elevators don't go to all levels.  On the Mardi Gras deck plans the Loft 19 area shows an ADA lift, but no elevator.  Granted, that may change as the ship isn't built yet.  I know Carnival caters to a younger crowd and it wasn't that long ago that I took the stairs for the entire cruise because I could get there faster than waiting for the elevator. Injuries happen and time marches on so I have to rely on elevators now.  I've been on Princess and never had an issue finding an elevator to access any location on their ships.  I prefer the fun ship experience on Carnival, but that is my pet peeve about mobility issues and their ships.

Due to mobility issues, I've had to use my Mobility Scooter on our last 6 cruises. I must say although our last 6 cruises have been on the same ship (Carnival Pride), I have never encountered any issues at all; elevator issues are non-existent, getting around the ship is easy for me, crew is always helpful, as are the guests. My DH is always able to help me if I need assistance with anything. I always contact Special Needs before our cruise and give them all the specifics re: the scooter. Maybe because I don't require an accessible cabin yet, and maybe because the Pride is so easy to navigate, I can't think of anything else they could do for me. I was able to do the tenders in the past, but now with the scooter it's not as easy, but it's okay. I've seen most of the places I've wanted to see. I'm sure other folks may have other needs, but I can't think of any improvements that I would need at this time. Carnival has always been very accommodating to me.

2 hours ago, Vitamin Sea Addict said:

Hi

So, is this a specific issue for you, or were there other thing as well? While you ask for suggestions from other people, you haven't  brought up any specific problems or solutions yourself. 

I have travelled with my wife who needed help in certain situations and received it. I have read comments from others on this site who have required assistance, sometimes with good results, and sometimes they had issues. If you had a specific problem, why don't you discuss it?

• Like 1

On an individual basis, Carnival provides extraordinary service to adults and children with cognitive, intellectual  and physical disabilities which is the group commonly grouped as "Special Needs".   If you are referring to simply people with any type of  impairment or health issues that need (or want) additional assistance (or attention), it is impossible for any business to meet a moving target.  It would be nice if Carnival would rename the Special Needs Department to "Extra Help" department or something similar.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

It would be nice if Carnival would rename the Special Needs Department to "Extra Help" department or something similar.

Or better yet, "Assistance Department". Not to be confused with where I go when I need help with math in my school! Haha.

3 hours ago, Doggielover68 said:

When you stated "not to be that person but"...you are being that person.  Possibly you should have just added what they could improve on because adding "but" to anything changes the intent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, KimPossible1 said:

When you stated "not to be that person but"...you are being that person.  Possibly you should have just added what they could improve on because adding "but" to anything changes the intent.

Thank you, captain obvious. It is a public forum so I can phrase my opinions how I wish. Besides, I am that person. I have nothing to hide. 

I said the cruise line does enough because that is my opinion. 

Edited by Doggielover68

I'll elaborate some of my suggestions. When the captain or CD makes an announcement and they do the "Announcement in progress" screen on the big Dive In screen, it's super hard to hear. If we're at the water park and my child has no hearing aids in, there's no way the message could be heard. To me, I try to translate that into how any hearing impaired adults may struggle. With the Hub App, I feel like text versions could easily be send/be a part of the system. 

I also feel that for children of ANY special needs, a different/additional bracelet than the green muster station bracelet could be given so that staff (especially with some language barriers) could realize that the child has a disability that may not be visibly apparent. I think it helps EVERYONE interact better when they know other factors are in play.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Vitamin Sea Addict said:

I'll elaborate some of my suggestions. When the captain or CD makes an announcement and they do the "Announcement in progress" screen on the big Dive In screen, it's super hard to hear. If we're at the water park and my child has no hearing aids in, there's no way the message could be heard. To me, I try to translate that into how any hearing impaired adults may struggle. With the Hub App, I feel like text versions could easily be send/be a part of the system. 

I also feel that for children of ANY special needs, a different/additional bracelet than the green muster station bracelet could be given so that staff (especially with some language barriers) could realize that the child has a disability that may not be visibly apparent. I think it helps EVERYONE interact better when they know other factors are in play.

Hi

I think these are interesting points to consider. Since you originally were hoping that your points would be noticed and considered by the company, I would suggest that you discuss your ideas with John Heald. He is a company representative, and he is approachable. He is considered their good will ambassador. You can communicate with him on his FB page. He responds to many people who have much more frivolous concerns than yourself. At least he is someone that can speak with the company heads. Your ideas are good and should be heard. Please let us know how he responds to you.

take care

2 minutes ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

I think these are interesting points to consider. Since you originally were hoping that your points would be noticed and considered by the company, I would suggest that you discuss your ideas with John Heald. He is a company representative, and he is approachable. He is considered their good will ambassador. You can communicate with him on his FB page. He responds to many people who have much more frivolous concerns than yourself. At least he is someone that can speak with the company heads. Your ideas are good and should be heard. Please let us know how he responds to you.

take care

I've thought about contacting him (and have on FB for other responses). BUT--and maybe it's my FB persona--I don't like to air a lot of my life on FB. I wish there was a way to post as a visitor on his page without EVERYONE that is my FB friend from seeing it. I have thoughts and ideas, I just don't 100% want to open them up for everyone to deal with. I feel the same way about seeing people post their stateroom number and travel plans on FB. It feels like it's inviting everyone to know you're not at home 😉 I really like John Heald (despite some public opinion) and feel that he means well. I just don't want to make the thread public knowledge by putting in on FB. I feel like so many topics on hear become polls...so maybe he checks in? And will see that the special needs community has suggestions and thoughts that they'd like to share without the Carnival Access people "sharing with the appropriate department heads" as they do through email. 

5 hours ago, Doggielover68 said:

I agree I too am handicapped for lack of a better word but when I become a burden I will quit travelling.and I'm not too far from quitting cruising.

I don't really think he "checks in" to this site. Some who do read this site will sometimes tell him what is being "said", typically about some absurd conversations.

It's up to you, but I think he would be the "insider" (real person) that you could reach out to and get a more immediate response.

good luck

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vitamin Sea Addict said:

Same here. Because my son is now too old for a green wristband (he's 15) and while he IS usually with us, having a wrist band of some kind would make me feel better about them knowing he needs to be told where to go since in a crisis situation he might melt down and go non-verbal because he's overwhelmed. 

So far though, Carnival has done a GREAT job of helping us navigate what we need to make our cruises go smoother than butter off a bald monkey's butt. A lot of times (not always, but I'd say at least half the time) we have our own on-board advocate at Guest Services to go to if anything goes wrong (which it has and they were able to not just make it up to us, but went way overboard in fixing things for us which we were SUPER appreciative of).

For me, if they had camp counselors at both the kids and teen levels that were specifically trained in dealing with kids with Autism spectrum disorders, that would be a plus. Our son has never been to the kids' /teen clubs because we never did feel confident they'd know what to do with him. Which is fine..we're on vacation to do things mostly as a family and we're OK with the fact that he's never been to the club.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vitamin Sea Addict said:

Few people can actually hear or understand CDs or the Captain announcements and repeat suggestions that it be closed captioned go unheard.  Many, many people with cognitive, intellectual  or physical disabilities find the concept of wearing anything that marks them as different repugnant.   With 1500 crew on board, there is no way they can respond to someone in crisis in an personalized manner and will react in a generalized manner.

16 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Many, many people with cognitive, intellectual  or physical disabilities find the concept of wearing anything that marks them as different repugnant.

I agree.  I wouldn't want to be marked.  I am bipolar.  I don't want people to see a bracelet and then treat me like I can't handle myself.

I only get upset when I feel like I've been cheated or screwed over.  I was bullied mercilessly in middle school, and the school and school district did nothing about it.  They did everything they could to not give me my rights, and they actively tried to get rid of me.  They violated the ADA and the Rehabilitation Act several times.  The US Department of Education Office for Civil Rights had to get involved.  My family won that battle.

I'm not even sure I'd want to tell Carnival privately.  Telling them would help them understand why I may have been irrationally upset for a few seconds, but I can also see my disability being used against me.  After those few seconds, I am calm and over whatever got me upset in the first place.  I've moved on.  Most people still only think of me as upset.  They ignore the fact that I'm over it.

Edited by Tiger0613
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiger0613 said:

I agree.  I wouldn't want to be marked.  I am bipolar.  I don't want people to see a bracelet and then treat me like I can't handle myself.

I only get upset when I feel like I've been cheated or screwed over.  I was bullied mercilessly in middle school, and the school and school district did nothing about it.  They did everything they could to not give me my rights, and they actively tried to get rid of me.  They violated the ADA and the Rehabilitation Act several times.  The US Department of Education Office for Civil Rights had to get involved.  My family won that battle.

I'm not even sure I'd want to tell Carnival privately.  Telling them would help them understand why I may have been irrationally upset for a few seconds, but I can also see my disability being used against me.  After those few seconds, I am calm and over whatever got me upset in the first place.  I've moved on.  Most people still only think of me as upset.  They ignore the fact that I'm over it.

What upsets me is that when you are too afraid to bring something up to an authoritative power or to someone providing you a service as they can reprimand you just for simply advising them. Frustrating. 

I dont have anything profound to contribute...i have mobility problems and in cancer treatment...i am proficient using a scooter but i sure wish carnival put some STAIRS into their pools...all the other major lines have at least one pool with access i can use...traveling with  multigeneration family this year so they picked the line and ship...surprising that even the newer ships dont gave them...we are doing the breeze...

I will say that my bracelet idea was of course mainly aimed at children but also something totally optional. I would in no way suggest that everyone with a disability had to wear one. It was just a thought I've had many times when a lifeguard is trying to talk to our child at the waterslides, pool etc. 

Searoses--I wish you lots of strength for your recovery and agree about the stairs. I think it would help many. 

Keep the ideas coming!