New to HAL question

sherrynny

I just took advantage of the $1 deposit of the Zuiderdam   Nov 29, 2020 Panama Canal Sunfarer cruise.  I was able to book an accessible cabin VA6049 and it has a bump out balcony, any have any experience with these cabins? Also it came with the SPB pkg, does this include the grats for the drinks, or do you still have to pay?  I know we will be charged the daily grat of $14.50.  We were originally booked on the Caribbean Princess, but I really liked this itinerary better.  Never been to Aruba or Curacao, and personally don't care if I ever go to Jamaica again.

Also what is Halfmoon Cay like?

Any help would be appreciated.

We were on a bump-out cabin on the Zuiderdam last September and absolutely loved it.  Ours was looking forward instead of aft and it really made a difference in the view.

The SPB package will include the gratuities.

Half Moon Cay is amazing.  We always look forward to our day there.  

Enjoy your cruise and welcome to Holland America!!

HMC is awesome. I'm not really interested in Caribbean cruising but boy I would go just to go back to HMC. That beach is just pristine and the bbq lunch has a lot of choices and is really good. Also Zuiderdam is a nice ship and the Sunfarer cruise is a wonderful itinerary. Enjoy your trip!

• Like 1

HMC is awesome.  Sugar like sand beaches, turquoise warm water and usually not to crowded...at least the times we've been there.  Not a fan of the BBQ lunch they serve and usually we arrive as early as possible and back on the ship by 1:30 for a lido lunch.   HMC is actually one of the highlight island stops for us.

Been on 4 HAL Caribbean cruises and only got to visit HMC once and it was very nice. The other 3 times the wind was blowing too hard and we couldn't anchor or tender in so we spent the day cruising in circles off of FLL. The provided BBQ lunch was nothing special and if I was there again I would tender back and eat on the ship.

You will love Aruba and Curacao, if I had to live on any Carb. Island it would be one of these two or the BVI.  If I never have to go back to Jamaica, I will be very happy.  You will love the cabin you are in too.

We've had Half Moon Cay as a port of call three times now...and missed it all three times!

Rough seas twice, the other time people on early tenders made it there...then it started to pour

the rain so they all came back again.  It looks beautiful and we're still hoping to actually get

there one day--just be aware that, since it is a tender port, it can be iffy at times.  In fact, there's

a specific note in the catalog for HMC... "weather permitting".  Enjoy your cruise!  We did this one

in January & had a great time!

HMC is HAL’ private island and the beaches and water are beautiful.  It is a perfect place for a beach day. 

They have some wonderful beach toys like water bikes, kayaks and so much more.  Don’t swim? Do a glass bottom boat tour.  All fun 

Edited by Mary229

On 4/28/2019 at 10:56 AM, sherrynny said:

I just took advantage of the $1 deposit of the Zuiderdam   Nov 29, 2020 Panama Canal Sunfarer cruise.  I was able to book an accessible cabin VA6049 and it has a bump out balcony, any have any experience with these cabins?

Any help would be appreciated.

I was exploring possible cruises last week and, after finding a great itinerary and a very good price, I discovered that cabin 8094, a bump out, was still available on the Zuiderdam.  I took that as a sign and I booked the cruise that night.  I think it'll be my 3rd time in that cabin and I love it! There's more interior space between the couch and the balcony door, and the balcony is larger, but the real selling point is the ability to look forward besides straight out.  (Just remember that your next door neighbor can see you when you're on the balcony.  Hasn't been a problem...)  

10 hours ago, detroit70 said:

I was exploring possible cruises last week and, after finding a great itinerary and a very good price, I discovered that cabin 8094, a bump out, was still available on the Zuiderdam.  I took that as a sign and I booked the cruise that night.  I think it'll be my 3rd time in that cabin and I love it! There's more interior space between the couch and the balcony door, and the balcony is larger, but the real selling point is the ability to look forward besides straight out.  (Just remember that your next door neighbor can see you when you're on the balcony.  Hasn't been a problem...)  

Love those bump out cabins as well - although you can get some noise from above (tile floors in parts of the Lido dining area).  Liked the easy access to the elevators/stairs also.

In Aruba, there is a great restaurant with a unique experience of serving your dinner while you lounge on a bed!  Check out The Screaming Eagle.  It is much more elegant than the name suggests!  A one of a kind experience and great food and service, too!

7 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Love those bump out cabins as well - although you can get some noise from above (tile floors in parts of the Lido dining area).  Liked the easy access to the elevators/stairs also.

Thanks for the info.