Need help on what shoes to bring

sarajean

Leaving on an Alaskan Cruise June 2, 2019, 7 days.  Staying in Seattle 3 nights prior to cruise.

Need help on what kind of shoes to bring for excursions.

When you are getting to the port by plane seems like you need a lot a different kinds of shoes.

Sneakers of course

Waterproof or Boots (but they are so bulky)

Maybe a sandal for dinner at night?

Flip flops.  I guess we won't be using the pool much

What did you bring?  Suggestions?

Any help is appreciated

• Like 1

It depends somewhat on what activities you are planning.  Most excursions and walking around town only require sneakers or comfortable walking shoes.  I take waterproof hiking shoes if I plan to hike at all, but boots are totally overkill unless you are doing really serious hiking. I do take sandals for dinner and flip flops for the pool.  Yes, I do use the pool sometimes, and the hot tub multiple times on every trip.

We just bring sneakers or walking shoes and make sure we douse them with silicone waterproof spray.  If you are buying new shoes, make sure they are well broken in before the cruise!  I bring dress flats for evenings. 

10 hours ago, sherryf said:

It depends somewhat on what activities you are planning.  Most excursions and walking around town only require sneakers or comfortable walking shoes.  I take waterproof hiking shoes if I plan to hike at all, but boots are totally overkill unless you are doing really serious hiking. I do take sandals for dinner and flip flops for the pool.  Yes, I do use the pool sometimes, and the hot tub multiple times on every trip.

THESE ARE THE EXCURSIONS WE ARE GOING ON:

TRACY ARM FJORD & GLACIER EXPLORER - 6 HOUR BOAT RIDE TO THE GLACIERS,  THEY SAY THIS ONE COULD BE COLD BUT NOT WALKING ON THE GLACIERS.  I imagine it could be a little chilly

White Pass Railway & Suspension Bridge – train ride and some walking around not really hiking, just was worried about rain.

ALASKA LODGE ADVENTURE & SEAFEAST – BOAT RIDE, WALK THROUGH THE WOODS (BUT UNDER IMPRESSION THERE ARE TRAILS) AND LUNCH.

So the only thing I possibly thought I would need some kind of waterproof shoe.

I take hiking-type sandals, a pair of lightweight boots (that happen to be waterproof but I didn't buy them for that,  I bought them for the great fit), and two pairs of dressier/less casual shoes.  I don't wear sneakers so can't comment on them at all.

***** NOTE *****  I strongly recommend that whatever shoes you take, you take along a pair or two of wool blend socks to help keep your feet warm when/if necessary.

20 hours ago, sarajean said:

Need help on what kind of shoes to bring for excursions.

[..]

Waterproof or Boots (but they are so bulky)

@sarajean thanks for starting this topic! 

I have been putting off this decision and feel exactly as you do above

I have a good pair of waterproof hiking over-ankle boots, but they take up SO much room in the suitcase.

Last year hiking Olympic National Park I really just wished I had my regular sneakers. 

However:

- it wasn't raining, even when we were in the Hoh rainforest (so beautiful !!) 

- I might appreciate these shoes more on slippery deck / boat surfaces

I don't know...

In every port, I wore regular socks and tennis shoes. We had some drizzly, cloudy, rainy weather in Juneau but not a downpour. I wore the same pair of dressy sandals to dinner in the MDR every night. I didn't have another option available to me, and didn't need it. I didn't think it made sense to buy hiking boots or shoes that I would never wear at home - and was traveling with my husband and 3 kids, so I especially didn't see buying 5 pairs of shoes that would never get worn again.

• Like 1

I take my waterproof Merrill sneakers.  We experienced a drizzly day also so not really a downpour.  For dinner on the ship, first trip I took some dressy sandals, but I felt like there weren't many sandals in the main dining room.  Second trip, I just wore my black flat Clarks to the dining room each night.  Socks and shoes felt better to me than the sandals for this particular trip.  Still needed my flip flops to get to the hot tub though.  Have fun on your trip! 

I run, so I like having trail running shoes.  Mine are water resistant, have good tread and are comfortable to walk around in.  Places like REI or your local running store can help you out with them.  I would suggest a local running store as most will let you try them on and walk on a treadmill and can see if they fit your gait and will be comfortable, and they will likely have first hand experience with how they work in wet conditions.

I'm having the same shoe struggle, and we leave in 2 1/2 weeks.  I have very temperamental feet, and very few shoes are comfortable. Most of my sneakers are mesh, so not weather friendly. We will not be doing hard core hiking on our excursions, but we will be walking, out in the elements. Everyday, I seem to change my mind as to what will work best and fit in my luggage.

These are the shoes my daughter and I both took last year on our 11 day land tour in Alaska.  We kayaked, hiked, visited Sealife Center, and general walking around Alaska and walking around Seattle on our overnight layover/stop.  We also flew Delta and are Skymiles members so only paid for one piece of luggage.  For our family of 4 we had 5 suitcases and one of those of just shoes, boots, jackets, hiking poles, etc.  

Tennis shoes - then Nike and now New Balance

Sanuk sandals

Sperry boots - The ones that look like LL Bean boots.  Very warm, keep feet dry and comfortable to walk in

Oboz Hiking Boots

and Hunter Rain boots.

For our Alaska cruise in a couple of weeks I am taking the same but dropping the Hunter Boots and taking a couple more sandals for dinners on the cruise.   

My sneakers are mesh too, it seems to be the trend lately. I just spray them with a waterproof spray which I bought in Skechers.  It has worked fine up to now.  I usually spray them every couple of months.

Most of your time will be spent on walkways that may have an occasional puddle for you to walk around (in port and hiking or on excursions). Much like a rainy day at home. We take tennis shoes for every day (like we wear at home every day) and flip flops for around the cabin, quick trips to the buffet for a snack, or on sea days around the ship. Whatever shoes you have that are comfortable should be just fine. 

Don’t over think this. Some people believe  they’re going on a jungle Safari and bring everything they have in their closets. Your not traveling to a third world country.

An umbrella,  a good pair of sneakers to walk in, and shoes for the dining room, and you’ll be fine.

• Like 2

We've been on a lot of Alaska cruises and we've seen just about everything on the ship from snow mobile boots to flip flops. We wear the shoes we wear everyday here in the Pacific Northwest. My wide wears a pair of these https://www.cabelas.com/product/footwear/womens-footwear/womens-hiking-boots-shoes/pc/104797980/c/104790780/sc/104383980/columbia-wmn-dakota-drifter-wp-low-hikers/2843772.uts?slotId=7 almost everyday just a pair of water proof walking/hikers or a pair of tennis shoes, when it's not raining. Everyone gets so stressed when they go on a cruise Alaska, they act like it's the end of the world. For a jacket we bring what we wear in November, a 3 season jacket, I've never bought a rain coat or an umbrella.

• Like 2

Having the same struggle, finally decided on water proof sneakers from LL Bean.  Then a pair of black flats for evening. Possibly an ankle boot for around the ship during the day. 

First cruise and 8 day DIY land tours coming up. Lots of outdoor activity planned mid May. Here is what I'm taking. I found a pair of Men's Redmond Mid Waterproof Hiking Shoe - wide by Columbia at Academy last year for under $100. I'm also taking a pair of 679767739_columbiahikingshoe.jpg.a99eb13c334503e71bb4dfbd9aceb0bc.jpgblack Skechers Sport Men's Energy 3-Punisher Sneakers. Previously called Sport Trail wide. These can be worn to dinner. Add to that a pair of moccasins for on the balcony or around the ship.

700772862_SketchersSportTrail.jpg.ce03609a4c807a02fc0961e478ac3e20.jpg

UGG Moccasins.jpg

9 hours ago, masterdrago said:

First cruise and 8 day DIY land tours coming up. Lots of outdoor activity planned mid May. Here is what I'm taking. I found a pair of Men's Redmond Mid Waterproof Hiking Shoe - wide by Columbia at Academy last year for under $100. I'm also taking a pair of 679767739_columbiahikingshoe.jpg.a99eb13c334503e71bb4dfbd9aceb0bc.jpgblack Skechers Sport Men's Energy 3-Punisher Sneakers. Previously called Sport Trail wide. These can be worn to dinner. Add to that a pair of moccasins for on the balcony or around the ship.

700772862_SketchersSportTrail.jpg.ce03609a4c807a02fc0961e478ac3e20.jpg

UGG Moccasins.jpg

Unless your planning on hiking in the forests, up and down muddy hills and such, then fine, buy the hiking shoes. But if your taking tours, or simply touring on your own by walking around the towns, a simple pair of runners will get you to where you want to go. 

If a pair of dress shoes are alive and well in your closet, that may be a better choice for dinner in the dining room, than the sketchers in the picture. Just saying. My wife would have my head if I wore runners to the dining room.....lol lol lol

Edited by rick160158
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Going in late July and it'll be my first trip to Alaska. I'm planning on bringing a pair of water resistant, light weight trail shoes which I ordered from Costco last night. A pair of flats for dinner on the ship or general walking around the ship. I'll be wearing a pair of sturdy flip flops on the flight to Seattle and wear in the cabin and even around the general areas of the ship if it's not too cold on the decks.

I have not planned to do any trails or hiking, so this should be sufficient to get around on mild excursions and town. If anything, the short trail to the waterfall at Mendenhall glacier but I don't expect that to anything a regular pair of sneakers/athletic shoes couldn't handle.