Trip insurance thru RC

Cant say enough for getting trip insurance.  Slipped  and fell on my March 30  Symphony  cruise going thru the solarium door to exchange towels.  I broke my right femur.  When they were picking me up, some lady said that I was the third person to fall that morning. It had just rained Can't say enough about  RC service,.so far . It was day 5. formal night.  I had to lay down flat down on deck 2, they x- rayed it. doctor and nurses were fantastic.. The even brought lobster for supper.  Had to wait there till we reached the Bahamas.  They had an ambulance waiting when we were cleared to leave.  I seen passage ways on deck two that most people never seen.  I got  to see the Bahamas thru the back of the ambulance with   cars splitting . and six cruise ships in the background. Flew to Ft lauderdale hospital where thy operated on me.  $13,000 for ride in lear jet, for me and my wife.  0ne week in hospital . They arranged every thing , flew us back to Pa, with a nurse.  to rehab. Otherwise Symphony is a great ship, fantastic entertainment and food.  This was probably our 16th cruise, 7 with RC.  Moral of story, DON'T GAMBLE. GET INSURANCE.

• Like 7

I always get insurance. I buy it a couple days after my deposit so I can get the cancel for any reason policy in case something comes up - but I also get it for situations like this! I get paranoid that something will happen and I need to get flown back.

Hope your recovery is coming along well and you're back to normal soon!

Question??

First, I always recommend some kind of Travel Insurance also.

My question is this,,, what kind of paperwork have you had to submit to get reimbursed for all this?

Is it possible that Royal picked up the entire tab on this due to you falling on their slick deck.

At hte end of the day, either way,, glad to hear you're doing fine.

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

Question??

My question is this,,, what kind of paperwork have you had to submit to get reimbursed for all this?

Is it possible that Royal picked up the entire tab on this due to you falling on their slick deck.

i did get paperwork from oncall insurance. for all incidentals.  My wife had to pay for  her plane ticket, $500 but we will get reimbursed. this will be ongoing.  Oddly I have'nt received my how did you like the cruise form yet.  RC probably has it flagged.

I would not rely entirely on Royals insurance for medical or evacuation coverage due to their very low coverage limits.  $10,000 medical and $25,000 evac does not go very far.  

It’s great though for the trip cancellation and cancel for any reason coverages. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I would not rely entirely on Royals insurance for medical or evacuation coverage due to their very low coverage limits.  $10,000 medical and $25,000 evac does not go very far.  

It’s great though for the trip cancellation and cancel for any reason coverages. 

That insurance only covers travel and evacuation.  My medical insurance covered the operation and hospital.  i remember hearing the person in the hospital talking on the phone I had used $13000 from the Bahamas to Ft Lauderdal.

25 minutes ago, pepperfeet said:

That insurance only covers travel and evacuation.  My medical insurance covered the operation and hospital.  i remember hearing the person in the hospital talking on the phone I had used $13000 from the Bahamas to Ft Lauderdal.

As far as I know Royal only sells one insurance policy and it includes the limited medical and evacuation coverage. 

17 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Question??

My experience with the insurance is, for major things, if you contact them, they will work many things out and pay directly.  Any other charges that you pay, you submit a copy of the bill and any paperwork from the doctor/clinic/hospital and they pay it.

16 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

For some people, the cost is MUCH less.  For my parents, the difference was THOUSANDS.

On thing to think about, you may not need to cover the cruise fare.  And you can save a lot on insurance.

By the time we get close, the cruise fare has been paid.  If I have to cancel, I will be upset, but it would not be a financial crisis.

But medical or evacuation could be a financial problem.

So I insure for a $0 cruise cost.  It normally costs me $32 to do this.   Last cruise, this saved me over $500 in insurance costs.   A few cruises, and I am ahead even if I cancel.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SRF said:

For some people, the cost is MUCH less.  For my parents, the difference was THOUSANDS.

No doubt but travelling without adequate medical coverage would certainly not be something I would be comfortable with regardless of the short term savings. 

7 hours ago, SRF said:

On thing to think about, you may not need to cover the cruise fare.  And you can save a lot on insurance.

By the time we get close, the cruise fare has been paid.  If I have to cancel, I will be upset, but it would not be a financial crisis.

But medical or evacuation could be a financial problem.

So I insure for a $0 cruise cost.  It normally costs me $32 to do this.   Last cruise, this saved me over $500 in insurance costs.   A few cruises, and I am ahead even if I cancel.

I did not now you can do that.  My cost was $159 for Central Park balcony. as it turned out, well worth it.

On 5/1/2019 at 2:55 AM, pepperfeet said:

I did not now you can do that.  My cost was $159 for Central Park balcony. as it turned out, well worth it.

I was quoting numbers for 3rd party insurance, not through RCI.   And I don't think you can do $0 through RCI, but you can through SOME 3rd party insurance providers.

I go through Travel Insured, but through a special portal from USAA.  And yes, I have actually talked to them about it and they support doing this.

1 hour ago, SRF said:

I was quoting numbers for 3rd party insurance, not through RCI.   And I don't think you can do $0 through RCI, but you can through SOME 3rd party insurance providers.

I go through Travel Insured, but through a special portal from USAA.  And yes, I have actually talked to them about it and they support doing this.

So if you insure for $0 cruise cost they cover you for medical and evacuation only? Is that cheaper than buying a medical only plan?

On 4/29/2019 at 6:19 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

THIS.  Note that OP used a lot of her coverage for a broken leg.   Imagine if it were something more critical, involving expensive drugs or life support, or if two family members were affected.  I buy my trip insurance from one of the big companies and target $250K medical and $1M evacuation - these are common for those policies, and the cost is only $20-50 more than the cruise line insurance.

30 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

THIS.  Note that OP used a lot of her coverage for a broken leg.   Imagine if it were something more critical, involving expensive drugs or life support, or if two family members were affected.  I buy my trip insurance from one of the big companies and target $250K medical and $1M evacuation - these are common for those policies, and the cost is only $20-50 more than the cruise line insurance.

Not always true as 3rd party cost depends on age.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, FLACRUISER99 said:

Not always true as 3rd party cost depends on age.

Well we are in our late 50s so you can use that as the comparable.  The bigger variables are the coverage limits you choose, and if you want "cancel for any reason" which is often discussed here but very costly. I don't do that. I had to shop policies to find better coverage for a lower cost but it worked out well.

39 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Well we are in our late 50s so you can use that as the comparable.  The bigger variables are the coverage limits you choose, and if you want "cancel for any reason" which is often discussed here but very costly. I don't do that. I had to shop policies to find better coverage for a lower cost but it worked out well.

Yes everyones need are different, try pricing out with 20 years added to your age.

21 hours ago, marci22 said:

So if you insure for $0 cruise cost they cover you for medical and evacuation only? Is that cheaper than buying a medical only plan?

$32 for so far, up to a 3 week trip.  I am happy with that.

It actually covers the trip delay, lost luggage, and everything else that it covered EXCEPT the cruise fare and, I think, Trip Interruption (which is based on cruise fare).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, FLACRUISER99 said:

Yes everyones need are different, try pricing out with 20 years added to your age.

Or 30 years added, as I stated, when I tried to insure my parents, at 87 years old, 3rd party, covering the cruise fare, was VERY expensive.  IIRC, about half the price of the cruise.

Edited by SRF