Packing tips for Alaska

ErLee

17 hours ago, LadyMac72 said:

Too much? The plan is to get everything into one suitcase....

Too much? For me, much too little, lol. Unfortunately, I'm a chronic overpacker! You also need a swimsuit with a coverup(believe me you'll be sorry if you don't bring it). Also more clothes for evening. Maybe a black skirt with a couple of interchangeable tops?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

What are you wearing to dinner the other nights?  

Two of our port days are long enough that we will probably get dinner off the ship.

For other days, I have my black pants and a jewel colored tunic.  Black flats.

57 minutes ago, LadyMac72 said:

Two of our port days are long enough that we will probably get dinner off the ship.

For other days, I have my black pants and a jewel colored tunic.  Black flats.

Depending how much you dress up (or down), you may not need any special clothes for most evenings. I often change into clean clothes for dinner, but they're usually what I plan to wear for the next day's excursion.

Do you anticipate wearing both fleece items at the same time? It might be cold enough that you would want to, if that's possible, but fleece is bulky to pack -- it doesn't compress much, if any -- and if you wouldn't wear both at once, one or the other might be sufficient. A great advantage to fleece is that, if it gets wet, it dries quickly, but my choice for packing light is a down-alternative vest that packs smaller.

Are the shoes you would wear off ship waterproof? For a non-cruise trip to Alaska this year, I'm taking a pair of low Merrill hikers. Because they're bulkier than regular shoes and I want to use only carry-on luggage, I'll have to wear them on the flights.

I skipped pages 2-5... Agree about the binoculars. Don’t poo-poo the warm clothes aspect.  Temps off the water can be cold.  As can ship interiors.  And the reverse - it may be hot.

Always to places north in the summer - a clothes clip to insure no gap in closed curtains; that 4:30 am sunrise is too bright.

Have a great trip.

• 2 weeks later...

I am planning on going mid-June 2023. I was going to bring my Columbia rain jacket and then a fleece jacket as a second layer. Would this suffice vs. a puffer jacket? This was I could use the fleece (which made it on my October 2014 Breakway from NYC) interchangeably? I am still going to bring my winter hat/touch screen gloves just in case. 

Probably less summer things even though I will have 2-3 days in seattle before hand.

2 hours ago, HowardK said:

I am planning on going mid-June 2023. I was going to bring my Columbia rain jacket and then a fleece jacket as a second layer. Would this suffice vs. a puffer jacket? This was I could use the fleece (which made it on my October 2014 Breakway from NYC) interchangeably? I am still going to bring my winter hat/touch screen gloves just in case. 

Probably less summer things even though I will have 2-3 days in seattle before hand.

A rain proof (not water resistant) rain jacket and fleece jacket as an inner layer sounds adequate to me.  If you own a fleece vest consider packing that too.  A vest doesn't require much packing space and adds flexibility.

• 2 months later...
On 6/12/2021 at 3:13 PM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

What are you wearing to dinner the other nights?  

We've been on 27 cruises.  We took a Princess ship to Alaska and it was the most casual dining I've ever seen.  Lot's of sweatshirts.  I'd brought all my dress up clothes and gave up half way through and joined the sweatshirt crowd 🙂

On 6/14/2021 at 9:24 PM, relmondcrsise said:

This packing guide has some really useful tips.  It includes a section on clothing specifically for men, which is hard to find anywhere.  It's also one of the funniest cruise guides I've ever read.  Go to the part about the insulated coffee mug for a good laugh.  

Packing Guide for Alaska Cruise

That is the funniest packing list I’ve ever seen.  Laughs aside, its a good list.  But I’ll give up my spot at the rail to make a trip to the head. 🤣🤣 One thermal mug for me, for coffee.