5-star Mariner Cooking Class??

Primus

Even before ATK, HAL had moved the hands on classes to port days because the prep, class and subsequent clean up took too much time on a sea day, limiting use of the venue for other events.  

Never heard of the "safety issue" reason before.

On 4/30/2019 at 9:07 AM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I may be the only person who isn't fond of ATK, but I liked the classes and demos better before ATK. 

You are not the only person who is not fond of ATK, both on the ship and on TV.  I am turned off by their attitude that their methods are the only methods to even consider.  I have not made it through a complete demonstration on board.

We only signed up for one cooking class, on a port day on B2B2B2B Alaska cruises and did not really need to go ashore in Juneau again.  There was a mix-up, so we were not on the list of attendees.  When the ATK host saw us she was very rude and said we were at a cooking class, not a demonstration.  When we said we knew, she snapped that we were not on her list.  After much back and forth about how she would have to take time to set up two more places as it was a hands on class, we just said forget it.  BTW there was only one person taking the class.  The host took us to the Front Desk, where we learned they had no record of our reservation, even though I called them and said we'd be there.  Needless to say, I am even less fond of ATK now, and I reported the host's rudeness on my survey.

Later, someone sent us two ATK aprons, which I gave to my son-in-law's mother.  She is a big ATK fan.

On 4/30/2019 at 8:41 AM, BJzink said:

The cooking classes were a lot more interesting & fun when HAL was associated with "Wine & Food" magazine.

I also agree that the cooking classes were a lot more interesting before ATK, and have said that in my on board survey.  We had some good cooking classes followed by lunch in the Pinnacle Grill.  The chef had prepared a meal with the same dishes we cooked.  One was so much fun that we stayed and talked until the staff started blinking the lights as a hint it was time to leave..

As you can figure out, I am definitely NOT a fan of the ATK outfit.  I will not attend their demos which seem to be geared to a novice cook.  One of the first classes I attended, the cook said that you could "be brave & add a bay leaf for a bit of flavor change"!  I asked about adapting the recipe for high altitude - she made an expasterated face & replied "just make the changes you usually make".  

I am also put off by their constant endorsement of the most expensive kitchen utensils.  I'm sure my criticism will not have an affect on HAL's use of them, but I feel better to learn I'm not alone in this.

6 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

Yes.   Unfortunately only on port days. 

3 hours ago, idiebabe said:

That's been my experience as well!  Only offered on Port days when we're off the Ship!

That wasn’t our experience last cruise on the Prinsendam nor on the old previous hands on class (pre ATK)

This one on this cruise was a port day and at such a time that no one would be there unless they didn’t want to get off the ship,

the 5* benefit for this is now meaningless IMO.  

I far preferred the old one where I did learn something and the nice lunch in the PG.  ATK doesn’t teach me anything sadly 😞

I did an ATK hands-on class in February on Nieuw Amsterdam.  We signed up through the Neptune Lounge concierge and had to wait to see if there were spots for us because it was reserved for 5-Star Mariners first.  I only knew to ask about the possibility from Cruise Critic postings.

The class (on a port day) was on cake decorating, which I've never done and really enjoyed.  The cakes were pre-baked for us so the class was more about leveling, frosting, and decorating with tips on baking thrown in (along with recipes for everything).  Of course it was designed for beginners.  I don't think they'd ever offer anything that required a prerequisite level of skill without it being a specialty cruise.  The show is for home cooks after all.  We had a very fun time.  I think there were four others in the class with us, but only two were 5-Star Mariners.  One lady came in just to get the aprons but didn't stay for the class, which I thought was a little odd.  The instructor said the egg class was actually one of the most interesting to her because it covered several topics.

A HAL chef dropped off a cake for us to eat.  They do not allow anyone to eat anything prepped during the class or the show because it is not a commercial kitchen.  This is a food safety regulation.  The supplies the instructors use come from the HAL kitchens so they're at HAL's mercy.  Ours had a few substitutions made during her demos, like she was given spaghetti to use in place of rice noodles for a Thai dish.  There was also a substitution made for the icing we were using.  I don't even remember what it was but remember thinking it would have made the icing taste awful.  It was fine for demo purposes.  The cake the HAL chef brought to us wasn't very good (not even the recipe that we used). 

As far as the demonstrations go, they rolled out several new classes for 2019 per an article I saw around the beginning of the year.  The list of courses as well as the recipe cards are on America's Test Kitchen site.  I know I sound like I work for them, but I don't.  I do enjoy the show and find their techniques worthwhile because they're so thoroughly tested, so it was fun to see this partnership on a HAL ship.

Edited by bEwAbG
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/30/2019 at 12:02 PM, BJzink said:

I should give credit to the EXC cruises on Maasdam.  There were guest chefs who gave demos and emphasized the culture of food in the areas we traveled.  Much more interesting dishes created - which were duplicated in the kitchen & samples served at the "Sip & Savor" events.  

BJzink,

I understand that a cooking class is being held on the current Alaska sailing of the Maasdam. Can you tell me what they charge to take this class if not a five star?

We've been invited to 5 classes, took only 2 because they are always on port days. 

Quality red aprons, yes!  Volendam and Rotterdam both do a great job of this.  That said, I liked the Pinnacle lunch provided by the former classes. :)

The class on eggs was very informative. Now my hardboiled eggs are steamed and it works a lot better, so I learned something. The pasta class was good, too.  Both chefs were personable, interesting.  We were the only ones in the classes so they were very relaxed and we learned a lot about the chef's backgrounds.

Edited by SilvertoGold

I've done the pre ATK hands on cooking classes which I always enjoyed and both the ATK 5* demos and hands on classes.  The old Culinary Arts Center hands on classes were lots of fun and usually included some wine plus lunch in the Pinnacle Grill.  I had a hands on pie crust ATK class on the Maasdam last summer and I don't recall whether it was a sea day or port day.  I also attended a 5* ATK demo on the 2018 Grand Asia which had far too many 5* Mariners to offer hands on classes.  The problem with ATK, especially on long cruises, is that they have limited offerings and end up repeating programs on new segments.  I prefer the old Culinary Arts Center programs and hands on classes which were more flexible and original in their dishes.