Scenic Eclipse News

Goorawin another who would very much like your reports to continue.Yours may be bad news but definitely not negative news-just the truth.

Carol this is still a positive thread because what we are getting is first hand experience from passengers on board.I know that you really meant the naysayers on the other eclipse thread.Even though we cancelled I never had the same negative views that were there.Was always confident that the Eclipse would finally get to cruise.

However thanks to Goorawin we are happy we made the right decision cancelling.So Goorawin I probably owe you a drink when you get to Quebec.

6 hours ago, drron29 said:

Goorawin another who would very much like your reports to continue.Yours may be bad news but definitely not negative news-just the truth.

Carol this is still a positive thread because what we are getting is first hand experience from passengers on board.I know that you really meant the naysayers on the other eclipse thread.Even though we cancelled I never had the same negative views that were there.Was always confident that the Eclipse would finally get to cruise.

However thanks to Goorawin we are happy we made the right decision cancelling.So Goorawin I probably owe you a drink when you get to Quebec.

Yes this is a positive thread and I also always thought the Eclipse would sail. I am booked on her next July (Arctic). I in no way meant my response to be negative towards any poster and always encourage everyone to share the good with the bad.  Goorawin, I hope you are having a wonderful cruise and as others have said I hope you will continue to share your experiences with us all.

Hi I just found this thread as I couldn’t find where the Scenic posts were on this board.  I’m very interested in sailing the Eclipse in the future and surprised at these reports because there’s a video on another site that was taken on 8/15 (public areas only) and it all looks just gorgeous! But I guess there’s a reason those making the video weren’t allowed in the staterooms! Please keep posting, especially photos, we appreciate it.  Usually Maiden voyages have their issues (although we were on the maiden voyage last year of Azamara Pursuit and the ship was spotless and gorgeous when we embarked with only a few minor issues like missing cushions for the pool loungers).  But this sounds like a whole other level of “not ready for guests.”

On 8/17/2019 at 10:36 AM, goorawin said:

They did mention a refund for the day at the time but so far nothing has been done. They did provide a very good day tour which included an excellent lunch. The cost for them for the days delay would have been huge.

Hello Goorawin,

We miss your postings but I am hopeful that you might, as a courtesy, reply to this message from my wife and me.  We are set to board on September 10 in NYC.  We are wondering, what is the ambient temperature in the public areas of the ship?  We have been on some lines where they keep the temperature above 75 which means it is short sleeved attire inside.  But we have also been on some lines where the temperature is much cooler, like 70.  Since we have to pack carefully, it sure would be helpful if you could let us know.  We do not need precise temperatures, but just a sense from you of whether during the days inside the ship in the lounges and dining venues, we would need long sleeved items or if we could get by with short sleeves and a sweater.  Thank you in advance for any reply you might share.  We miss your postings...very much indeed and hope to one day meet you and be able to sail with you.

Hi, the reason I didn’t give the link is I thought that was against cruise critic rules (directing to another site) however the video by the previous poster is the correct website but not the video I saw...go to the site, search Scenic Eclipse Maiden Voyage and it should come up — it was taken and posted 8/15 by a luxury travel company.  

Thank you all for your feedback. Carol you nearly lost me with those comments, which I certainly felt were directed at my negative comments.

So I will do another post.

I have limited all my previous comments to what I was able to asses reasonable quickly. As well these were only based on the ships design, that being of an expedition vessel.

We have been very lucky and have sailed on many different expedition ships throughout the world, including Ponant and Silverseas and others, so my assessment is only based on that experience. We do not like big ships and don’t travel for entertainment or food particularly but prefer to see the more remote locations and nature around the world, but of course in reasonable comfort.

Having said that, I am now able to say after spending more than three days on Eclipse and in varying conditions, that this ship is brilliant for doing that sort of cruising. As I have already said, it’s smooth and very quiet which is great.

It manoeuvres extremely well and with it’s dynamic positioning system which not only speeds up positioning of the ship but also keeps it stable in orientation. This is really ideal for expedition cruising and the other big advantage is, it does not waste time dropping anchors, a really great system.

On board everything is starting to settle down now, with staff under much less pressure and by the look of them starting to get some good nights sleep. Generally they are a very happy bunch and are easy to get along with, while still bending over backwards to help make our experience better. They just need more time to learn to work really smoothly together as a team, but then that is to be expected on such a new ship full of automation everywhere. Maybe it‘s an example of automation overload, with everyone trying to get a handle on it.

The ship is still being fitted out and some cabins are still having issues such as hot water that only available sometimes, so you have to have a shower when there's hot water. Most passengers are now just accepting the fact that they will get it fixed ASAP and just enjoy the rest on the experience on board.

The drink selection is a lot less than we were under the impression Scenic were going to provide, while savouries at happy hour or any other hour for that matter, are almost non existent, which is unusual for a cruise ship.

However food is generally very good with the best selection at lunch, in the Yacht Club (buffet). Unfortunately seating is limited there, as it is in all restaurants, which may mean sometimes waiting for lunch .

Last night we dined in Koko’s Teppanyki, which only seats 8 but the meal was fantastic. Because of its quality it is booked out for the remainder of this cruise, so again be quick.

Seating could at times, also be an issue in the theatre which is disappointing for an expedition ship.

The expedition team although small in number, are actually doing a pretty good job with few dramas and all are interesting and easy to talk to. There have been a number of enrichment lectures and culinary programs

The 6 seat helicopters are also very smooth and quite, and great for getting a different perspective of the area, but bear in mind they are popular and book out very quickly.

The submarine is another excellent experience, unfortunately when we did our dive down to 100 meters, visibility was very limited because of the glacial water. Never the less we did see some small marine life which was colourful and interesting at that depth.

Again this activity is very popular so booking as soon as possible is the go.

The Pilots for both the helicopters and submarine are very competent which makes the experience that much better.

So all in all most things are staring to look up, mind you the design faults, some of which I have already mentioned, are not going to be fixed anytime soon, so passenger are just going to have to live with those and hopefully no one get injured.

The ship is now leaving Greenland and heading to Canada.

Pool.jpg

Ship.jpg

Sub.jpg

Greenland.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your detailed comments and pics.  We appreciate reading your perspective on the Eclipse as we will be sailing on her next May in the Med.  Hopefully most issues will be resolved soon,  enjoy the rest of your trip,  Geri and Terry

29 minutes ago, goorawin said:

Thank you all for your feedback. ...So I will do another post.

@goorawin, thank you for returning and reporting more on your experience, plus the beautiful photos! We are all hungry for any morsel of info and you taking the time out of your vacation to provide your insights is so generous.

I'm curious, was it ever explained why they proceeded with boarding of the ship in the first place on Day 1 when it was so clearly not ready for guests? 

Nevertheless, it sounds as if things have improved significantly and I'm delighted to hear that the experience is so enjoyable!

Would love to see a photo of your suite in its "finished" state if you're able to post some. Also curious if they keep Yacht Club open in the evening for a dinner buffet?

Edited by towel-animal

30 minutes ago, goorawin said:

Thank you all for your feedback. Carol you nearly lost me with those comments, which I certainly felt were directed at my negative comments.

So I will do another post.

I have limited all my previous comments to what I was able to asses reasonable quickly. As well these were only based on the ships design, that being of an expedition vessel.

We have been very lucky and have sailed on many different expedition ships throughout the world, including Ponant and Silverseas and others, so my assessment is only based on that experience. We do not like big ships and don’t travel for entertainment or food particularly but prefer to see the more remote locations and nature around the world, but of course in reasonable comfort.

Having said that, I am now able to say after spending more than three days on Eclipse and in varying conditions, that this ship is brilliant for doing that sort of cruising. As I have already said, it’s smooth and very quiet which is great.

It manoeuvres extremely well and with it’s dynamic positioning system which not only speeds up positioning of the ship but also keeps it stable in orientation. This is really ideal for expedition cruising and the other big advantage is, it does not waste time dropping anchors, a really great system.

On board everything is starting to settle down now, with staff under much less pressure and by the look of them starting to get some good nights sleep. Generally they are a very happy bunch and are easy to get along with, while still bending over backwards to help make our experience better. They just need more time to learn to work really smoothly together as a team, but then that is to be expected on such a new ship full of automation everywhere. Maybe it‘s an example of automation overload, with everyone trying to get a handle on it.

The ship is still being fitted out and some cabins are still having issues such as hot water that only available sometimes, so you have to have a shower when there's hot water. Most passengers are now just accepting the fact that they will get it fixed ASAP and just enjoy the rest on the experience on board.

The drink selection is a lot less than we were under the impression Scenic were going to provide, while savouries at happy hour or any other hour for that matter, are almost non existent, which is unusual for a cruise ship.

However food is generally very good with the best selection at lunch, in the Yacht Club (buffet). Unfortunately seating is limited there, as it is in all restaurants, which may mean sometimes imageproxy.php?img=&key=6ee4bfcebcfde1cbimageproxy.php?img=&key=6ee4bfcebcfde1cbimageproxy.php?img=&key=6ee4bfcebcfde1cbwaiting for lunch .

Last night we dined in Koko’s Teppanyki, which only seats 8 but the meal was fantastic. Because of its quality it is booked out for the remainder of this cruise, so again be quick.

Seating could at times, also be an issue in the theatre which is disappointing for an expedition ship.

The expedition team although small in number, are actually doing a pretty good job with few dramas and all are interesting and easy to talk to. There have been a number of enrichment lectures and culinary programs

The 6 seat helicopters are also very smooth and quite, and great for getting a different perspective of the area, but bear in mind they are popular and book out very quickly.

The submarine is another excellent experience, unfortunately when we did our dive down to 100 meters, visibility was very limited because of the glacial water. Never the less we did see some small marine life which was colourful and interesting at that depth.

Again this activity is very popular so booking as soon as possible is the go.

The Pilots for both the helicopters and submarine are very competent which makes the experience that much better.

So all in all most things are staring to look up, mind you the design faults, some of which I have already mentioned, are not going to be fixed anytime soon, so passenger are just going to have to live with those and hopefully no one get injured.

The ship is now leaving Greenland and heading to Canada.

Pool.jpg

Ship.jpg

Sub.jpg

Greenland.jpg

Thank you for sharing more about your experience on the Eclipse and for sharing your photos! It all sounds amazing and I'm very much looking forward to sailing on her next July. I too have cruised on other expedition ships. Last year we went to Antarctica on the Silversea Cloud. I especially liked hearing about your experiences on the submarine and helicopter. I happened to be in Reykjavik on the day you embarked on your cruise, which was a funny coincidence.  

Thanks again and enjoy the rest of your cruise! 

Thank you so much for the useful insights Goorawin.  I shall certainly benefit from  much of your advice when we board in October for Miami to Lima. 

If I still have a concern it is about the layout of the Spa Suites.  The only pics I’ve seen show totally open plan with no privacy between the bathroom and bedroom.  We’re reasonably open minded but this would seem a little candid.  I know we are all begging you for information so please, after all you’ve been through, feel free to ignore this and enjoy the rest of your cruise.  Thanks for being so unselfish and generous in your posting.

Thanks for coming back goorawin.  Continuing coincidences:  I'm posting this from Reykjavik, where we arrived yesterday for a Ponant cruise.  And walking around the old port today, we saw one of the Windstar (ex-Seabourn) triplets – which we will be sailing next year [in 1.5 form after the expansion].  Really glad to hear that things are settling down and that this ship will - in general - be everything we had hoped.  When your trip is complete, I would really like your comparison of Eclipse to Ponant.

2 hours ago, Holy Roller said:

Thank you so much for the useful insights Goorawin.  I shall certainly benefit from  much of your advice when we board in October for Miami to Lima. 

If I still have a concern it is about the layout of the Spa Suites.  The only pics I’ve seen show totally open plan with no privacy between the bathroom and bedroom.  We’re reasonably open minded but this would seem a little candid.  I know we are all begging you for information so please, after all you’ve been through, feel free to ignore this and enjoy the rest of your cruise.  Thanks for being so unselfish and generous in your posting.

Last Thursday was the 50th anniversary of Woodstock.  Let it all hang out, baby!  [Of course, at my age a lot more hangs out than it used to! :classic_laugh:]

7 hours ago, Holy Roller said:

Hi Holy Roller,

If  you check on YouTube for the latest videos from scenic concerning the scenic eclipse they have a 42nd and a one minute and 40 second sizzle clip showing off the various places around the ship. In regard to the issue of privacy between the bathroom and the bedroom, it appears from the sizzle reel on these two clips that when the light is turned on in the bathroom the glass wall becomes opaque  which is something we have seen in various restrooms in high-end restaurants around the world. You have to be watching very carefully to see it but they actually show the wall of glass turning white from inside the bathroom when the light is switched on. Take a look for yourself and for the rest of the folks out there reading all of the posts on this thread take a look at the new YouTube videos Just posted today for new pictures and new angles of some of the spots previously seen and different views of the living accommodations.

Thanks RockyandMoose for the pointer to the videos.  Exactly as I’d wished but didn’t dare hope for.  Photochromic glass certainly isn’t the cheapest option so we can assume that Scenic have used similar standards throughout the ship.  I’m now getting excited.  Does anyone know which champagnes they offer?

Thanks again to Goorawin and all contributors who have been so helpful.  

15 hours ago, towel-animal said:

@goorawin, thank you for returning and reporting more on your experience, plus the beautiful photos! We are all hungry for any morsel of info and you taking the time out of your vacation to provide your insights is so generous.

I'm curious, was it ever explained why they proceeded with boarding of the ship in the first place on Day 1 when it was so clearly not ready for guests? 

Nevertheless, it sounds as if things have improved significantly and I'm delighted to hear that the experience is so enjoyable!

Would love to see a photo of your suite in its "finished" state if you're able to post some. Also curious if they keep Yacht Club open in the evening for a dinner buffet?

Completed cabin. The bed is very comfortable and is able to be tilted which is a nice touch.

No, the Yacht Club is not open for dinner, which I and many other believe it should be for this type of cruising. So no buffet options for dinner.

Cabin completed.jpg

Edited by goorawin

14 hours ago, Holy Roller said:

We have only seen into a number of different cabins and all those have a separate bathroom and toilet and no see-through glass.

Thank you so much for posting more photos. The cabin looks very nice! Is that the lowest cabin category?  That is what we booked and it looks like it might be that category. The reception area looks very nice! In your post #161 it looks like there are three photos that did not come through....at least I am not able to view them. 

Hope you continue to enjoy your cruise! 😁

7 hours ago, goorawin said:

No, the Yacht Club is not open for dinner, which I and many other believe it should be for this type of cruising. So no buffet options for dinner.

I agree that for expedition style cruising, one may not wish to dress up or have a formal type dinner after a tiring excursion. Perhaps if people leave enough feedback onboard, they'll considering opening Yacht Club for dinner.

Also curious if you've taken advantage of Room Service yet and how that experience went? If you have any time to post a photo of the menu, that would be fantastic. 

Thank you again for your continued reporting! 

Hi Goorawin,

just a couple of questions please;

you mentioned that that there weren’t any printed menus, but they’re shown on your tv screen, so what happens when you go to the restaurant? Are you meant to of memorized it?

is your room key a card that is linked to your ID card, do you wear this on a lanyard?

what are the tours like at each port, are there many to choose from?  

You mentioned that the drinks weren’t up to what you were expecting, why? Are you only offered a select wine each night etc?

I’m really hoping things have settled down for you and you are now experiencing a more relaxed ship. 

On 8/22/2019 at 4:23 AM, towel-animal said:

I agree that for expedition style cruising, one may not wish to dress up or have a formal type dinner after a tiring excursion. Perhaps if people leave enough feedback onboard, they'll considering opening Yacht Club for dinner.

Also curious if you've taken advantage of Room Service yet and how that experience went? If you have any time to post a photo of the menu, that would be fantastic. 

Thank you again for your continued reporting! 

The dress code is very informal, certainly not as formal as the Silver Cloud which we were on about three months ago.

The Butler service has been very good, mind you, on the Cloud we had a Butler that was unbelievably good, one you would die for. 

Thankyou Goorawin for your feedback. Our Antarctica cruise was cancelled and we did not rebook due to the new price being dearer than our original cancelled booking. 

It is good that the Eclipse is finally sailing. Can you tell me if the forward view from the observation lounge inside, is good, as it seemed like the height of the bow would hinder the outlook? Can you enjoy the view without having to stand up? 

As others have said, we really appreciate the time you have spent reviewing and reporting everything, thanks again. 

Edited by smoothCs4us

On 8/22/2019 at 12:12 AM, Carol From California said:

Thank you so much for posting more photos. The cabin looks very nice! Is that the lowest cabin category?  That is what we booked and it looks like it might be that category. The reception area looks very nice! In your post #161 it looks like there are three photos that did not come through....at least I am not able to view them. 

Hope you continue to enjoy your cruise! 😁

Our cabin is mid-ship on deck 6 and I think is a standard cabin. It has a nice amount of room but cupboard space is a bit limited and with the doors open into the passage makes it impossible to get in or out of the bathroom with them open. Also one of the three cupboards is totally useless as its only about 5 to 6 inches deep. We have been in a cabin on deck 8 with a four poster bed which has more space but still not a very good design.

cupboard door.jpg

Third cupboard.jpg