Scenic Eclipse News

5 minutes ago, smoothCs4us said:

Thankyou Goorawin for your feedback. Our Antarctica cruise was cancelled and we did not rebook due to the new price being dearer than our original cancelled booking. 

It is good that the Eclipse is finally sailing. Can you tell me if the forward view from the observation lounge inside, is good, as it seemed like the height of the bow would hinder the outlook? Can you enjoy the view without having to stand up? 

As others have said, we really appreciate the time you have spent reviewing and reporting everything, thanks again. 

That is a big issue you cannot see forward for the lounge. There have been many complaints about the lack of vision. That is also a big issue on the Silver Cloud, even though they do have a lounge that you can see forward, you have to go outside to get to it, another poor design. 

When Scenic first announced that they were building a cruise ship, we made a booking which was later cancelled due to the construction delays. 

As soon as the first plans were issued and also prior to the build,  we raised the question as to the  forward visibility because it looked then that this would be an issue. 

We raised this both in Scenic information sessions and also by email directly to Scenic. 

The replies were always that it would not be a problem.  

Amazing to have no actual observation lounge. 

• Haha 1

On the issue of viewing wildlife and nature from both inside and out. I think Ponant ships have set the standard.  Even having only one location for lifts and stairs does not allow easy and quick access to the outside to view wildlife. Its just pity Scenic did not use that as a base when designing the Eclipse.

Overall the food quality has been very good and probably on average better than Silverseas. However there are small areas where it is below par, for instance cheese selection is not good while sandwiches from the Azure Bar always look dry and unenticing.

Last night we had a meal in Lumiere’s (French menu) and it was superb, world class and as good as you would get anywhere.

Lumiere 1.jpg

Lumiere 2.jpg

Lumiere 3.jpg

Food01.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/21/2019 at 2:23 PM, towel-animal said:

Also curious if you've taken advantage of Room Service yet and how that experience went? If you have any time to post a photo of the menu, that would be fantastic. 

10 hours ago, goorawin said:

The Butler service has been very good, mind you, on the Cloud we had a Butler that was unbelievably good, one you would die for. 

Sorry for the confusion, by "room service" I was referring to the dine-in-your suite option. Wasn't sure if they have a specific menu for delivery, or the food comes from the selections of the restaurants. 

Nevertheless, I'm delighted to hear that the butler service is so nice!

On 8/21/2019 at 4:15 AM, goorawin said:

Completed cabin. The bed is very comfortable and is able to be tilted which is a nice touch.

No, the Yacht Club is not open for dinner, which I and many other believe it should be for this type of cruising. So no buffet options for dinner.

Cabin completed.jpg

Thank you for posting these photos. Except for two suites at the front of the ship on deck 6, the cabins on deck 6 are Deluxe Verandah with 366 sq. ft. EXCEPT #612, #617, #628 and #633, which are Verandah with 344 sq. ft. Those four cabins are slightly narrower than the rest. Are you in one of those?  I was wondering if you are because you mentioned how the door makes it difficult to access the bathroom when it is open.  I am booked in one of those standard Verandahs on deck 5 so just wondering.  Hope you are continuing to enjoy your cruise!

I posted a few days ago but perhaps with all of the back-and-forth of messages and photographs no one had time to respond. So I’ll give it one more try. We are set to board the ship on September 10 out of New York. We are trying to get an idea from somebody who is presently on the ship as to what the ambient temperature is in the common area’s of the ship during the day and evening. I tend to run rather warm while my wife tends to run a bit cooler. We’re trying to figure Out how to pack.   Ships we have sailed on in the past 10 to keep the temperature pretty warm – – short sleeve weather. Is that the same on the scenic eclipse? We’d really appreciate it if somebody on board would take the time to answer this for us. It will help us pack and are sure that we will enjoy ourselves more. Thank you in advance to whomever will be kind enough to share an answer. 

22 hours ago, Carol From California said:

Thank you for posting these photos. Except for two suites at the front of the ship on deck 6, the cabins on deck 6 are Deluxe Verandah with 366 sq. ft. EXCEPT #612, #617, #628 and #633, which are Verandah with 344 sq. ft. Those four cabins are slightly narrower than the rest. Are you in one of those?  I was wondering if you are because you mentioned how the door makes it difficult to access the bathroom when it is open.  I am booked in one of those standard Verandahs on deck 5 so just wondering.  Hope you are continuing to enjoy your cruise!

Yes, it is the Deluxe Verandah suite.

Cruise is going well thanks. Today we visited Gros Morne Canada, which is a pretty and interesting area. Internet very slow at the moment which has not happened that many times. A couple of time it has dropped out completely for a short period,  but then that is to be expected in the region we have been. 

17 minutes ago, RockyandMoose said:

I posted a few days ago but perhaps with all of the back-and-forth of messages and photographs no one had time to respond. So I’ll give it one more try. We are set to board the ship on September 10 out of New York. We are trying to get an idea from somebody who is presently on the ship as to what the ambient temperature is in the common area’s of the ship during the day and evening. I tend to run rather warm while my wife tends to run a bit cooler. We’re trying to figure Out how to pack.   Ships we have sailed on in the past 10 to keep the temperature pretty warm – – short sleeve weather. Is that the same on the scenic eclipse? We’d really appreciate it if somebody on board would take the time to answer this for us. It will help us pack and are sure that we will enjoy ourselves more. Thank you in advance to whomever will be kind enough to share an answer. 

Sorry I missed answering your question. Most common areas on the ship are on the cooler rather than the warmer side. I would guess that they are held around 21 to 22 degrees C. That's very similar to the Silver Cloud. Cabin temp, is easy to change upwards from 18C. Hope that helps.

23 hours ago, towel-animal said:

Sorry for the confusion, by "room service" I was referring to the dine-in-your suite option. Wasn't sure if they have a specific menu for delivery, or the food comes from the selections of the restaurants. 

Nevertheless, I'm delighted to hear that the butler service is so nice!

We have not as yet used the in room dinning, however the menu is somewhat limited. There was also a question about  menus in restaurants as I did mention that there were no printed ones available . They do have a limited supply now in the restaurants but that is the only place to can see what is on the menu, they do not have one outside the venue, like so many other ships. That may change, one can only hope.

23 hours ago, docboss1 said:

G- How are the closets and balcony space in comparison to silversea? 

The Cloud had a walk-in-robe and certainly had more room and more hooks to hang items. The suite feels much the same size as does the balcony, I think it is quite a good size for short to medium duration voyages, without going overboard.

3 hours ago, goorawin said:

Sorry I missed answering your question. Most common areas on the ship are on the cooler rather than the warmer side. I would guess that they are held around 21 to 22 degrees C. That's very similar to the Silver Cloud. Cabin temp, is easy to change upwards from 18C. Hope that helps.

Thank you for the reply and for taking time out of your vacation to share your observations.  We both really appreciate your efforts!

• Like 1

Hi  Goorawin,  So glad things have improved since you boarded,  can  you tell me how the expedition staff are coping,  and who they are.  Is Kara Weller still head of expeditions and who  is on her team ?  Who is the Maitre'd  of the dining room ?

The pictures you put on of your bathroom  look like they got the fittings from Bunnings !!!  🙄

On 8/23/2019 at 10:09 PM, smoothCs4us said:

When Scenic first announced that they were building a cruise ship, we made a booking which was later cancelled due to the construction delays. 

As soon as the first plans were issued and also prior to the build,  we raised the question as to the  forward visibility because it looked then that this would be an issue. 

We raised this both in Scenic information sessions and also by email directly to Scenic. 

The replies were always that it would not be a problem.  

Amazing to have no actual observation lounge. 

Following up on the Observation Lounge here are a couple of photos. The one looking out is from a standing position. The third photo is of the best viewing deck which is deck 10. It has 360 degree viewing but unfortunately it also has a smoking area which limits some of it, sometimes. As well there is only one door leading to it.

Observation Lounge01.jpg

Observation Lounge02.jpg

Deck10.jpg

Many thanks for the photos, it will be most interesting to know how 200 passengers are going to enjoy viewing the icebergs as they cruise Antarctica. It appears the best view will mean going outside into the cold. 

We had a fantastic voyage to South Georgia and Antarctica onboard Seabourn Quest and although twice as many passengers the viewing from their observation lounge was amazing. We also had a great view from our cabin and balcony, as I guess the best option will be on the Eclipse, but it is always more enjoyable to be seeing the view on both sides of the ship and in a warm and fun environment.  

It will be most interesting to read more reviews as time goes by. 

The Discovery team leader is now Jason. From what we have been told Kara could not handle all the delays and uncertainty of the ship and decided to move on. Jason has been very good, as have all the other team members. Given the small number of staff, most outings have gone very well indeed, certainly better than expected.

One area that was working well in the beginning was announcements throughout the ship. However a number of passenger complained about having them in their cabin, so now if you wish to hear announcements you have to be in a public area or rush outside your cabin to hear them at all, which is totally unsatisfactory for an expedition ship.

The tour quality has generally been of a high standard, with good information and duration. Mostly they have used very competent local guides, and most passengers seem to have enjoying the experience.

One area where the team has excelled is with the evening recap and briefings. They have been entertaining, informative and not to long (about 30 minutes). The recaps and briefings are certainly the best we have experienced.

The hotel staff are settling in well and trying their best to deliver top service and they are getting there. There have been instances where passengers asked for something that was not on the ship, so at the first available port staff went into to town and purchased the product. Pretty good indication that they are bending over backwards to give the best service, and I’m sure other ships would not do that.

Anyway unless someone wants to know more information, I'll sign off as our cruise is quickly coming to an end. There is still a lot of work to be carried out to complete the ship so hopefully by the time it reaches NY most of it will be done. For all of you who are booked on the Eclipse in the coming months, I'm sure you will enjoy the experience.

22 minutes ago, goorawin said:

The Discovery team leader is now Jason. From what we have been told Kara could not handle all the delays and uncertainty of the ship and decided to move on. Jason has been very good, as have all the other team members. Given the small number of staff, most outings have gone very well indeed, certainly better than expected.

One area that was working well in the beginning was announcements throughout the ship. However a number of passenger complained about having them in their cabin, so now if you wish to hear announcements you have to be in a public area or rush outside your cabin to hear them at all, which is totally unsatisfactory for an expedition ship.

The tour quality has generally been of a high standard, with good information and duration. Mostly they have used very competent local guides, and most passengers seem to have enjoying the experience.

One area where the team has excelled is with the evening recap and briefings. They have been entertaining, informative and not to long (about 30 minutes). The recaps and briefings are certainly the best we have experienced.

The hotel staff are settling in well and trying their best to deliver top service and they are getting there. There have been instances where passengers asked for something that was not on the ship, so at the first available port staff went into to town and purchased the product. Pretty good indication that they are bending over backwards to give the best service, and I’m sure other ships would not do that.

Anyway unless someone wants to know more information, I'll sign off as our cruise is quickly coming to an end. There is still a lot of work to be carried out to complete the ship so hopefully by the time it reaches NY most of it will be done. For all of you who are booked on the Eclipse in the coming months, I'm sure you will enjoy the experience.

We had Kara Weller on our Silversea Cloud expedition cruise and it was previously announced she would be the expedition leader on the Eclipse. I had a feeling that changed and verified that on her Linked In page.  Thanks for confirming it.  And, than you for all the information you shared on the first Eclipse voyage!  We appreciate that you took the time out from your cruise to keep us all updated. 

1 hour ago, goorawin said:

Although I haven’t commented on your post I have read and enjoyed each one.  Thanks for all of your posts. We know it has taken time and energy to keep all of us future Eclipse cruisers informed!!  Your pictures have really meant a lot and helped with the narrative.

Dear Goorawin,

Very many thanks for taking the time to make so many of us more comfortable with what to expect on our future voyages.  I’m certain that that many more than those who posted have read your findings with interest.  If we’re ever on a cruise with you I owe you more than just a drink.

many thanks and enjoy the remainder of your time aboard.

Well we have now seen the ship here in Vancouver.

image.jpeg.5889f369be0a103223fa1ab9602e2d57.jpeg.

image.jpeg.73909424f05de6aacec51bde7ab7bdc7.jpeg.image.jpeg.eff4b8ed774225733c1acfd74139b595.jpeg.

I hope the little grey bags in this shot weren't yours Goorawin.They took a bit of a tumble.

image.jpeg.4aa3b2f310c8ae41bd9846c9d4952dcb.jpeg.

And from on high.

image.jpeg.df8afcf534034d258f27e2072672aba6.jpeg.

One Art Gallery in the Old Port area was pleased to see you.

image.jpeg.809bc0b47b23423f53cd5d947540a963.jpeg.

Noticed a few disembarking passengers headed to our hotel-the Auberge Saint Antoine.We originally planned our stay there because it was such a short walk from the cruise terminal.

2 hours ago, drron29 said:

Noticed a few disembarking passengers headed to our hotel-the Auberge Saint Antoine.We originally planned our stay there because it was such a short walk from the cruise terminal.

Vancouver???

4 hours ago, drron29 said:

image.jpeg.5889f369be0a103223fa1ab9602e2d57.jpeg.

image.jpeg.73909424f05de6aacec51bde7ab7bdc7.jpeg.image.jpeg.eff4b8ed774225733c1acfd74139b595.jpeg.

I hope the little grey bags in this shot weren't yours Goorawin.They took a bit of a tumble.

image.jpeg.4aa3b2f310c8ae41bd9846c9d4952dcb.jpeg.

And from on high.

image.jpeg.df8afcf534034d258f27e2072672aba6.jpeg.

One Art Gallery in the Old Port area was pleased to see you.

image.jpeg.809bc0b47b23423f53cd5d947540a963.jpeg.

Well I wasn’t going to comment again but Scenic have done it again. Last night, after a long day, and the final get together and recap on the whole cruise and just before dinner they asked everyone to completed an online survey, that night. They said it only had about 100 questions, when pressed by passengers, they said they could extend it to 48 hrs before completion!! How inconsiderate is that!!!!!!

If you have long flights etc you would really feel like filling out such a long form, They said you could not even get a copy, for your own reference. Even staff could not believe the request.

Well tonight I did try to logon, even through I tried three different browsers, and guess what the site timed out!!!!!!!! Will try again tomorrow, but seems they do not want comments on the Eclipse.

Many of us were starting to warm to Scenic but that stupidity has set our opinion right back again.

I just do not think they will ever learn, and they seem to have lost the plot.

Oh by the way, we disembarked in Quebec and that did not go as planned either.

We are staying in Quebec for three nights before travelling throughout eastern Canada and USA for five weeks.

• Like 2