Ocean Medallion...The Ultimate Data-Mining Tool.

cruisedoctor

43 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

How about Princess knowing *** do you or don't you exercise...  just EVERYTHING about you. Way too intrusive for my tastes.

All they need to do is look at me to know that I don't exercise!!  That is not a secret!

30 minutes ago, vampiress said:

if you are that concerned, i assume you don't have a credit card, a mobile phone, or use the internet.  you are already tracked, and "they" already know what you are going to buy. and i doubt you are protected by just turning off features.  there is tracking you can't turn off.  and you don't even need tracking turned on for them to do basic tracking of you, just your phone pinging towers as you exist through out the day leaves a trail that can be tracked.  really you are going down some tin foil hat path i can not follow you there.

You can't turn off the pings, unless you pull the battery, but the pings are only accessible by your service provider, not companies like Google unless you give then permission. I am not overly concerned about VZ. Microsoft and Google terrify me, rhetorically speaking. If you had any sense, they'd terrify you too.

As said, I usually browse the Internet on a proxy server.

3 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Cities do place counters on streets that record WHICH car passes over a point, just HOW MANY. That is a huge difference.

If you think Princess spent millions to improve your experience and NOT improve their bottom line first and foremost, you are incredibly naive.

Princess isn't looking to REDUCE congestion, they want to figure out how to fill every spot with the most people it can and then how to make more money once they have a venue packed.

If they can figure out a way to monetize it they are.

You are Princess's ideal sucker

..... er guest. Buying incredibly marked up jewelry on a cruise; even with a 50% off coupon it is overpriced.

no, No, NO! Princess is trying to squeeze every extra dollar they can out of me. They want to spend the least they can, while not losing business, charging extra for what USED to be included and finding new ways to fleece you.

If the medallion is such a tremendous imposition on you and everything is so bad on Princess, why do you still cruise on the line? Why not sail on a different line altogether?

Tom

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

If the medallion is such a tremendous imposition on you and everything is so bad on Princess, why do you still cruise on the line? Why not sail on a different line altogether?

Tom

Just switch to HAL already... Or just stick it in a Faraday bag?

4 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

If you just want to use it when you want to. Wrap it in tin foil till you want to use it.

I put my Medallion in an aluminum wallet to test the RFID blocking abilities of the aluminum wallet, and the ship sensors still found my Medallion.  I was shocked.   However, the Medallion would only unlock the door at about 2 feet when it was in the wallet, so the wallet did work a LITTLE bit.

My plan to have fun with the Medallion is take a water glass and sit in on the self in the bathroom and place the medallion in it.  Then each morning when I get up early to take photos of the Sun Rise from back of ship to take Medallion with me.  Then immediately return it to the shelf.  Do this the entire cruise.. Then let the data collection geek add that information to his spread sheet. 

Part B of this plan is to follow the wife when she unlocks the cabin door so I can get back in.

Part  C of this plan.  Of course I will have to take the Medallion with me to leave and return to ship.

Edited by 4x4bob
Add info
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 4x4bob said:

My plan to have fun with the Medallion is take a water glass and sit in on the self in the bathroom and place the medallion in it.  Then each morning when I get up early to take photos of the Sun Rise from back of ship to take Medallion with me.  Then immediately return it to the shelf.  Do this the entire cruise.. Then let the data collection geek add that information to his spread sheet. 

Part B of this plan is to follow the wife when she unlocks the cabin door so I can get back in.

Part  C of this plan.  Of course I will have to take the Medallion with me to leave and return to ship.

Just get a regular cruise so you don't have to stalk the dear wife! Then you get the best of 2 gizmos.

• 2 years later...

Couple of things (first post so be kind 😇), all of which aren't particularly all that interesting to many / most:

- I'm sure you're aware the Medallion is an RF transmitter, right?

- As such, they must be posted on the FCC site (yes, referenced elsewhere on this topic).

- You can look up the chip to see who manufactures and what its capabilities are. 

- Basically some ID info, a battery, antenna, magnets, 'chip stuff', etc.

- Uses BT (5.3 I believe), from what the chip's specs seem to be, plus a small Arm processor, some RAM & flash space. So basically a BT RF transmitter, IDing you to 'nearby' receivers. For example, I'd bet you're lighting up every cabin in any hallway as you walk back to yours; Whether it acknowledges YOU on any cabin's screen is a different matter. Just sayin'.

- I haven't bothered to collect the data transmitted (yet). Took one apart to see what's inside (from a prior P cruise; nicely packaged, I must say. Maybe after the next trip, I'll look further, if I care.

2 hours ago, DWIM said:

Couple of things (first post so be kind 😇), all of which aren't particularly all that interesting to many / most:

- I'm sure you're aware the Medallion is an RF transmitter, right?

- As such, they must be posted on the FCC site (yes, referenced elsewhere on this topic).

- You can look up the chip to see who manufactures and what its capabilities are. 

- Basically some ID info, a battery, antenna, magnets, 'chip stuff', etc.

- Uses BT (5.3 I believe), from what the chip's specs seem to be, plus a small Arm processor, some RAM & flash space. So basically a BT RF transmitter, IDing you to 'nearby' receivers. For example, I'd bet you're lighting up every cabin in any hallway as you walk back to yours; Whether it acknowledges YOU on any cabin's screen is a different matter. Just sayin'.

- I haven't bothered to collect the data transmitted (yet). Took one apart to see what's inside (from a prior P cruise; nicely packaged, I must say. Maybe after the next trip, I'll look further, if I care.

And we're sure you're aware that you chose to respond to a dead, 2 year old thread, on a subject that has been discussed probably about 8.4286 million times here on CC. All this information has been beaten to death so very many times....

Welcome to CC