Ocean Medallion...The Ultimate Data-Mining Tool.

cruisedoctor

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

She Who Must Be Obeyed and I have a transpacific cruise planned next year. 29 nights.  I wonder what Princess's plans are for extended cruises and medallion battery life?

Effy, perhaps, will handle battery replacement

I don't think I really care at all if Princess knows our habits on board. If they can monetize the fact that we never go to shows, spend a lot of time on the outside decks, and don't gamble then more power to them. I suppose they might offer different pricing on cruises booked by cheapskates like us who don't drink and don't spend money in the gift shops, but I think that's unlikely to happen.

Google asks me frequently for reviews on places we visit. Since I depend on reviews by others, I fairly often give reviews. I benefit from this. I know I can turn location off on my cellphone, but I choose not to since to me the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.

3 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

I don't think I really care at all if Princess knows our habits on board. If they can monetize the fact that we never go to shows, spend a lot of time on the outside decks, and don't gamble then more power to them. I suppose they might offer different pricing on cruises booked by cheapskates like us who don't drink and don't spend money in the gift shops, but I think that's unlikely to happen.

This sounds exactly like us.  We don't gamble or drink, and only spend money onboard for gratuities and OBC left over on shopping.  They don't make much off of us, lol.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

The medallion is not serviceable.

If it fails, they just give you a replacement.

I wonder how we'll know it's failed?  Maybe when we can't get into our cabin?

I wonder what their cost-benefit analysis showed before the rollout decision was made?

Remember - Skynet will become self aware......

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

I wonder how we'll know it's failed?  Maybe when we can't get into our cabin?

I wonder what their cost-benefit analysis showed before the rollout decision was made?

Remember - Skynet will become self aware......

Based on our recent experience this past week on the Royal, it will start to be obvious when the disk no longer functions properly. After a week, it was noticeably weaker and we had to approach our cabin door much more closely in order for it to read either of us. At the start of the trip, my wife's disk would open the door from literally 50 feet up the hallway, and by the time we left, that distance was down to about 10 feet. The Medallions should be fine for a week long trip, maybe 10 days(?) but on longer trips, it would not surprise me if the PSD was going to have to replace many of them.

Frankly, I would be thrilled for Princess to see proof positive that I move from one of their beautiful Piazza areas (looking especially at you, Royal Class ships) to another area when they start the seemingly non-stop, loud, high-energy activities each morning. Others may love it, but Zumba taking place a few feet from where I’m enjoying my morning latte is not what floats my boat. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Frankly, I would be thrilled for Princess to see proof positive that I move from one of their beautiful Piazza areas (looking especially at you, Royal Class ships) to another area when they start the seemingly non-stop, loud, high-energy activities each morning. Others may love it, but Zumba taking place a few feet from where I’m enjoying my morning latte is not what floats my boat. 

Just trying to order a cup of coffee during the activities is a challenge in itself.

I can't see why they couldn't hold it on deck 18 but that would mean they had to exercise without any AC. 😢

• Like 1

With three cruises booked with Princess next year, and all three using the medallions, I watched the 9 videos on youtube.  I must say, I was whelmed.  The only advantages I can see for She Who Must Be Obeyed and I are perhaps a faster check-in/boarding at the port and opening my cabin door.  

If you watch the youtube videos explaining all of the wonderful things that the medallion will allow you to do, notice how the actors are glued to their devices or using the many screens around the ship.  We don't cruise to have our noses stuck to our smartphones - other than reading books on our Kindle app - and have never needed much help navigating our way to the theater.  I've never had any trouble finding someone to take my drink order and find me again.  And I certainly don't need an app on my phone so that I can gamble anywhere on the ship.

I equate the medallion to all of the electronic/technology features on new cars today.  Fine while it works and expensive to fix when it doesn't.

I guess time will tell, but in the meantime I'll find a nice deck chair on the promenade and enjoy why I cruise - the ocean!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I took my Medallion apart and found it had a very commonly used  lithium CR2032 button cell in it.

2 for $1 at $Tree

9 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Hi Jeannie, Our next three cruises are on older HAL ships. After 49 days on the Royal Princess, we are ready for some old fashioned cruising.

Having a cocktail in Crooners before dinner is no fun when you can’t  have a conversation. There are continuing performances in the Atrium one where the performer kept making noises like gun shots. Really?. Scared the 💩 out of me more than once!

It’s a shame we didn't have the Medallion, Princess could have seen that some long time passengers do drink and spend money on excursions. 

Cheers, Denise 

Edited by dchip

9 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

We have yet to experience a Royal class ship let alone the medallion but I agree fully with your stance. I've heard a lot of complaints about the crazy noise and that lack of the relaxing atmosphere of the piazza on the older classes of ships. I like peaceful relaxation. One should have to go to a specific venue if they want to experience high-energy workouts and such. They shouldn't be in the central area.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Griller said:

I took my Medallion apart and found it had a very commonly used  lithium CR2032 button cell in it.

2 for $1 at $Tree

Sounds like that's where they're buying their cheap batteries.

The ones that don't last a full week before dying out. 😁

21 hours ago, Griller said:

2 for $1 at $Tree

5 for $1 on eBay with free shipping. Imagine what one would pay in bulk... :classic_blink:

I think the only thing the OM does tell people your location.... all your drinks, shopping etc, is all ready recorded by your Cruise Card on your On Board Account.....

It doesn't bother me OM thingie or not......

It is when they start charging for toilet paper..... I will complain...

Cheers Don.....

PS Now the next thing is micro chip everybody and do away with the OM

On 5/5/2019 at 7:36 AM, MissP22 said:

They actually replace the battery in it.  I had to have that done on my medallion on the last cruise. It was a quick change out.

9 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

They actually replace the battery in it.  I had to have that done on my medallion on the last cruise. It was a quick change out.

There's no way to open them that I can see and they probably just scrapped the old one & gave you a replacement.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Right....he cut it apart to see what was inside but it could never reassemble it.

Don't really know, as haven't yet sailed with OM ... but surprised that the device was not engineered with a longer lifespan

Just now, pms4104 said:

Don't really know, as haven't yet sailed with OM ... but surprised that the device was not engineered with a longer lifespan

I was only assuming that the reduction in range was caused by a weakened battery. Maybe it was another reason?

I didn't complain & just lived with it although it was annoying to have & wait at the door for 5 or 6 seconds each time.