Indy Spa... A Thumbs Down

Normally if something is a little off or even a lot off I don't say a word but our experience in the Indy hair salon really evokes a need to shred them.  Springing for pampering is not my norm but since our cabin bid up was not accepted I had some extra in the budget to splurge. My GF is a very attractive blonde that now and then could use some touch up on her roots. The staff person that greeted her could not be friendlier or nicer... She was scheduled for what should have been an hour to hour and half procedure to lighten up some. I checked in with her at that hour and a half mark and she replied they were nowhere close to done. Hour 2 then 2 1/2 passed with no end in sight. She had me go take our seats at dinner. At the 3 1/2 hour mark she finally appeared. I couldn't recognize her. I could tell tears had been flowing then I noticed a Lily Munsterish quaff!!!! Nearly black in places, uncountable shades darker. She had gone it to get lighter not darker! She couldn't tell when she left that had happened as it was still moist and didn't notice til she passed a mirror as it dried between salon forward and MDR aft.  She nor I are confrontational sorts and bit our tongues...  Hell, it was only $109 and we'd just have to fix.

Or was it... As she hadn't noticed when she left she authorized a $20 tip (total). A few days later (last night) I was playing with my RC app and scrolled down to my running list of charges. All seemed in order then There was an odd list of $89 charges added -subtracted- added- and subtracted with no explanation. I went to the service desk to ask what that was all about. A nasty young man would not detail what that was all about, instead saying "What does it matter since no charge actually stuck"???? I think if somebody was playing games (or mistakes) I deserve an explanation especially since we had been ashore all day the day they were applied. I scrolled one notch further and noticed yet another charge .... A $40 "tip" from the salon??? Four days later??? I scrolled back to the original salon charge. They had already taken a $19 tip on that! The nasty young man at the service desk said he couldn't /wouldn't help. Told me to take it up with the spa directly. They were closed and again closed this morning!!! So just doing my civic "buyer beware" duty and letting y'all know...

Does anybody have a telephone number or email related to the spas that I can escalate this complaint? The "stylist" is clearly incompetent and I'd hate to see anyone else have an issue like this...

We had a bad experience on Brilliance too...  Manicure started to peel before the day was even over.  Got it redone for free, but it peeled again after a day.  I will not donate another penny to Royal Caribbean Spas.  They need to switch providers.  

I am sorry about your bad experience.  Hope they can work it out for you.  

1 hour ago, APDMOM said:

We had a bad experience on Brilliance too...  Manicure started to peel before the day was even over.  Got it redone for free, but it peeled again after a day.  I will not donate another penny to Royal Caribbean Spas.  They need to switch providers.  

I am sorry about your bad experience.  Hope they can work it out for you.  

I feel bad because it was supposed to be a treat. To go in with Sondra Locke hair and come out with Lilly Munster black blend  when she went in for some root lightening is inexcusable. For them to pad the tip by an extra $40 (not authorized) is down right dirty... It spoiled an otherwise outstanding trip. 

My brother got a massage last year on Allure because he thought it would help his sore shoulder. The massage made his shoulder feel worse. He had to go to Guest Services twice and raise a stink but he got a refund.

I’ve never gotten a spa service on a cruise and am not tempted at all, especially after I heard about the hard sell for products that apparently is standard after every service.

Guest Services guy was rude and did nothing for us.  Told me to bring it up with the spa but they were closed last night and this morning before disembarkation. I'l lean on RCL from the forums then directly... Absolutely unacceptable. Never had a problem in a dozen cruises until now...

I am so sorry this happened to her. I am very vain about my hair and that would devastate me. I am also non confrontational and would smile while crying inside. 

I don't have the answer but they STOLE from you after you were generous and tipped them for poor service. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, watson61 said:

I’ve never gotten a spa service on a cruise and am not tempted at all, especially after I heard about the hard sell for products that apparently is standard after every service.

She mentioned that they tried and she knows the game...

8 minutes ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

I am so sorry this happened to her. I am very vain about my hair and that would devastate me. I am also non confrontational and would smile while crying inside. 

I don't have the answer but they STOLE from you after you were generous and tipped them for poor service. 

I'm on the warpath... and seldom come out on the short end of things...

• Like 1

Royal uses a contractor for their spa -- they just rent the space out -- so you'd need to know who their supplier is.  (I know in many cases it's Steiner, but not sure if that's the case for Royal.)  That's why Royal said to take it up with the spa directly, as they were the company that did the work, not Royal employees.

Hopefully you have before and after pictures of the botched job.  I haven't looked to see if you're still on board or if Indy changed today, but if you're still on board, definitely take it up with the spa people.  

There is an automatic gratuity added at the time of service -- nothing to be done about that -- but the additional $40 afterwards never should have happened.  

3 minutes ago, brillohead said:

Royal uses a contractor for their spa -- they just rent the space out -- so you'd need to know who their supplier is.  (I know in many cases it's Steiner, but not sure if that's the case for Royal.)  That's why Royal said to take it up with the spa directly, as they were the company that did the work, not Royal employees.

Hopefully you have before and after pictures of the botched job.  I haven't looked to see if you're still on board or if Indy changed today, but if you're still on board, definitely take it up with the spa people.  

There is an automatic gratuity added at the time of service -- nothing to be done about that -- but the additional $40 afterwards never should have happened.  

I get what you're saying but the salon was closed by the time we found out and again this morning before disembarkation. The cruise desk was told that and "not my problem" was the effective response. They did not answer when I asked what company is leasing that space. 

6 hours ago, DeepC said:

Does anybody have a telephone number or email related to the spas that I can escalate this complaint? The "stylist" is clearly incompetent and I'd hate to see anyone else have an issue like this...

Vitality Spa and Fitness employees are on contract with RCI. Try reporting your issue or complaint with Royal Caribbean by contacting its Post Cruise Guest Relations department. Call it at 800/256-6649 (514/285-9723 for outside the U.S.) or fax it at 800/256-6485 (M–F, 8 am–8pm; Sat–Sun, 9 am–7 pm EST).

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Vitality Spa and Fitness employees are on contract with RCI. Try reporting your issue or complaint with Royal Caribbean by contacting its Post Cruise Guest Relations department. Call it at 800/256-6649 (514/285-9723 for outside the U.S.) or fax it at 800/256-6485 (M–F, 8 am–8pm; Sat–Sun, 9 am–7 pm EST).

Thank you... Dozen cruises and first time I have ever had t complain...

5 hours ago, watson61 said:

My brother got a massage last year on Allure because he thought it would help his sore shoulder. The massage made his shoulder feel worse. He had to go to Guest Services twice and raise a stink but he got a refund.

Hmm, why did his shoulder hurt?  A massage may not have been the correct treatment.  Did they guarantee, or even state that they would fix it????

If you don't get a good answer fairly quickly, call and dispute the charge (all of the charges for the treatment) with your credit card company.

Sometimes you only have 30 days to do this, so don't wait.   They fix it, or dispute the charge.

1 hour ago, SRF said:

If you don't get a good answer fairly quickly, call and dispute the charge (all of the charges for the treatment) with your credit card company.

Sometimes you only have 30 days to do this, so don't wait.   They fix it, or dispute the charge.

In the USA, the Fair Credit Billing Act allows you 60 days from the date of the statement on which the charge appeared on to file a dispute.  

Disputing a charge with your credit card company should be a last resort, after exhausting all other avenues of recompense.

9 hours ago, twangster said:

Steiner Leisure does the spa service on Royal ships and many other cruse lines.

RCL were apologetic last night and forwarded me their info. No word back yet but it is a Sunday so I'll give em a little time. 

6 hours ago, brillohead said:

In the USA, the Fair Credit Billing Act allows you 60 days from the date of the statement on which the charge appeared on to file a dispute.  

Disputing a charge with your credit card company should be a last resort, after exhausting all other avenues of recompense.

As I mentioned I'm really non confrontational. Though I am pissed about the padded tip, my main concern is with how to fix my gals hair and how to keep the stylist from botching some other poor unsuspecting patron. 

Edited by DeepC

Dug deeper on the Steiner website and there was a section there dedicated to resolving cruise ship related issues. Forwarded a bunch of pictures and full description of events. Now lets see if they are customer oriented or just looking to scam a few quick bucks. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DeepC said:

Dug deeper on the Steiner website and there was a section there dedicated to resolving cruise ship related issues. Forwarded a bunch of pictures and full description of events. Now lets see if they are customer oriented or just looking to scam a few quick bucks. 

Regrettably, you may find that the answer is, as with many contractors on board cruise ships "scam a few bucks." If in doubt, check out the threads about the "art" auctions as well. Some of the massage services may be ok, but I would never use the spa treatments or hair coloring, nails, etc., on board ship. It's usually overpriced and from what I've seen on Cruise Critic, prone to problems. Sorry your gal had to find out the hard way.

Know full well about it being overpriced... What on a cruise ship isn't? Lacking quality is even expected... To be outright incompetent and potential for long term damage to hair  though is something I'm not going to just let go. I have a hunch you are right and the contingency plan is in place... I don't play nice when I give someone a chance to fix their "mistake" and they fail to. 

Sorry about your experience.  Hope it works out to your sanctification. 

All mass market and close to mass market cruise lines contract out their spa services to Steiner.  Years ago, Princess brought the spa service in-house on at least one their ships (thinking Caribbean Princess), while the rest of their ships remained with Steiner.  After a few years that ship had its spa contracted out to Steiner.