If you are relying on your credit card insurance ....

On 5/21/2019 at 9:47 AM, goodycruising said:

Thanks for the heads up. We now have a Qantas Premier card as well, and as I had already insured for the next cruise with Aust Post it is not something I had researched so far. I see that we have to spend minimum $500 and it needs to be a return trip as well, and both of these points are mentioned in the start of the document, which is good.

The return trip point was not something I had ever thought of....it is very easy to skim over the document looking for just the info on one topic, eg car hire insurance, or medical etc.

I head off tomorrow, this trip being covered by the ANZ Platinum card. However I received my Qantas Premier statement today along with some changes to terminology in the insurance policy.  It made me sit down and read it through again.  

Good news: interstate inconvenience insurance with no excess.

Noted this time:  transport accident insurance - to activate, the full amount of return travel has to be paid with the card, not just minimum $500.

Excess is $500 rather than $250.

Bad news: the "trip" must not exceed 30 days.  This is a real bummer!  My current trip is for five weeks.   One next year is exactly 30 days, so it's a good thing I don't intend to stay extra nights pre or post tour.  ANZ was longer, but not more than 3 months at a time (if I remember correctly).

I like the extra points earned on the Qantas card, and the bonuses, but I will have to consider very carefully before deciding to remain with it.  Only 30 days away is a deal breaker.  I will have to telephone the insurer for clarification.

• Like 1

I rang the Qantas Premier Card insurer this morning regarding the 30 days of travel.  Yes, ONLY cover for 30 days.  If you are away from home for 35 days, the last five days you are not insured.

BUT...... the whole complimentary insurance is ONLY for 30 days each year!  That’s right, 30 days of travel each statement year.  Ridiculous!

I have four overseas trips booked this year, and four next year, one of which is 30 days.  No problem If I either never claim or only need to once, but the point of travel insurance is peace of mind for every trip.

I will be ditching the Qantas Mastercard and keeping the ANZ Platinum visa with reliable Allianz.

Once again a timely reminder to read policies carefully and telephone to clarify any concerns.  

Those future tours had the deposits paid on the Qantas card.  I’ll make sure the balances are paid with the ANZ card.

My dealings with Allianz have always been good. The agents were friendly, caring and helpful and payment was prompt.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Port Power said:

I rang the Qantas Premier Card insurer this morning regarding the 30 days of travel.  Yes, ONLY cover for 30 days.  If you are away from home for 35 days, the last five days you are not insured.

BUT...... the whole complimentary insurance is ONLY for 30 days each year!  That’s right, 30 days of travel each statement year.  Ridiculous!

I have four overseas trips booked this year, and four next year, one of which is 30 days.  No problem If I either never claim or only need to once, but the point of travel insurance is peace of mind for every trip.

I will be ditching the Qantas Mastercard and keeping the ANZ Platinum visa with reliable Allianz.

Once again a timely reminder to read policies carefully and telephone to clarify any concerns.  

Those future tours had the deposits paid on the Qantas card.  I’ll make sure the balances are paid with the ANZ card.

My dealings with Allianz have always been good. The agents were friendly, caring and helpful and payment was prompt.  

A big 👎🏿 thumbs down for Qantas then they charge you top fees for the “rewards”

Got to read that fine print.My Westpac card also uses Allianz but the list of existing is minute in comparison with ANZ for instance I need to be cleared for high Cholesterol (which is no longer high with meds) ,,,the mind boggles,,,,

Cheers Carole

You mob who can still get cover via credit cards are lucky, unlike us older folk with declarable pre existing conditions who in many cases are rejected by Allianz and the like. 

12 minutes ago, NSWP said:

You mob who can still get cover via credit cards are lucky, unlike us older folk with declarable pre existing conditions who in many cases are rejected by Allianz and the like. 

Do not have to be old to have a pre existing condition that will not be covered by the Credit card insurance anymore.

14 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Yep, I know plenty that would qualify as being young but have difficulty getting coverage.

Not sure I count as young anymore, but getting insurance is getting harder each year.

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

Not sure I count as young anymore, but getting insurance is getting harder each year.

Depends who is doing the assessment and/or who you are being assessed against, compared to a 90 year old, you are young.

21 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Depends who is doing the assessment and/or who you are being assessed against, compared to a 90 year old, you are young.

Naaaah, dad’s 90, he’d have less trouble getting insurance than I do.