LOVE BUGS

Capt_BJ

I'm in Fort Myers and they are awful here. We were in Longboat Key last week and they were terrible!

One tip we learned (we're somewhat new to FL) is to take a wet dryer sheet to get them off. We did that when we were in Longboat and, although it left a slight residue, they came off pretty easily! Just make sure it's wet or it won't work (scratches cars?). And the residue washed off when my husband washed our cars last weekend (and again this weekend). 

This is one thing I had no idea about until we moved here. Ready for this season to be over!

Edited by dolita22
  • Like 1

They're still terrible here!  Last Monday 5/6 we drove from Cape Canaveral to Key West.  Washed them all off the windshield when we stopped for gas in Florida City and didn't see another love bug from there down to Key West (washed them off the rest of the car when we got there).  We had a great love bug -free week.  🙂  Left Key West Sunday 5/12 and again didn't see any love bugs until we hit the mainland.  They're all over the place in Cape Canaveral.  We work in Orlando so my car is a constant mess from driving on the Beachline.  Can't wait until these stinkers die off.

10 hours ago, cruisemom2 said:

They're still terrible here!  Last Monday 5/6 we drove from Cape Canaveral to Key West.  Washed them all off the windshield when we stopped for gas in Florida City and didn't see another love bug from there down to Key West (washed them off the rest of the car when we got there).  We had a great love bug -free week.  🙂  Left Key West Sunday 5/12 and again didn't see any love bugs until we hit the mainland.  They're all over the place in Cape Canaveral.  We work in Orlando so my car is a constant mess from driving on the Beachline.  Can't wait until these stinkers die off.

I haven't seen any love bugs in Fort Lauderdale this year.  The bugs don't appear to start until a bit further north. Going up 27, we didn't really see any south of Clewiston. 

Damn.  If they aren't gone by this Friday, I guess I'll be spending my vacation inside my friend's cottage all week.  Hit up Aldi and Publix before I get to her place to I can eat all week inside the house...  

My DH fished this Sunday and last in the ICW near Titusville. He says last week the bugs were in Titusville and this week they are all around Christmas on S.R. 50.

On my drive to work, they are similarly swarming in different areas on different days. Overall, the quantity has been decreasing, but they are hanging around.

OK.  Arriving in MCO Friday afternoon, getting the rental car and driving to Cocoa Beach.  How are those little buggers still?  Do I need to stop a WAWA and pick up something to clean with on the way???  Bringing enough electronics to stay inside and binge  watch some TV  in case the bugs are still plaguing the beach!!!  Grubhub or pizza delivery if I have to eat... 😉

I live in Melbourne between 95 and the beach and drove to the beach today .... zero splats and has been this way for a few days now

but I see plenty of cars that are a HUGE mess .... Mrs drove from east coast to west coast and back last Fri and got a decent number of SPLAT in the middle of the state

a hint for cleaning is a 'dryer sheet' ... one those fabric softener / static cling things ..... the stuff they are made from, the fake cloth, is abrasive enuf to get most bug gunk off while not strong enuf to damage paint.  You don't need the chemicals in a new sheet, an old used one actually is better ..... this a a good bit of water ... a gallon jug from any place and you should be able to improve things anyway . . . easy to pack a couple in the carry on for easy access . . . 

btw, I've heard this dryer sheet thing for years and ignored but recently gave it a try and must admit it works.  Not the best or only solution but saving old dryer sheets don't cost nuthin . . . 

Edited by Capt_BJ

They are usually bad inland, not on the beach areas.

Now the sargassum is another story this May.  It was horrible on the beach this week.

I hope it isn't another summer of the seaweed on the East Coast and Red Tide on the West.  Last year was a bad year for our beaches.

Thanks.  I'll put some extra Bounce sheets in my bag (I usually have 2 to use on static and smooth my hair).   I don't mind stuff on the beach - I grew up awhile on the West Coast and was used to all the dead seaweed and other ocean growth on the beach.  I am bummed that I'm missing the SpaceX launch by a day, though.  If I left today instead of tomorrow, I could have seen it.  

The bugs are definitely subsiding. Drove up the middle of the state today (US27) and didn't hit a single one.  None at my house either and we had a ton last month.  Hope for the best! Maybe you will just miss the buggers. 

I had a bunch of splats this morning on the last 20 minutes of driving from Cocoa Beach to MCO.  I can only imagine what it was like in high bug season!!!

I only have a few splats on the rental.  MCO to Cocoa Beach, CB to Vero Beach, CB to the northern part of Canaveral National Seashore.  Yep lots of sargassum, but easy to get across to the shore.  Biting bugs, that’s another thing.  My left arm looks like it was the main course at a bug dinner...

• 1 month later...
On 5/27/2019 at 8:50 AM, BNBR said:

Drove the 70 today and probably hit 15 or so bugs near Okeechobee. Not too bad.  Overall the bugs are definitely subsiding. 

So, we’ll be cruising in early September . . . will these be making a comeback during that time (this California girl wants to know)??  😳  We have June bugs here and they’re bad enough, but these sound so much worse!  

44 minutes ago, patcacmt said:

So, we’ll be cruising in early September . . . will these be making a comeback during that time (this California girl wants to know)??  😳  We have June bugs here and they’re bad enough, but these sound so much worse!  

Being early September, never know. That's literally the 2nd half of love bug season, lol.  

Love bugs aren't that bad.  They don't bite, they fly slow, they aren't like mosquitos or fast moving flies. Don't stress it.   Annoying? Yes. But it's manageable.