Ncl breakaway pneumonia

Robertjw

OP,  have to agree with others. What is the reason for your question? Even if you did, by some chance pick up an URI while on vacation, this has little to do with the cruise itself and it is very hard to track down the cause anyway.. What were you planning on doing with the information anyway?  

• Like 2

On 5/6/2019 at 10:08 PM, Robertjw said:

has anyone contracted pneumonia or other respiratory illness on the 4/28/19 sailing on the ncl breakaway? 

We were on the Breakaway on the cruise directly before yours, the one that embarked on 4/21 and disembarked on 4/28. I was fine, but the day after we disembarked, my wife got norovirus *and* pneumonia!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My gut feel is that you're more likely to get a respiratory illness/ pneumonia/flu om flying to  the ship than you are from being on the ship.  My sister and several of her in-laws recently went on an RCCL cruise to Cuba.  They got the flu --- first one SIL, then another, then my sister, and so forth.  When she talked with her son-in-law who's a physician, he said the timing indicated that the first SIL would have been more likely to have been exposed prior to getting on the ship.

Doesn't answer the OP's original question, but it seems like those types of illnesses are spread easily on planes with the recirculated air.

yes I did sail on ncl 4/28, used the hot tub in the haven that day and the next. by 5/1 not well, by 5/2 double pneumonia as diagnosed by the med team. had not gone ashore, and did not fly down. drove to Miami. I thought by asking the question implied that I was sick. in the med office there were a lot of respiratory patients. most of the cruise was spent there. so my post was to not only see if it was just me, and to also let others know just in case they were sick as well. I had no negative intentions by posting. just wanted information. I apologize if I was too vague. I am also a long time cruiser having been on celebrity, princess, Royal Caribbean, and costa, many times with no issues. I don't want to upset anyone else. so I'll stop replying. I appreciate those that have provided their comments. 

• Like 1

Pneumonia has a pretty long gestation period before you notice symptoms.....on the low side, at least a week. .....on the high side, a month.  In all likelihood, you contracted it well before you sailed and happened to feel sick while on the cruise.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Pneumonia has a pretty long gestation period before you notice symptoms.....on the low side, at least a week. .....on the high side, a month.  In all likelihood, you contracted it well before you sailed and happened to feel sick while on the cruise.

Yes, that is what I had thought as well. I still don't understand exactly why the OP posted. He was home, he was gotten sick on the ship,, he has cruised without getting sick many times, but haven't we all. It really wasn't going to do anyone any good to post after the fact. But anyway, he did explain so let's just let the thread die a natural death I guess. 

On 5/10/2019 at 7:30 AM, newmexicoNita said:

OP,  have to agree with others. What is the reason for your question? Even if you did, by some chance pick up an URI while on vacation, this has little to do with the cruise itself and it is very hard to track down the cause anyway.. What were you planning on doing with the information anyway?  

why is it an issue for you? The man asked a simple question. Do you work for Norwegian? 

On 5/10/2019 at 7:30 AM, newmexicoNita said:

On 5/10/2019 at 9:20 AM, Robertjw said:

I had no negative intentions by posting. just wanted information. 

If you had no negative intentions, then why would it matter if anyone else go sick?  Just wondering.

Edited by NLH Arizona

1 hour ago, Robertjw said:

why is it an issue for you? The man asked a simple question. Do you work for Norwegian? 

The man, which I assure you are talking about the OP is you. I am not the only one wondering why you posted this?? It isn't going to change the fact you did get ill, which is too bad and I am sorry for that. As has been said, there is almost no way to trace the origin of something like this.   

BTW; just because I don't understand why you posted the question does not mean I work for NCL or anyone else for that matter. I do wonder why you would think that. I was not defending NCL or accusing them, I just wondered why you posted?