Independence UK 2020 sailings cancelled

Well, if you look at Southampton prizing for 2019 (and 2020) demand can‘t be that low. If you e.g. look at Celebrity all prizes from Southampton are very high compared to past years but prizes from Dublin have been unbelievable low for the past weeks. Anyone wants an 11 night cruise to Iceland in June 2019? Balcony cabin currently offered for USD 1,200 per person, same applied for May cruises. I even found a balcony for USD 900....

Well after having our TA on Indy cancelled for next May we booked a 5 night cruise in February from Tampa to Key West and Cozumel literally 3 days ago. We booked from Tampa and not Port Canaveral as we didn’t want to do the Bahamas ! Then what happens they cancel Cozumel and put on Nassau and CocoCay 😡 I have got to say that despite being Diamond our loyal to royal days are well and truly over. We have a cruise booked on Celebrity in October but after that we are going to try Princess. This is not just based on the cancellation and changed itinerary but having just done a pretty unsuccessful cruise on Explorer we think it’s time. It’s a shame and I really don’t know what there game is re the UK market. 

• Like 2

I was going to book the TA back to the states for my 50th birthday, but then they pulled it.

Now i'm trying to find something else to fit around the rest of our plans which are to go to Disney afterwards.

I don't want to sail for 7 night and only have 2 / 3 port stops....Boring...... Likewise I don't really want to do the Bahamas as none of the stops interest us. Plus the idea of being taken to a private theme park island and being trapped there is horrible.

The package put together by a UK travel agent on the TA was a good price and I can't find anything that includes flights and hotels that come close.

At the moment i'm looking in to the Freedom out of San Juan but it  will cost us nearly a £1000 each more........ 

Lots of nice ports stops not many days at sea but the down side is lots more flying which is making it so expensive, plus it's shorter than I want to do. Was hoping for a 10 day then a week in Disney. Before anyone points outs yes I know there were a lot of sea days on the trans and I was prepared for that. But the cost of the package made it worth it.

Now i'm waiting to see what they come up for the Indy instead but i'm not hopeful......

Oh and I've looked at all the others cruiselines and none of them have anything that gives us all the elements of land and sea we are after.  

I'm hoping they have got their figures right by pulling the Indy and make what they want from more stops to Coco Cay. Was it worth upsetting so many over on this side of the pond, who now don't trust them and are going elsewhere, well I don't know.

For some over here, we have long memories and don't forget having our dreams shattered by what some would say is a greedy unkind act by a company.

If anyone can suggest a Ship with a Balcony cabin sailing around the 6th of Nov 2020 for 10 days disembarking in the Florida area including flights and then 5 days in the Disney area that comes in under £2000 i'm happy to consider as i'm out of further ideas.......

I agree with you wholeheartedly. We were very upset when our trip was cancelled and felt there wasn’t any real alternative except Anthem from Southampton to ports we are already very familiar with.

All our promotions were taken from us, such as, included gratuities, WiFi and a drinks package. The price on Anthem for a JS was £2000 more than on Independence, losing us our JS and double points too.

I felt on the whole the British contingent had stamped their feet for a few days but then had let it go, when really RCI needed to know that this was not an acceptable way to treat loyal customers. I took the time to write a letter outlining my disappointment in their decision and their utter disdain for all those affected. I told them we were aware that Anthem prices were raised overnight, and that agents had been told not to honour any previous sailing promotions.

I received a phone call in response and our drinks packages were reinstated. However, later that week all sailings on Anthem included a drinks package so I’m afraid the letter had little impact it just made me feel better. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, minikiss said:

I was going to book the TA back to the states for my 50th birthday, but then they pulled it.

Now i'm trying to find something else to fit around the rest of our plans which are to go to Disney afterwards.

I don't want to sail for 7 night and only have 2 / 3 port stops....Boring...... Likewise I don't really want to do the Bahamas as none of the stops interest us. Plus the idea of being taken to a private theme park island and being trapped there is horrible.

The package put together by a UK travel agent on the TA was a good price and I can't find anything that includes flights and hotels that come close.

At the moment i'm looking in to the Freedom out of San Juan but it  will cost us nearly a £1000 each more........ 

Lots of nice ports stops not many days at sea but the down side is lots more flying which is making it so expensive, plus it's shorter than I want to do. Was hoping for a 10 day then a week in Disney. Before anyone points outs yes I know there were a lot of sea days on the trans and I was prepared for that. But the cost of the package made it worth it.

Now i'm waiting to see what they come up for the Indy instead but i'm not hopeful......

Oh and I've looked at all the others cruiselines and none of them have anything that gives us all the elements of land and sea we are after.  

I'm hoping they have got their figures right by pulling the Indy and make what they want from more stops to Coco Cay. Was it worth upsetting so many over on this side of the pond, who now don't trust them and are going elsewhere, well I don't know.

For some over here, we have long memories and don't forget having our dreams shattered by what some would say is a greedy unkind act by a company.

If anyone can suggest a Ship with a Balcony cabin sailing around the 6th of Nov 2020 for 10 days disembarking in the Florida area including flights and then 5 days in the Disney area that comes in under £2000 i'm happy to consider as i'm out of further ideas.......

PS we are looking for the exact same sailing for 2021 - so I’ll watch for your responses with the same interest. We’ve done that crossing before with celebrity and then had a week in WDW - but £2000 would be perfect! 

The package I had the travel agent alter for us was the Trans on Indy, coach to Southampton, Balcony cabin,  transfer to hotel at Universal for 5 nights, they were doing 3, and return flight to the UK. all in £1860 each.

Can't get close on most parts with any other cruise.

Lose out flight wise as now got to get at least 2 maybe 4 rather than 1.

length of cruise has shrunk now from 12 to 7..... disappointing.

We won't get the free transfer to the hotel so more expense.

Get to do the same days in Disney though which is a must for Hubby as he wants to go to the Star wars part at Disney Hollywood. I have to include that part as he's also 50 around the same time I am.....

The Freedom is coming out at £2600 but if we do one from the Florida area I get something for around £2100 but no way as nice as the package I had planned on.

The travel agent is also doing a similar package on the Anthem but the ports days are fewer and more sea days which is a no no for Hubby......

13 hours ago, Alohaaloha said:

PS we are looking for the exact same sailing for 2021 - so I’ll watch for your responses with the same interest. We’ve done that crossing before with celebrity and then had a week in WDW - but £2000 would be perfect! 

I am too looking for something like this for November 2020! We were planning to be on the TA! 

15 hours ago, gorrylikelorry said:

I’m still waiting for my refund. And my FCC!!! Anyone else? 

We were told it would take 10 days from the date we cancelled,  which has only been about week but no FCC yet. But we were also told that if we book another cruise in the meantime (which we did as per my previous post and they’ve also changed the itinerary on that) the credit could be applied to the balance. 

Sue 

16 hours ago, gorrylikelorry said:

I’m still waiting for my refund. And my FCC!!! Anyone else? 

I had our refund two weeks after cancellation, and my FCC on the date stated in the email. 

They asked if they could apply the FCC to the balance of our next Cruise, but as it’s valid for two years I said I’d like to just hang back with that and decide myself which Cruise to apply it to.

if I hadn’t had my FCC or deposit by now I think I’d be calling them to see why?

On 5/31/2019 at 5:03 PM, Alohaaloha said:

I had our refund two weeks after cancellation, and my FCC on the date stated in the email. 

They asked if they could apply the FCC to the balance of our next Cruise, but as it’s valid for two years I said I’d like to just hang back with that and decide myself which Cruise to apply it to.

if I hadn’t had my FCC or deposit by now I think I’d be calling them to see why?

We have just received our deposit refund but where do you find your FCC ?

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 12:43 AM, gorrylikelorry said:

I am too looking for something like this for November 2020! We were planning to be on the TA! 

So I think I've found the one for us, no way as cheap as the TA on Indy. As said i'm struggling to come up with anything as close price wise. Still looking to be paying £500 more each for flights cruise and hotel afterwards.

I noticed a 9 day on Celebrity on the Equinox sailing on the 6th of Nov, (my birthday). Ports are Grand Cayman, Aruba Bonaire and Curacao, no silly private islands Good.  The price at 1st looks high but they are including a classic drink package and the gratuities are free. Tips are worth about £105 each so that in it's self is a good saving. Don't normally purchase drinks packages as I really don't think they are worth it for the amount we drink... But if it's included well that's another saving even if we only have 2 or 3 drinks a day, Alcoholic or not.. So with those included it levels it out to about the price of some of the others I've seen. Afterwards we will stay in Orlando for 6 nights flying home on the 21st (hubbies birthday). LOL I made the mistake of telling the new girl at the TA we wanted 6 days in Disney and she took that to be where we wanted to stay so priced up a Disney hotel. Ouch no wonder it was so expensive a quote. I asked what it was for just the flights and cruise and re quoted £2100. Still working out where in the Orlando area we want to stay.

Anyway it's looking like that's the cruise we will be taking, just got to convince Hubby it's the best alternative.

So looks like RCCL have forced us to jump ship and try someone else. We like Princess and I've heard Celebrity is similar.

For anyone still looking for alternatives you may want to try Celebrity ah the offer lasts until the 31st of August.

Jules

15 minutes ago, minikiss said:

So I think I've found the one for us, no way as cheap as the TA on Indy. As said i'm struggling to come up with anything as close price wise. Still looking to be paying £500 more each for flights cruise and hotel afterwards.

I noticed a 9 day on Celebrity on the Equinox sailing on the 6th of Nov, (my birthday). Ports are Grand Cayman, Aruba Bonaire and Curacao, no silly private islands Good.  The price at 1st looks high but they are including a classic drink package and the gratuities are free. Tips are worth about £105 each so that in it's self is a good saving. Don't normally purchase drinks packages as I really don't think they are worth it for the amount we drink... But if it's included well that's another saving even if we only have 2 or 3 drinks a day, Alcoholic or not.. So with those included it levels it out to about the price of some of the others I've seen. Afterwards we will stay in Orlando for 6 nights flying home on the 21st (hubbies birthday). LOL I made the mistake of telling the new girl at the TA we wanted 6 days in Disney and she took that to be where we wanted to stay so priced up a Disney hotel. Ouch no wonder it was so expensive a quote. I asked what it was for just the flights and cruise and re quoted £2100. Still working out where in the Orlando area we want to stay.

Anyway it's looking like that's the cruise we will be taking, just got to convince Hubby it's the best alternative.

So looks like RCCL have forced us to jump ship and try someone else. We like Princess and I've heard Celebrity is similar.

For anyone still looking for alternatives you may want to try Celebrity ah the offer lasts until the 31st of August.

Jules

Hi Jules

This is just a suggestion but a couple of times, post cruise,  we have stayed at Floridays on the lower half of International Drive. It is just around the corner from Premium Outlets and very handy for the Disney Parks. They have 2 or 3 bedroom condos with kitchen, washer dryer etc. There is also a road that runs up the side of Floridays that goes over the I4 so you can go either way to Disney or Universal without going on the motorway from Hell :0.

Sue

1 minute ago, mysticmum said:

Hi Jules

This is just a suggestion but a couple of times, post cruise,  we have stayed at Floridays on the lower half of International Drive. It is just around the corner from Premium Outlets and very handy for the Disney Parks. They have 2 or 3 bedroom condos with kitchen, washer dryer etc. There is also a road that runs up the side of Floridays that goes over the I4 so you can go either way to Disney or Universal without going on the motorway from Hell :0.

Sue

Thanks for that Mysticmum,  i'll have a look later.

We have been to Orlando twice before, once on Honeymoon the other my 30th. Both times stayed on international drive all be it different ends of it.

RC do not want the "traditional/old school UK cruiser" they want to attract the new generation of cruiser's, younger couples and families, hence bringing Anthem back - if it fails to do well I'd expect RC to leave the UK all together.

If you want to cruise on Indy (or one of their many great ships) jump on a plane and go enjoy the delights of the Caribbean. Just back from Indy's first cruise of the season, Northern Europe (our 2nd cruise this year), whilst the ship was nice, it's nothing special, and feels now a bit outdated (just like all the oldies onboard). Having done 9 Carribean cruises to date, I feel they are much better value than UK cruises, plus the weather is way better - the trip over to the US really is not a big deal.

43 minutes ago, UKCRUIZER said:

RC do not want the "traditional/old school UK cruiser" they want to attract the new generation of cruiser's, younger couples and families, hence bringing Anthem back - if it fails to do well I'd expect RC to leave the UK all together.

If you want to cruise on Indy (or one of their many great ships) jump on a plane and go enjoy the delights of the Caribbean. Just back from Indy's first cruise of the season, Northern Europe (our 2nd cruise this year), whilst the ship was nice, it's nothing special, and feels now a bit outdated (just like all the oldies onboard). Having done 9 Carribean cruises to date, I feel they are much better value than UK cruises, plus the weather is way better - the trip over to the US really is not a big deal.

Depends on what you are looking for. You do not find a nature like the Norwegian Fjords or the archipelago around Stockholm in the Caribbean. For me Caribbean island all look similar, just shopping and beaches and all overcrowded with people from too many big ships. 

Edited by Saab4444
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, CruisingJoe09 said:

@UKCRUIZERNot everyone can afford to fly to the Caribbean and some people dislike flying.

That is not RC`s fault. Indy is alive and kicking, if you wish to sail on here year after year, I am sure RC will be delighted to welcome you, but itl be in the Caribbean! Failing that I am sure the likes of P&O will welcome you aboard one of their ships from Southampton. That`s the great thing about cruising, the choices are endless, they have opened up the world for us!

32 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

Depends on what you are looking for. You do not find a nature like the Norwegian Fjords or the archipelago around Stockholm in the Caribbean. For me Caribbean island all look similar, just shopping and beaches and all overcrowded with people from too many big ships. 

RC wont be doing anything in Norway any longer so that will have to be done with someone else! Horse for course`s I guess, when it comes to cruising there is something for everyone, hence its popularity. I don`t think RC think much of the UK market, probably down to all the moaners who feel its there right to have the ship they want, on the route they want on the date they want all at a knockdown price! Despite what the old school think, Anthem will most likely do well, and certainly attract new cruiser`s, particularly families - which is exactly what they want! We are trying Anthem out of NYC in the new year and looking forward to seeing what she is like!

Personally do not think i will cruise out of the UK again, more than happy to jump on a flight and enjoy the offerings of RC & Celebrity around the Caribbean.

8 minutes ago, UKCRUIZER said:

RC wont be doing anything in Norway any longer so that will have to be done with someone else! Horse for course`s I guess, when it comes to cruising there is something for everyone, hence its popularity. I don`t think RC think much of the UK market, probably down to all the moaners who feel its there right to have the ship they want, on the route they want on the date they want all at a knockdown price! Despite what the old school think, Anthem will most likely do well, and certainly attract new cruiser`s, particularly families - which is exactly what they want! We are trying Anthem out of NYC in the new year and looking forward to seeing what she is like!

Personally do not think i will cruise out of the UK again, more than happy to jump on a flight and enjoy the offerings of RC & Celebrity around the Caribbean.

We did New England and Canada last October on Anthem and absolutely loved it :)  but give it a couple of days to get used to the different layout.

• Like 1

We have today been told by our T/A  in UK that because our Indy cancelled cruise was a " group booking " by them, RCI will not be giving the 25% compensation via them to us.We understood that the compensation was to be given to all affected cruisers on the cruise element of their booking, Our refunded deposit arrived without problem.

Anyone else told no compensation ?

59 minutes ago, Yogi21 said:

We have today been told by our T/A  in UK that because our Indy cancelled cruise was a " group booking " by them, RCI will not be giving the 25% compensation via them to us.We understood that the compensation was to be given to all affected cruisers on the cruise element of their booking, Our refunded deposit arrived without problem.

Anyone else told no compensation ?

Same here. I spoke to my TA who blamed Royal Caribbean. He said the FCC did not apply for the Transatlantic cruise because it was already at a subsidised rate.

I suspect because the TA has grouped us all together, Royal Caribbean had no idea who had booked - we certainly hadn't received an RC booking reference.

Basically we are being shrugged off by both Cruise 1st and RCI.

Another nail in the coffin of Royal Caribbean in the UK in my opinion. We have worked hard to get to Diamond Status but I can't foresee many more trips after the ones already booked next year are sailed and done with.

Shame. We enjoyed their product before it's hard nosed dollar driven side took over everything else 😞

Edited by Rotherham_Cruiser
  • Like 2

On 6/3/2019 at 6:50 AM, mysticmum said:

Hi Jules

Sue

20YRS ago I'd take my kids to Orlando, spend 2 weeks there in a 3bd/2Ba Condo with a week at Parks. Was cheaper then week on Royal. Now Cheaper on Royal then a single week in Orlando and Parks