Question about iMessage

BeachyBoo

Does iMessage still work on the ship's wifi without purchasing internet? I know it did for me on Escape in 2017. We will be on the Breakaway on Sunday, so was just wondering if this works on this ship the same way.

Thanks!

6 hours ago, BeachyBoo said:

Does iMessage still work on the ship's wifi without purchasing internet? I know it did for me on Escape in 2017. We will be on the Breakaway on Sunday, so was just wondering if this works on this ship the same way.

Thanks!

It does not work on Getaway without Internet so I doubt that it will on other ships. I think NCL got wise and closed the port that it uses.

I’m just off the breakaway and it DID NOT work at all. Not on the when connected to the WiFi and even the purchased minutes. I also wasn’t receiving texts through cellular at sea. We purchased the $1O messaging part of the app and it would only work with me and my husband, We couldn’t add anyone in other cabins. They tired telling us we had to go on our purchased internet minuted to use it with people outside our cabin, which I thought was pointless. Save the frustration and just purchase the unlimited “steaming” internet.

10 hours ago, Njkc said:

I’m just off the breakaway and it DID NOT work at all. Not on the when connected to the WiFi and even the purchased minutes. I also wasn’t receiving texts through cellular at sea. We purchased the $1O messaging part of the app and it would only work with me and my husband, We couldn’t add anyone in other cabins. They tired telling us we had to go on our purchased internet minuted to use it with people outside our cabin, which I thought was pointless. Save the frustration and just purchase the unlimited “steaming” internet.

This sounds like a change since last November when I was able to message people in other cabins. Bad news.

19 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

This sounds like a change since last November when I was able to message people in other cabins. Bad news.

I think the ability to use iMessage was a glitch that they have since fixed.

On 5/14/2019 at 11:34 AM, mjkacmom said:

No not imessage... she is saying that paying the money for phone to phone messages in the app only allowed communication with people within your own cabin.  Not with others on the ship, which I could do... assuming they also paid the fee.  Perhaps she wanted to messages others who did not pay the fee.

On 5/14/2019 at 11:34 AM, mjkacmom said:

Agreed, we were able to use iMessage (by connecting to the wifi but without logging in and using our wifi minutes) for about half of a cruise on Gem in Spring of 2017. While helping me with another issue, the IT guy saw an iMessage come in and looked at me funny and said that's not supposed to happen.  Within an hour we lost the ability.  😢 So I guess you can all blame me for them discovering this glitch.

On Breakaway and Star in 2018, iMessage only worked while logged into the wifi. 

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, htnut said:

Does anyone have any recent observation of iMessage working without "logging in" to your purchased Internet?

The ability to use iMessage without purchasing an internet package has been permanently disabled.

On 5/13/2019 at 12:41 PM, BeachyBoo said:

Thanks!

No, you have to purchase an internet package.