Merged: Notifications and Subscription Error — How do I unsubscribe to a thread?

4 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Are you the moderator? It seems to me that they did not move this topic out of ask a cruise question, so I think it is safe to say that it belongs here. 

No, just trying to assist folks in getting to the right forum for the info they need and where what is a technical question about this web site (not a "general cruise" question) will get the attention of CC's Help Desk.   (And this thread has in fact been moved to the Need Help forum; the mods are volunteers, they are not on duty 24/7.)

4 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

Just wondering, since I have never tried it. Why would you "follow" any given thread? If it's an active thread it would appear on the first page of any given section, you would see it any time you logged in. I can't imagine anything on this site that would be so important that anyone would need immediate notification about, certainly not if it results in emails every time someone posts something.  😃

Following a thread lets one read new posts at a convenient time, even days after.

Threads one wishes to keep up with may not be busy.

OP may wish to read new posts as they come in.

Some threads are essentially conversations with on no particular topic, between a few users.

14 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

The issue here is not a cruise question, it should be discussed in the Need Help? forum.  In fact, there's already a thread there about unwanted notifications exploding in the last few days.  (I had the same problem myself.)  It would be helpful to the Help desk to see the problems reported above as well.

Truly confused by this post. The thread was started in  Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! 

4 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

@CC Help Jenn  there’s a thread that was erroneously started yesterday in the Ask a Cruise Question forum (that should  moved here) in which people are discussing the same problem I reported above — suddenly getting a ton of unwanted notifications about posts on threads they are NOT following.  It certainly seems that something strange happened over the past few days to turn on notifications that people had not turned on themselves.  Thanks!

Did you even bother to read the OP?

@CC Help Jenn, I'm very surprised these threads were merged. Do you believe that the issue of read posts appearing in custom streams set to show only unread posts is related to people getting erroneous notifications?

On 5/17/2019 at 7:57 PM, ontheweb said:

I must have accidentally subscribed to a thread having received 11 e-mail notifications since this morning. How do I go about unsubscribing? 

Go to the thread concerned. To the right of the thread title, above the blue "Reply to this topic" button, there is a small box. If it says "Following", you are subscribed to the thread. Click that word and a drop-down will appear. Click the red button marked "Unfollow".

If the small box only says "Follow", and clicking that produces a drop-down that does not contain a red button, then you are not subscribed to the thread. In that case, only the CC software knows why it decided to honour you with a bunch of emails about that thread.

And it's happening again. The two threads I responded to earlier this session have instant notification although I did nothing to request that. And it must have also happened this morning since I also have notifications that I did not request.

I guess the next thing to do (after I make sure instant notification is not activated for this thread) is to stop reading e-mail from cruisecritic and report them as spam.

Also every thread I ever posted to now says instant notification; luckily most are old so I do not have to go through every one.

And BTW, I was the one who posted to ask a cruise question, and since I learned how to change the instant notification to do not notify, I hardly consider it an erroneous post.

Well, I've just had the opposite problem of that which seems to have been the most common complaint here. I replied to a new thread (the thread was new and mine was the first reply), and I was not automatically subscribed to it. I thought this was strange.

I therefore went to my notification settings to see whether they were as I expected. I discovered that they had been reset. "Automatically follow new content I post" and "Automatically follow content I reply to" had been unchecked, and "Play a sound when I receive a notification" had been checked.

I know that all three settings had been the other way around because I looked at that yesterday when trying to help with previous posts on this subject.

So the gremlin is still at work.

55 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

... I therefore went to my notification settings to see whether they were as I expected. I discovered that they had been reset. "Automatically follow new content I post" and "Automatically follow content I reply to" had been unchecked...

My Notification Settings have been changed too. I changed them back to the way they were. It appears that dang gremlin is working both sides of the pond!

Kat

On 5/20/2019 at 4:25 PM, Globaliser said:

Well, I've just had the opposite problem of that which seems to have been the most common complaint here. I replied to a new thread (the thread was new and mine was the first reply), and I was not automatically subscribed to it. I thought this was strange.

I therefore went to my notification settings to see whether they were as I expected. I discovered that they had been reset. "Automatically follow new content I post" and "Automatically follow content I reply to" had been unchecked, and "Play a sound when I receive a notification" had been checked.

I know that all three settings had been the other way around because I looked at that yesterday when trying to help with previous posts on this subject.

So the gremlin is still at work.

Same here. I had it previously set to only notify me when I'm quoted or my comment is liked, but it changed to notify me anytime someone posted in that thread. It also stopped automatically following threads I post in. And turned notifications sounds on, which I had off. I've changed everything back to the way I had it and it seems to be holding. We'll see what happens.