Merged: Notifications and Subscription Error — How do I unsubscribe to a thread?

A short while ago my main custom content stream started displaying read posts, see below. There is no rhyme or reason to the displayed posts. Note the dates! Previously only unread posts were displayed and once I had read them they disappear from the list. I did not make any changes in the stream definition until tonight when I started playing around with the settings in an attempt go get back to the original behavior. Does anyone have any ideas about what I might have done to change the behavior?

image.png.d44e816d6ce0d05ffe869953bfbf6c89.png

• Thanks 1

I had the same problem.  Not sure how I subscribed, but here is what seemed to work for me.  

Click on the drop down next to your screen name in the upper right.  Click on Manage Followed Content.  From their select Change Preferences and turn off all notifications.  

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I had the same problem.  Not sure how I subscribed, but here is what seemed to work for me.  

Click on the drop down next to your screen name in the upper right.  Click on Manage Followed Content.  From their select Change Preferences and turn off all notifications.  

Thank you. That worked.

• Like 1

Thanks for bringing this up.

I am unfamiliar with the graphic you displayed

(I'm not that involved in being informed,etc)

but like you, in the last 48 hrs. or so, something has run off the rails

and I've been getting FAR too many notifications about every little thing!

This morning, I found my notification settings

and thought I'd changed things for the better -only to discover I made it worse!

I just deleted a slew of useless notifications (20+?)

and have now changed my notification settings to Don't Send Me Anything At ALL!

Hopefully that will work?

ship-happens.jpg

On 5/15/2019 at 11:49 PM, broberts said:

Does anyone have any ideas about what I might have done to change the behavior?

I suspect you have done nothing at all to change the behaviour.

And neither did I.

This is a software malfunction? not of our doing.

All of a sudden (on Wed? like you) I started receiving way-more email notifications
than I'm interested in.

It's not us. It's something at the other end.

26 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I had the same problem.  

Not sure how I subscribed, but here is what seemed to work for me.  

Click on the drop down next to your screen name in the upper right.  

Click on Manage Followed Content.  

From their select Change Preferences and turn off all notifications.  

I just did exactly the same thing

after receiving waaaay too many email notifications over the last 2 days

without my having changed anything at all.

You are not alone!

I should now receive nothing at all. Should.

• Like 1

The problem is that there are some threads that I DO want to get notification for.  It seems that I have been automatically set to follow any thread that I replied to in the last couple of days.  If you want to unfollow a specific thread, go into the thread and click the "follow" button near the upper right and then select "unfollow."

11 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

I just did exactly the same thing

after receiving waaaay too many email notifications over the last 2 days

without my having changed anything at all.

You are not alone!

I should now receive nothing at all. Should.

I was going nuts yesterday.  When I started counting I had 26 notices in my in-box.  After turning them off I now only receive notices for reactions to my posts or when someone quotes one of my posts.  I do want to receive those.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I was going nuts yesterday.  When I started counting I had 26 notices in my in-box.  After turning them off I now only receive notices for reactions to my posts or when someone quotes one of my posts.  I do want to receive those.  

For some reason yesterday I had to redo all my settings. I don't want any notifications so under notification settings I selected do not send notifications and saved. Under notification list I turn all selections off and saved. What I originally did when the new format was pushed out. I don't know what and why it changed but back to no notifications. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

in the last 48 hrs. or so, something has run off the rails

and I've been getting FAR too many notifications about every little thing!

That started happening to me a couple of days ago as well.  I'd only set up notifications for threads that I affirmatively have "followed"  (my Roll Calls and a few others), but suddenly I was getting bombarded with notifications for threads that I merely had posted on.  Worse yet, I was get audio notifications, even though I had never turned that feature on.   

It took me a while to figure out how do deal with this (thanks to a search in this forum).  I pulled up "Manage Followed Content," to find that CC had me "following" a bunch of threads that I had not chosen to follow.   Using the "Change Preference" button, I unfollowed them, and, in my notification settings, turned off audio notifications and pretty much all notifications.

Today, so far, so good.  Keeping fingers crossed...

• Like 1

Things are a lot better over the last hour or two

but I'm still having to deliberately UN-follow the odd thread, here and there.

It happens in all computer systems. We'll sort it out! lol

On 5/15/2019 at 11:49 PM, broberts said:

A short while ago my main custom content stream started displaying read posts, see below. There is no rhyme or reason to the displayed posts. Note the dates! Previously only unread posts were displayed and once I had read them they disappear from the list. I did not make any changes in the stream definition until tonight when I started playing around with the settings in an attempt go get back to the original behavior. Does anyone have any ideas about what I might have done to change the behavior?

image.png.d44e816d6ce0d05ffe869953bfbf6c89.png

Wait!!  Look at your sort - it says oldest first - try changing that to newest first and see if the change stays, or if it reverts

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

11 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

Things are a lot better over the last hour or two

but I'm still having to deliberately UN-follow the odd thread, here and there.

It happens in all computer systems. We'll sort it out! lol

I actually counted 19 notifications, not the 11 I said in my original post. It turned out it was only the one thread that I responded to this morning that needed to be changed. I still do not know what I did to make the notifications alive. But, now that I see that it has happened to others, I guess I may have not done anything.

I did get the notification to the first reply to this thread, but that reply quoted me, so it was one I wanted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I would have had 30 by now. I went back to the thread and there are another 11 posts since I turned the notification off.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

I actually counted 19 notifications, not the 11 I said in my original post.

It turned out it was only the one thread that I responded to this morning

that needed to be changed.

I still do not know what I did to make the notifications alive.

But, now that I see that it has happened to others,

I guess I may have not done anything.

I did get the notification to the first reply to this thread,

but that reply quoted me, so it was one I wanted.

Same thing here. You changed nothing. I changed nothing!

Computers can change settings, and they do.

It happens. CC may have carried out a software upgrade

that's all it takes.

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I would have had 30 by now. I went back to the thread and there are another 11 posts since I turned the notification off.

Email CC help desk.  help@cruisecritic.com Possibly they could help. 

The issue here is not a cruise question, it should be discussed in the Need Help? forum.  In fact, there's already a thread there about unwanted notifications exploding in the last few days.  (I had the same problem myself.)  It would be helpful to the Help desk to see the problems reported above as well.

2 hours ago, Aplmac said:

Same thing here. You changed nothing. I changed nothing!

Computers can change settings, and they do.

It happens. CC may have carried out a software upgrade

that's all it takes.

Upgrade...”it’s not a bug, it’s an enhancement!” 🙂

Definitely happened to me about 12 hours ago and was irritating as heck until I figured out what to do. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, CC Help Jenn said:

Strange - not sure if we inadvertently changed something or if something else is going on.

Has your stream reverted back to normal or is it still showing old posts?

No the issue remains.

4 hours ago, CC Help Jenn said:

Wait!!  Look at your sort - it says oldest first - try changing that to newest first and see if the change stays, or if it reverts

Display order makes no difference.

image.png.b90717badc636b2d995b62a65bb32cc5.png

As with the Oldest first order, the read posts listed are not recent.

At a guess, the SQL that generates the list has been tweaked with unintended results.

27 minutes ago, broberts said:

No the issue remains.

Display order makes no difference.

image.png.b90717badc636b2d995b62a65bb32cc5.png

As with the Oldest first order, the read posts listed are not recent.

At a guess, the SQL that generates the list has been tweaked with unintended results.

Yes they are old. I know you follow more recent topics.  Weird.  I do not experience the same so I was hoping it was just a setting you chose.  We will look into 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

The issue here is not a cruise question, it should be discussed in the Need Help? forum.  In fact, there's already a thread there about unwanted notifications exploding in the last few days.  (I had the same problem myself.)  It would be helpful to the Help desk to see the problems reported above as well.

Are you the moderator? It seems to me that they did not move this topic out of ask a cruise question, so I think it is safe to say that it belongs here. 

Hi

Just wondering, since I have never tried it. Why would you "follow" any given thread? If it's an active thread it would appear on the first page of any given section, you would see it any time you logged in. I can't imagine anything on this site that would be so important that anyone would need immediate notification about, certainly not if it results in emails every time someone posts something.  😃

@CC Help Jenn  there’s a thread that was erroneously started yesterday in the Ask a Cruise Question forum (that should  moved here) in which people are discussing the same problem I reported above — suddenly getting a ton of unwanted notifications about posts on threads they are NOT following.  It certainly seems that something strange happened over the past few days to turn on notifications that people had not turned on themselves.  Thanks!

• Thanks 1