Dress Code Questions

I am just making sure I am packing correctly for a cruise in 11 days!!!  ❤️ ❤️

I think I can wear jeans or jean capris to dinner with a blouse (no tshirts, right?) every night except elegant night.  Swap out jeans for black dress pants and a blouse and be good for elegant night also.

My husband can do polo shirts (still assuming no tshirts) and jeans and swap out the jeans for khakis on elegant night.

The really tough ones .. 7 and 4 year old boys that hate wearing anything but tshirts/athletic shorts and pants.  Can they get away with tshirts and khaki shorts on most nights and then polo shirt for elegant nights only?  How do you see the little ones dressed in main dining room?

Thanks for the help!  First time cruising in 9 years and first time with kids...

The official dress code is the same for kids and adults, and is somewhere on the Carnival website- if I knew where it was I'd post it, but I don't.  

That said, you are very likely going to see everything from entire families in shorts and tshirts, to entire families very dressy on elegant nights including children.   So you'll likely see people more dressed up than your kids, and less dressed up.  For the most part, it's all good, I wouldn't worry- what you have in mind sounds fine. 

If you decide you want to get everyone all dressed up, or even not so dressy but in coordinated outfits, it's a great opportunity for a family picture.  I tend to like the casual backdrops better than the formal ones, so if your kids would wear them, maybe something like Hawaiian shirts would be fun for a night. 

The Maitre D / Dining staff is not turning away any small kids for wearing a Tshirt and shorts . . . .even on elegant night.

Just got off the Fascination and adults were let in with Tshirt and Shorts on elegant night.  That being said I would try hard to make sure you have some sort of collared shirt and dark jeans/slacks for elegant night.  The casual nights you should not have an issue with Tshirts.

The main thing to stay away from on casual nights are sleeveless shirts (men), gym wear, swimming trunks or any swim attire . . .and flip flops.

Edited by kdawg954

4 hours ago, kdawg954 said:

The Maitre D / Dining staff is not turning away any small kids for wearing a Tshirt and shorts . . . .even on elegant night

Maybe they should turn the parents away. Do they take their kids to church in shorts and a T shirt? No, why? Because it's not proper or social acceptable. It's 100% the parents fault if the kids are dressed like slobs on Elegant night. Sorry, is it hard putting on long pants, the same way, one leg at a time. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

You will be fine.  You can just do jeans if you prefer.  We get dressed up as we like to "adult" as we call it but on elegant night you'll see all kinds.  As long as it's not swim wear or basketball shorts you'll be fine.  T-shirts and jeans are common place, and I couldn't care less.  As long as they are covered I don't care what others are wearing. 

32 minutes ago, coevan said:

Maybe they should turn the parents away. Do they take their kids to church in shorts and a T shirt? No, why? Because it's not proper or social acceptable. It's 100% the parents fault if the kids are dressed like slobs on Elegant night. Sorry, is it hard putting on long pants, the same way, one leg at a time. 

Seen many kids at church with shorts and a T-shirt over the years.  If the pastor isn't bothered by it not sure why anyone else would be.

I do agree it is so rare to dress up as a family that why not dedicate 2 nights on your vacation to a nice dinner and dress nicely for the occasion.  My wife and I make it a priority to have 2 or 3 cruise elegant options.

But it just doesn't bother me if that is not what that family wants to do.  It's their vacation and if the Maitre D is cool with it then so be it. 

I rather spend more energy on convincing the waiter I need a second (or third) lobster.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, coevan said:

I was the kid who hated wearing pants when it was warm out and dresses all the time so in my eyes pants will never be the same as shorts. My parents always made me dress appropriately but I sure remember hating it.  I still come home and get right into shorts and a T-shirt. So I totally get why a family wouldn’t want to get the kids all fancied up on vacation if it leads to constant whining/griping/whatever. Luckily for those families, the dress code allows shorts most nights. My opinion (which I realize is worthless when it comes to what others do) is meet the dress code, take some nice pictures and eat, and then hurry up and get out of the fancy clothes. I understand some cruise lines have the dress code last all evening (or so I’ve heard) and I cringe just thinking about that so I’d never sail those lines. 

2 hours ago, coevan said:

But the Bible clearly says "come as you are". No one has EVER been turned away from church based on attire. The only people who are judging is only the people who look forward to these types of days primarily to get fancy and show off when the main point is to worship or in the case of cruising is to mind your business and eat your food

Edited by StarOne1
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, lynne smith said:

Re flip flops in dining room, what about Birkenstocks?  Granddaughter is addicted to them- acceptable??

Thanks 

If I were judging, I’d say they’re not flip flops so they’re fine. If I were making the call I’d say no worries, you’ll see people in flip flops and these are a step or 2 above. But I’m not deciding, you/your family members are. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, coevan said:

Most churches don't care how you dress now days.  As long as you are coming.  Pretty sure God doesn't care how you look, but how you feel and act!

• Like 1

We have a bit of everything at our church, too.  In the 80's we always dressed up for church - now we don't.  Our church no longer has a full choir - singers & band.  I know some still dress up - not to show off, but to show respect.  If they are more comfortable doing that, then that's what they should do.  God looks on the inside, not the outward appearance.  How a person dresses for worship has no bearing on their spiritual state.

As to how one dresses in the dining room - I'm not bothered by someone in shorts & a tshirt.  I'd rather not look at someone's armpit hair, though and I most certainly hope they are showered.  I do love watching all the people walk in on elegant night that are dressed to the nines, though.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, coevan said:

Chuch isn't the same as theme night on a cruise.  

And why should it be? 

There are basically no real hard standards enforced on carnival.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, purplephenom said:

My opinion (which I realize is worthless when it comes to what others do) is meet the dress code, take some nice pictures and eat, and then hurry up and get out of the fancy clothes. 

I used to do that and then decided I had enough pictures and didn't need to be uncomfortable on my vacation. 

1 minute ago, LMaxwell said:

I used to do that and then decided I had enough pictures and didn't need to be uncomfortable on my vacation. 

I totally get that- my dressing up isn't really very fancy- mainly dress pants that are as close to jeans without being jeans as possible and a loose top with nothing remotely uncomfortable on it, and I still can't wait to get back in shorts and a tshirt.  After dinner, I've got a one track mind- go change then have fun! 

My casual wardrobe tends to resemble a 12 year old boy's- athletic shorts, sports tshirts, and flip flops and I don't think anyone wants me showing up to dinner dressed that way.   

Well, as for my family we comply to the set standards for the MDR and even the kids but when we arent feeling it we head for Lido cause there is no standard there.  I personally hate wearing a tie on vacation but will do it for the ladies who like the feeling of everything being fancy. Even the staff dress up for elegant night.  I see it as an example.  

3 hours ago, dmdiver said:

I know some still dress up - not to show off, but to show respect.  If they are more comfortable doing that, then that's what they should do. 

This was the point of my post, respect.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, coevan said:

There's no dress code for church, what else would kids or people wear to church especially in summer?

Churches are just glad anyone goes at all, they aren't picky about what they wear

Edited by gilboman
  • Like 1