Two bedroom suites

MyTMo777

Please confirm (or deny) that I'm right about this: any 2- or 3-bedroom suite on any NCL ship is listed as a per person price, correct? So under no circumstances would it ever be cheaper to pay for a 2-bedroom suite and split the price between two couples? 

I am booked into a 2BR on the Breakaway and we are 3 people (two adults, 1 kid).  I just did a mock booking in the same room type on the same cruise with 2 people and then with 4 people.   The only thing that changes in the overall price is taxes and fees.  The cabin cost was equal across all three bookings.  ($8998 - 7day)

Logically, yes sharing that cabin is a great way to get a better room, or in the Haven.  

I will say that having just had that room type that not all things are equal in that cabin.   The main sleeping area is lovely with lots of storage, and of course that bathroom.  LOVE.  The second bedroom is the width of a sofa, has very compact storage, and the bathroom is on par with an inside.   For two couples there simply isn't parody between the two spaces, and I strongly recommend discussing it beforehand.  It worked nicely for us as we had a kid to banish to the tiny bedroom.   If we were traveling with friends I would have wanted to be in the big bedroom, but would not split the cost of the room evenly - it just wouldn't be right.   

Conversely,  I wouldn't want to travel with folks in other rooms who weren't in the same category (suite/haven) again.   We passed on a few perks because of our 3 mixed cabin types.  Bunking up is a great way to ensure that all people in your party are included in the suite/haven life.   

Happy to answer any other questions. 

Edited by TPgal
removed the word "overall" to the cabin cost as it implied that was the final cost of the booking. Not so.

47 minutes ago, TPgal said:

I am booked into a 2BR on the Breakaway and we are 3 people (two adults, 1 kid).  I just did a mock booking in the same room type on the same cruise with 2 people and then with 4 people.   The only thing that changes in the overall price is taxes and fees.  The cabin cost was equal across all three bookings.  ($8998 - 7day)

Happy to answer any other questions. 

So you are saying in H4 2 bedroom the total cost is the same for 2, 3 or 4 people (other then port tax/fees)

1 minute ago, drvmywifecrzy said:

So you are saying in H4 2 bedroom the total cost is the same for 2, 3 or 4 people (other then port tax/fees)

Essentially yes.  The price of the cabin did not change for me when doing a mock booking with 2 people or 4 people.  The variables are taxes, port fees, perk costs.  

Our vacation (for 3) all in is 9890, the same cabin for 4 clocked in at 10,084, and for 2 folks it only dropped to 9386. 

I've only done this for a 2Br Haven on the breakaway - I can only assume the formula holds true across the line.  I don't know how many mock bookings NCL will let me do before they block my IP.  lol

At any rate, the per person cost based on the mock bookings:

2 pax = $4693 

3 pax = $3296

4 pax = $2521

Now I did get the 3rd passenger free promo so my breakout cost is actually:

$4693 x 2 and the kid cost $194 - but it still all adds up to a similar cost for the cabin.  "Free" but not "free"

I guess the question to the OP is what kind of cabins could you get for $5000 each that would be equitable - could you get adjoining balconies and skip the butler/line jumping perks?   The suite life is pretty great though... TBH - this is a fun problem to solve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MyTMo777 said:

Please confirm (or deny) that I'm right about this: any 2- or 3-bedroom suite on any NCL ship is listed as a per person price, correct? So under no circumstances would it ever be cheaper to pay for a 2-bedroom suite and split the price between two couples? 

It is per person.But if you book when they are having 3rd and 4th passengers are free then all that is extra

are the port charges/fees/ insurance, tips, etc. Let's say that special is not on, the third and fourth pay

a reduced price. (somewhere around $500 or so per person). Keep in mind any perks like drink package

only apply to the first two people so the others would have to pay per drink or full price for the package.

In the two bedroom units the second bedroom is so small that they would not be getting an equal experience.

3 hours ago, MyTMo777 said:

While the price is per person, NCL is running a special on many itineraries right now where additional guest sail free. So, the average per person price of the room will go down with additional people. GREAT DEAL. BOOK NOW. 

The rate is for the first two people - the third and fourth - or more with a GV are at a reduced rate - free during third and fourth people free sales. The port fees and taxes are the same for all pax. I have noticed that NCL sometimes spreads the cost of the cabin over all of the pax.

We have used the suites when we traveled with my MIL it was cheaper than paying the solo surcharge on an inside plus the two of us in a balcony.  The 2 br suite worked very well for us on a 14 day cruise.

I think if it were two couples the couple staying in the second br should pay less. One would be better off trying to find another couple and get the GV.

• Like 1

I would never put a couple in that second bedroom, unless they were very small people! The bed is VERY small and very uncomfortable. The room steward can bring in an egg crate to make it better, but it won't help with the size. Maybe you could rotate out of the big bedroom so everyone has an equal chance to get a good night's sleep? It won't happen in that second "closet".

NCL the 2BR suite class SC is not all that bad having the 2nd shower bath facility.

The closet and storage space is cramped but the master BR has plenty of space

in closet and under bed.

That 2nd BR - the bed as viewed when you walk into the bedroom is fit for one person -

there is a pull down Pullman type bed available for a second and in the Main Room the

convertible sofa couch folds out for sleeping two more albeit kinda of tight quarters.

But all this does beat booking a second cabin adjacent or across the passageway

getting the suite perks and bennies.

The balcony is small suitable for two folks at a time in lounge chairs or four

with chairs and the small table.

If a Family Suite class SJ is available it offers a better sleeping arrangement but

only 1 bath facility and NO balcony.

The Haven 2BR suite is almost identical in features as the ones on deck 11 JEWEL

and DAWN class but the price is $1000-1500 more pp.

18 hours ago, TPgal said:

Essentially yes.  The price of the cabin did not change for me when doing a mock booking with 2 people or 4 people.  The variables are taxes, port fees, perk costs.  

Our vacation (for 3) all in is 9890, the same cabin for 4 clocked in at 10,084, and for 2 folks it only dropped to 9386. 

I've only done this for a 2Br Haven on the breakaway - I can only assume the formula holds true across the line.  I don't know how many mock bookings NCL will let me do before they block my IP.  lol

At any rate, the per person cost based on the mock bookings:

2 pax = $4693 

3 pax = $3296

4 pax = $2521

Now I did get the 3rd passenger free promo so my breakout cost is actually:

$4693 x 2 and the kid cost $194 - but it still all adds up to a similar cost for the cabin.  "Free" but not "free"

I guess the question to the OP is what kind of cabins could you get for $5000 each that would be equitable - could you get adjoining balconies and skip the butler/line jumping perks?   The suite life is pretty great though... TBH - this is a fun problem to solve.

So this is not true unless it is 3rd/4th guest free.  I just tried H4 on the Breakaway 6/30 sailing and guest 3 was $749 plus tax

Pricing Details

Item Guest 1 Guest 2 Guest 3
Cruise Fare $4,999.00 $4,999.00 $749.00
Govt Taxes, 
Fees & Port
Expenses
$170.71 $170.71 $170.71
Free at Sea Offer Gratuities: $154.40 $154.40 $0.00
Total per Guest $5,324.11 $5,324.11 $919.71

40 minutes ago, drvmywifecrzy said:

So this is not true unless it is 3rd/4th guest free.  I just tried H4 on the Breakaway 6/30 sailing and guest 3 was $749 plus tax

Pricing Details

Govt Taxes, 
Fees & Port
Expenses
$170.71 $170.71 $170.71

Right, but that 3rd (or 4th, etc.) person in the suite is MUCH less than the first two "pp" charges, even if not "free".

Huge difference, and they get all the same perks (in suite, or in Haven).

Although that bedroom is truly tiny, there IS that second full bathroom (shower, no tub), and because of the decent Living Room, that 2nd bedroom really only needs to be used for sleeping (or changing clothing).

How everyone actually "splits the total" is up to the group.  Probably it's not fair to charge the same for main vs. second BR, but I also don't think it's "fair" if the second couple (or third person) only pays that "extra", given the other suite space and all the perks.  But that's up to the group, obviously.

On some of the older ships, there is the same suite arrangement for less, without the Haven.  So the extra space (and bathroom) are still there, plus the suite perks, but not the Haven access (which has fewer amenities than on the new ships anyway).

GC

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, drvmywifecrzy said:

Pricing Details

Govt Taxes, 
Fees & Port
Expenses
$170.71 $170.71 $170.71

Well, I'll be damned, I was convinced the 3rd/4th guest free promo was a hoax (funny math).   

The next thing you'll prove is that the "free" airfare is actually free.