Cruises to Cuba

I am also very disappointed.  We were booked for Cuba last year, but then I unexpectedly needed surgery and we had to cancel.  We re-booked for this year.  Looks like we aren't going to get there this year either.  Very sad, we were genuinely interested in learning about Cuba.  I have heard there are both positives and negatives.  I also feel the people of Cuba will be negatively effected by this, because they were able to earn a little money from tourism.  I, too, am one who only booked my Sensation cruise for the Cuba stop.  My deposit was non-refundable, but final payment not due for a while.  If they will give me a refund on my deposit, I will cancel.  

13 hours ago, cruisecheap said:

Me too except I was not going until next September. Maybe in 2 or 6 years we will be able to return to Cuba.

Interesting that you picked those year increments......

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, DaisyRose said:

I am also very disappointed.  We were booked for Cuba last year, but then I unexpectedly needed surgery and we had to cancel.  We re-booked for this year.  Looks like we aren't going to get there this year either.  Very sad, we were genuinely interested in learning about Cuba.  I have heard there are both positives and negatives.  I also feel the people of Cuba will be negatively effected by this, because they were able to earn a little money from tourism.  I, too, am one who only booked my Sensation cruise for the Cuba stop.  My deposit was non-refundable, but final payment not due for a while.  If they will give me a refund on my deposit, I will cancel.  

I expect news in the next couple of days, I thought the way NCL handled it was creative, we will soon see Carnival’s approach.

38 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I expect news in the next couple of days, I thought the way NCL handled it was creative, we will soon see Carnival’s approach.

Their original approach wasn't enough to keep my booking which has now officially been cancelled. I am excited for my replacement cruise on the Independence of the Seas.

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Like 5

We're booked on the Paradise in August.  Our cruise ports changed from Havana & Cozumel to Grand Cayman & Cozumel, both of which we've visited multiple times.   After weighing all our options we decided to continue on with our cruise.  We booked well in advance at a steep discount and with the on-board credit we received at booking and the pp/OBC we'll be getting by staying with this itinerary it will be the least expensive vacation we've ever taken.

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 12:47 PM, panoramaofthepast said:

Carnival, RCI and Virgin have cancelled Cuba visits and added different ports. Carnival is offering $100 OBC for missing Havana or full refund. 

RCI is giving 50% off cruise fare on all Cuba sailings through 2019.

• Like 2

Since we are booked January 2020, not only are we going to Nassau and Half Moon Cay, we aren't getting any OBC.  Bummed, because we are disappointed just as much as people who are booked in 2019. 

We will keep the cruise but aren't happy with our outcome. If it weren't for our B2B we would cancel.

Well, we have requested our travel agent cancel our December 2019 Sensation cruise that went to Havana.  Our revised itinerary went to Ochos Rios instead, and that is not a place I was interested in visiting.  Carnival offered $100 per person OBCR to stay on the cruise, but I would have still spent close to $2,000 for cruise, gratuities, travel, etc., to go to a place I was not interested in visiting.  So, sadly, we have cancelled our cruise.  Maybe some day we will get there, but not this year.  

13 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I’m booked with NCL and haven’t heard anything?? 

What do you know about how NCL handled things? 

12 minutes ago, tom3562 said:

I’m booked with NCL and haven’t heard anything?? 

What do you know about how NCL handled things? 

Here is what I read:

Until then, passengers on cruises before Sept. 2 may sail a modified Caribbean itinerary and receive half off the cruise fare and half off a future cruise through Dec. 31 or cancel for a full refund.

Cancelled my Cuba cruise on the Paradise  last night. Since Carnival seemed to think that $200 OBC versus what Royal and NCL was offering their guests was good enough I proved that theory wrong in my case ..... They begged on the phone ....... Bye. Funds to me moved elsewhere ......

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

Cancelled my Cuba cruise on the Paradise  last night. Since Carnival seemed to think that $200 OBC versus what Royal and NCL was offering their guests was good enough I proved that theory wrong in my case ..... They begged on the phone ....... Bye. Funds to me moved elsewhere ......

My PVP usually calls me after I email him with all the info for the cruise I want to book.  He goes over the details and we chat a while.  This time, he just made the change I requested and sent a very brief email stating he had done it.  I suspect they are dealing with a lot of unhappy people for something they have no control over.  They are probably being “encouraged” by Carnival to push to keep bookings.

11 hours ago, DaisyRose said:

Well, we have requested our travel agent cancel our December 2019 Sensation cruise that went to Havana.  Our revised itinerary went to Ochos Rios instead, and that is not a place I was interested in visiting.  Carnival offered $100 per person OBCR to stay on the cruise, but I would have still spent close to $2,000 for cruise, gratuities, travel, etc., to go to a place I was not interested in visiting.  So, sadly, we have cancelled our cruise.  Maybe some day we will get there, but not this year.  

I would have canceled too if it were going to cost that much to go somewhere I didn't really want to go.   For us we booked our airfare and hotel the night before on points.   Our cruise, including gratuities was a bit over $1000 for two people, with an original $50 OBC,   With the $200 OBC they're now offering we just decided to go with it and make the best of it, although our ports are Grand Cayman & Cozumel - which we've visited multiple times.  I could have canceled and gotten my points back, but we just decided it ended up being a pretty inexpensive get-away.

We were looking at a March cruise the day before the cancelation.   It was perfect - date, ship, the port of departure and port of call exactly what I wanted.     

You would think that they would replace one unique destination with another, or at least not replace it with the exact same itinerary of every other cruise out of the same port. But no, itinerary now Nassau and Half Moon Cay. 

Why does EVERY SINGLE sailing out of Charleston this spring have to go to the exact same ports? 

3 hours ago, Two kids and a dog said:

We were looking at a March cruise the day before the cancelation.   It was perfect - date, ship, the port of departure and port of call exactly what I wanted.     

You would think that they would replace one unique destination with another, or at least not replace it with the exact same itinerary of every other cruise out of the same port. But no, itinerary now Nassau and Half Moon Cay. 

Why does EVERY SINGLE sailing out of Charleston this spring have to go to the exact same ports? 

Thats the way the majority of ports are. Boston is only an hour an a half drive for us, but our choices are Bermuda or New England and Canada. So, you have to fly to other ports. 

We were surprised and dissapointed last evening when we got an email from CCL telling us our Cuba/Key West Oct 12, 2020 from Charleston had an itinerary changed.

I understand the Cuba cancellation BUT they also took away Key West .. and gave us Princess Cay and NASSAU.

Come on ... Nassau STINKS .  Almost every other cruise out of Charleston goes to Nassau.   Princess Cay and Key West would have been fine

I'm trying to compare what each of the cruise lines that were set to go to Cuba are offering guests as compensation.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but sounds like NCL and Royal Caribbean will give you 50% off to stay on the sailing to some other destination.  And Carnival is only offering $100 shipboard credit per person??  That sounds ridiculous! I am booked on the Viking Sky for January 20th.  I called Viking and they had no information "but will be calling guests individually maybe next week".   It better be a good offer.  Let me know if anyone hears anything.  Thank you!

1 hour ago, oregon runner said:

I'm trying to compare what each of the cruise lines that were set to go to Cuba are offering guests as compensation.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but sounds like NCL and Royal Caribbean will give you 50% off to stay on the sailing to some other destination.  And Carnival is only offering $100 shipboard credit per person??  That sounds ridiculous! I am booked on the Viking Sky for January 20th.  I called Viking and they had no information "but will be calling guests individually maybe next week".   It better be a good offer.  Let me know if anyone hears anything.  Thank you!

That weak ass offer from Carnival is exactly why I cancelled. Before anyone says they'll simply fill this cabin you should see what they are asking for this particular "adjusted" 5 day cruise that goes to blah Carnival and GC now ..... $674 PP for an OV cabin .......for 5 days and two ports! Now that's laughable! Good luck filling those cabins at those prices for that new crappy itinerary ..... less that 60 days out as well. $200 OBC ..... laughable..... nuts. 

50 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

That weak ass offer from Carnival is exactly why I cancelled. Before anyone says they'll simply fill this cabin you should see what they are asking for this particular "adjusted" 5 day cruise that goes to blah Carnival and GC now ..... $674 PP for an OV cabin .......for 5 days and two ports! Now that's laughable! Good luck filling those cabins at those prices for that new crappy itinerary ..... less that 60 days out as well. $200 OBC ..... laughable..... nuts. 

I agree I bet the prices drop for those sails closer to the sail date. 

4 hours ago, HillBilly Bob said:

That appears to be true for every port, every cruise line.  They create schedules that NEVER change.  

Some homeports have very limited ports they can get to.  If you are stuck to a certain homeport, try going on a Journey cruise from thre which are typically offered a couple times a year.

1 hour ago, tallnthensome said:

LOL, I am getting the feeling you were not impressed with what Carnival offered.

Edited by jimbo5544

24 minutes ago, elcuchio24 said:

I agree I bet the prices drop for those sails closer to the sail date. 

I expect the prices to drop sharply immediately after final payment date.  These cruises are probably good ones to book as a last-minute cruise, as they are very unlikely to fill the ships at the current prices.  When Carnival decided to keep the prices the same and offer $100 OBC per person, I wonder if they actually thought out the scenario through the sailing date?  It seems like a big miss to keep such high prices on those cruises.

• Like 1

My cruise August 3rd is well past final payment date and still absurdly high at this minute. Like I said, they’re nuts if they think anyone will pick up the slack at 675 per person for an OV for a 5 day cruise. Mind boggling when MSC, Royal, and NCL took care of business. I not only cancelled this years Cuba cruise but next years Bermuda on the Radiance while I was at it.